Is this too close of a call? MSY to Port of New Orleans

psmoove

Hello all,

My family of 5 are going to be spending Christmas this year onboard the Breakaway departing from New Orleans.  We are flying in on the day of the cruise (I know, a cardinal sin, but we couldn’t pull the kids out of school a day early).  We purchased our flights through NCL’s flight promotion.  Our arrival at MSY is at 12:40 p.m.  The ship is scheduled to depart the port at 4 p.m., and according to NCL, we need to be on the ship 2 hours prior to departure, so 2:00 p.m. is the cut-off time.  This makes me nervous.  For those who have cruised out of New Orleans before and flew into MSY, how easy is it to navigate the airport and how long does it take to get to the port from the airport?  I’m considering not checking any bags as that can save some time too.  Also, how flexible is NCL with that 2:00 p.m. departure?  On the last cruise I took with them, I remember that they actually waited for a handful of passengers, but this was at Port Canaveral.  Thank you for any advice!

IF you don't check any bags and IF your flight lands on time and IF the traffic isn't too bad, you might get there by 2pm. I have flown into MSY multiple times and it has taken me anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes minimum to get close to the port (I usually stay near by).  By any chance do you have NCL transfers?  That might help a little bit. I have seen them hold the ship for almost an hour in NOLA due to delayed flights but that doesn't mean they always do. Its too close to comfort for me but then if the flight is over an hour long, I always fly in the day before.  Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

18 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

The only way I would keep that flight time is if I have NCL transfers. Even then it makes me scratch my head.

So if I purchase airport transfers from NCL, would that help in having the ship wait for us?

Thank you all that have responded so far.  It’s definitely making me think of alternative arrangements.  I just don’t understand why NCL would book this flight for us considering the close time.  I’ll call NCL Air tomorrow to see if they can move our flight to the night before.  Hopefully they can and that the fees are reasonable.  

If you have NCL flights, you obviously have NCL Transfers.  You have five people and others will be on the same flight.  It is Christmas and sorry to say, everything will be late.  NCL will watch your flights since they booked you on it.  It is my experience on holiday cruise that they will hold the ship for a time.  They will let you onboard until the last second.  The 2 hours before embarkment is just a caution.  

You will be kind of nervous but if I were betting, you will make it. Try to have faith.  I would still check bags because it is to much luggage to carry one.  Others on your flight will do the same.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

NCL flights - transfers - would think that NCL would expect their guests to have luggage

and wait a reasonable time for it to be off loaded from the NCL flight to the claim area

and passed on to the NCL guest or bus shuttle operator and then at the port get it on

board the ship post haste while the guest and gangplank are being stowed -

WHEW that was close.

Side note - there really is no rush to depart NOLA for port calls in the gulf or other

destinations - after clearing the delta of the Mississippi River it is a least a SEA DAY

anywhere to where the ship is going with plenty of time to make up for any delay.

The down river and returning up river portion of the cruise is mostly unremarkable

due to passage in the twilight dark hours of the night - - -

On another token arriving a day early alternative -

Stay at local airport hotel use shuttle to the hotel -

Next day shuttle back to the airport to meet the NCL rep and transfer to the port !

A great deal more relaxed way to handle the situation -

Let NCL transfer shuttle driver handle the mayhem at the port - it is his job - - -

As others have said, since you booked the Air via NCL they should wait (a reasonable) amount of time for you. They tack on the transfers (at a cost) so unless you tell them not to they should be included.

I would bet that you make it.

Edited by bortman23
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update: we made it on the ship!  We didn’t check in any luggage and were able to get to the port within 45 minutes of arrival.  Thank goodness our flight out of LAX wasn’t affected by the bomb cyclone weather event.  NOLA was a mess- we were in line for nearly 1.5 hours to get through security and check-in.  Finally got in the ship at 2:30, and right now at 5 pm local time the ship is still docked.  Now the vacation begins!  Thanks for the help!

• Like 10

As you cruise out of NOLA, look for some civil war battle ground sites ( it there is still daylight).  You will pass by the Battle of Calumet.  Look for an oblisk in a field, and a big two story colonial looking house.  That is the battle field and place where many soldiers were laid to rest.  If I remember my history, I think that was the last battle in the Civil War.  Have fun!!!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, mskaufman said:

I usually figure if you have to ask, its too close.  I am risk averse and would rather be waiting on line at the port than worrying that my flight is an hour late.

If you have to ask…. Wisest words ever - that means you already have doubts and are just hoping someone will tell you it is possible.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RD64 said:

If you have to ask…. Wisest words ever - that means you already have doubts and are just hoping someone will tell you it is possible.

First, the OP is already on the ship, sailing down the river. And, second it was an excellent question to ask to those of us who have sailed out of NOLA and flown through MSY. 

• Like 2