Dumping Ports and substituting sea days

ausbod

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think some still have it for 2023 - wishful thinking.  It has been a month or so since I last checked. 

I hope no one books with the belief that they are going to go there despite it used to be a truly great port.

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I hope no one books with the belief that they are going to go there despite it used to be a truly great port.

When the USSR  collapsed my dad said go quick it won’t last.  Well I never made it and if he was right it may be closed for generations.  He always thought that both China and Russia only open briefly throughout history and we were living in a golden age

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If there is a port you really want to visit - fly there.   Don't take a cruise ship.    

Never take a cruise if you will be disappointed if a particular port is canceled. 

If you might ever want to say "The only reason I took this cruise was to visit X"  then please don't take the cruise.  

That’s only used at guest services to receive something 

for their bucket list port that was missed yawn

17 hours ago, ausbod said:

Had booked on Noordam for the San Diego to Sydney cruise in October but then when ports were cancelled and substituted we

cancelled. Now we notice this has happened with Zuiderdam cruise to Fort Lauderdale.

We have a cruise booked on P&O Australia on the former Star Princess (now Pacific Encounter). Today we were advised that 

Komodo Island was substituted with Lombok and also our Cairns overnight had been substituted with an additional sea day.

My feeling is that Carnival Corporate have directed brands to reduce port time and increase sea days to save fuel costs.

Doesn’t matter that many choose a particular cruise for specific ports that we wanted to visit. We are not the first consideration 

anymore.

I am in the Zuiderdam now.  Nicaragua was cancelled due to some problem with Nicaragua.  Hualtuco was cancelled because two days ago  there was a serious medical

issue and the medical team  had to transfer the passenger by launch to shore to get treatment.  It took about six hours.

Medical Emergencies happen.  

7 hours ago, liketraveling said:

I am in the Zuiderdam now.  Nicaragua was cancelled due to some problem with Nicaragua.  Hualtuco was cancelled because two days ago  there was a serious medical

issue and the medical team  had to transfer the passenger by launch to shore to get treatment.  It took about six hours.

Medical Emergencies happen.  

Well to be brutal some people should not be on the ship.  I once lost a port due to a medical emergency.  The guest was also a client of my agent so I heard the inside scoop - he had just had open heart surgery, flew to Athens and boarded a ship - all against doctor’s orders. I do blame that passenger for making us lose a port.  So selfish. 

same with a bike tour I was on, the tour had to be cancelled 2 miles in - same reason.  Man had had open heart surgery the week before!  Stupid and selfish 

Edited by Mary229

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Well to be brutal some people should not be on the ship.  I once lost a port due to a medical emergency.  The guest was also a client of my agent so I heard the inside scoop - he had just had open heart surgery, flew to Athens and boarded a ship - all against doctor’s orders. I do blame that passenger for making us lose a port.  So selfish. 

same with a bike tour I was on, the tour had to be cancelled 2 miles in - same reason.  Man had had open heart surgery the week before!  Stupid and selfish 

I was talking with a guy at the starting line of the Sound to Narrows (a 12K race in Tacoma, WA) who had just had open-heart surgery. I wondered why he was even attempting the race and hoped he wouldn't end up killing himself trying. About 10K into the race he passed me with a big smile and said he was doing great. 

On 11/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, ausbod said:

My feeling is that Carnival Corporate have directed brands to reduce port time and increase sea days to save fuel costs.

Doesn’t matter that many choose a particular cruise for specific ports that we wanted to visit. We are not the first consideration anymore.

Ships might save a lot of fuel by travelling at half speed, but I doubt that's the reason the port was cancelled.

That said, I would agree that it is annoying when several ports are cancelled/changed on a voyage. IMO, the ship operators should be able to announce the changes before embarkation.

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

I was talking with a guy at the starting line of the Sound to Narrows (a 12K race in Tacoma, WA) who had just had open-heart surgery. I wondered why he was even attempting the race and hoped he wouldn't end up killing himself trying. About 10K into the race he passed me with a big smile and said he was doing great. 

Both of these folks had had open heart surgery one week! prior.  Doctors usually are just letting you walk around the block then

• Like 1

Mary - couldn’t agree more, while things can happen to any of us at any time and the lengths the cruise lines go to for medical issues are greatly respected, there are selfish people as you say who are tempting fate with zero concern for anyone else.

On 11/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, ausbod said:

Had booked on Noordam for the San Diego to Sydney cruise in October but then when ports were cancelled and substituted we

cancelled. Now we notice this has happened with Zuiderdam cruise to Fort Lauderdale.

We have a cruise booked on P&O Australia on the former Star Princess (now Pacific Encounter). Today we were advised that 

Komodo Island was substituted with Lombok and also our Cairns overnight had been substituted with an additional sea day.

Doesn’t matter that many choose a particular cruise for specific ports that we wanted to visit. We are not the first consideration 

anymore.

I'm currently on the zuiderdam. HAL is not willy-nilly canceling ports. Cortino Nicaragua was canceled by the country. This affects all cruise lines. We found out prior to boarding. Huatulco Mexico was turned into a service call only due to a medical emergency the prior day requiring the ship to divert to a nearby port to off load a seriously sick passenger. The diversion, evacuation ( with zuiderdam medical staff) and re boarding of that medical staff took over 4 hours, putting us in huatulco the next day at approx 1130am. The ship had been scheduled to leave at 2 that day, so it was a short day to begin with. The ship had only enough time to send staff ashore to get the required documention to proceed to Guatemala. While disappointing to miss huartulco, we on board totally agree with the circumstances. God forbid it was any of us in dire need of serious medical attention we would hope the same decisions be made.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4