CPAP MACHINES!

PoohUnderstands

Our next cruise will be the first with my hubby using a CPAP machine.  I have read in several places that you can order distilled water to your stateroom and also when get onboard you just ask your steward for an extension cord and they will provide you with one at that time.  I have looked at all the "logical" places to order the distilled water on my PC and on the horrible Princess app, but can't seem to find it anywhere.  Has anyone ordered it recently and guide me through the steps to order?  Thanks.

Pooh

@PoohUnderstands Greetings! I see we are "neighbors"!  (Soddy-Daisy) I also travel with a CPAP but I never use the ship-supplied extension cords.  After the first time (and always tripping over it as it crossed the cabin) I investigated a better way.  If you pull out the bed just about a foot or so you should see a European style "2 prong" outlet (220 volts).  They are typically used for the bedside lamp.  Get yourself (from Amazon) an adapter that gives you a European 2 prong as well as a US-style socket.  Most all CPAP power supplies are dual voltage (obviously check yours for sure.)  These adapters are CHEAP!  You can quite often get a 2 pack for under $10.  MUCH better than having a cord snaking around your cabin!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, ElkGroveCruiser said:

It's on your cruise summary on the website.  

Go to Guest Check-In Status the Dietary Request for the appropriate passenger.  It's on the dietary request page.

We always tell our steward that we need distilled water as soon as we board.  It's always there when we get back from dinner.  

4 hours ago, Crashe said:

We use the adapter that @Rick&Jeannie mentioned but also use an extension with usb and 120v plugs.  (From Kingston @Rick&Jeannie!)

If I had to purchase now I would get the one with built-in USB.  I've had these for quite a long time...before they started adding the USB! 😄

I picked up the adapter mentioned above to try on our next cruise. A few cruises ago I was able to get the last extension cord from Engineering.  After that I brought my own and some Gaffer's tape to tape it to the carpet.  Gaffers tape is what they use in Theater, it works great & leaves no residue when removed.  I'll be bringing that again in case the adapter doesn't work.

• Like 2

I use a travel CPAP (Breas Z2) that can run on a rechargeable battery and I use an HME filter for the humidity.

It uses the same hoses and masks my home unit uses.  No extension cords or distilled water needed and it fits perfectly on the nightstand.  It’s perfect for cruising! 

• Like 2

Mine has maxed out settings, I’m used to breathing in a wind tunnel, folks who have a cpap feel mine and freak out on the pressure (I have no neck…😂).  I would love something for our RV and power outages (sleep in truck with ac-dc converter or rv generator).  I’ve had mine 7 years and have not used it three times…if I don’t have it, I may sleep in 15m naps…first thing I pack and always a carry on.  I’m interested though but need to talk to my doctor first….

12 minutes ago, Crashe said:

Mine has maxed out settings, I’m used to breathing in a wind tunnel, folks who have a cpap feel mine and freak out on the pressure (I have no neck…😂).  I would love something for our RV and power outages (sleep in truck with ac-dc converter or rv generator).  I’ve had mine 7 years and have not used it three times…if I don’t have it, I may sleep in 15m naps…first thing I pack and always a carry on.  I’m interested though but need to talk to my doctor first….

@CrasheYes it’s worth talking to your dr about since you have to have a prescription.  This unit has the same min and max pressure  range as my full size Resemed Airsense 11 and came programmed to my Rx.  You can get an adapter to plug it into a cigarette lighter in car or RV and as mentioned it works on portable battery.  I bought the battery designed for the unit but there are other ones that work as well. 

I love how it fits perfectly on the Princess nightstands!  

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 1:07 PM, Shelly97060 said:

I use a travel CPAP (Breas Z2) that can run on a rechargeable battery and I use an HME filter for the humidity.

It uses the same hoses and masks my home unit uses.  No extension cords or distilled water needed and it fits perfectly on the nightstand.  It’s perfect for cruising! 

I used a Z1 for 5 years, on my last trip it gave me a code 33 when I connected the hose - basically, the internal $1 battery that is soldered to the circuit board was dead. They offer to fix it for $250 & it would take up to 60 days.  Just a warning, as you get to the 5 year mark, make sure you test it before traveling.

11 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

I used a Z1 for 5 years, on my last trip it gave me a code 33 when I connected the hose - basically, the internal $1 battery that is soldered to the circuit board was dead. They offer to fix it for $250 & it would take up to 60 days.  Just a warning, as you get to the 5 year mark, make sure you test it before traveling.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Does this one accommodate a water reservoir?

No, it doesn’t need a reservoir. It uses a small HME filter that turns your breath into moisture ( works great). The filter last 7-14 days for me  (depending on climate). 

A62C17D3-ABCC-4BDE-B2C7-3CC15E1B5F24.thumb.jpeg.092f5cb3238f1b12d822a12c136311ea.jpeg

Edited by Shelly97060

I was able to pickup a Resmed AirMini at a great price on Cyber Monday, I got it in no time, have set it up & find it pretty nice. One thing I appreciated with the HDM/Breas Z1 was the LCD display. The AirMini requires  youto pair your phone & use the Resmed app to access it.  I've used it for a few nights & it's fine for my needs.  It also allows for the HME filters that use your breath instead of requiring distilled water.  

A quick search shows that pretty much all of the travel CPAP's are still on sale.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, t&atravel said:

I’ve had to run the extension across the room before, the tape was great! Gaffers tape is made for this! You can vacuum right over it and it doesn’t leave a residue. It’s magic, I use it around the house in hidden areas to keep wires up out of the way of our robot vacuum. 😀

2 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

It should work. I tried to find the adapter that I've been using from Amazon but it appears that it has been replaced by the style that you show.  Most European style 220v plugs are recessed into the wall so you have to make sure that the body style will allow it to seat all the way.  Yours shows an example of it actually plugged in so I think you will be good with that one.  I'm not sure where you intend to use this...either at the desk or behind the bed.  If you plan on using behind the bed then you may be wasting some money with an adapter that has USB plugs.  They will be almost useless in that location.  You could save some money and get the same style as you show but without USB for less money.  If your plan is to use at the desk then it should work.  We use a "travel brick" multi USB charger that has a standard 110v cord but will operate on dual voltage for use at the desk.  This way, I'm covered for my CPAP using the adapter behind the bed (no cords across the floor) and the USB charger at the desk.  That pretty much covers my power needs in the cabin.  I've yet to run across a ship that I couldn't use this plan!

And yes...I use a Resmed Airsense 10.  I think all the Resmed devices are dual voltage.  You just need to get a proper plug adapter...NOT a converter!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Thanks 1