Hair loss

shipgeeks

My hair has begun falling out in alarming quantities.  No change in diet, meds, shampoo, hairbrush.  Routine blood tests don't show anything.

There are lots of recent posts on my news pages, but they are all ads, so I have not read any.  Perhaps Big Brother knows I've been silently thinking about the subject.

Related?  This year I've met two women who have lovely, full hair, but seriously receding hairlines at the front. Beautiful, unblemished skin where there used to be hair.

Any thoughts/remedies/cures?

Have you just had a baby?  While pregnant you don't lose the normal bit of hair daily /weekly ... so after having the baby, you have some loss coming to you.  

My daughter has this problem -- it started during puberty -- no Covid, no pregnancy.  My father claimed he started losing his hair after being put to sleep (with Ether) for a small surgery at age 15.  Anyway, I can say more about my daughter:  Of all the doctors to which I took her, the dermatologist helped the most.  Google Alopecia.  

A possibility is stress ... you might want to talk with your doc about an anti-anxiety Rx.  You may not feel anxious, but once the anxiety goes away, you'll realize that maybe you were.  It can be the little things ... worrying about being late for an appointment, concern about a business/social event ... people often don't realize that their stress is not 'normal'.  Some of us are just 'wired' and have been all our lives.  I know several people who have had intermittent hair loss as young adults.  It slowed and finally stopped once they got their anxiety under control.  

• Like 1

My recently-retired family practitioner husband says things to look at are hormone levels (whether you are female or male! increased testosterone, via progestin in women, will do that for either), if female going into menopause, and also just the regular cycle of hair growth and shedding. High TSH would be picked up in routine blood panel, but not the "sex" hormones until specially ordered.

He says it was a common complaint in his practice with virtually no treatments!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:54 AM, shipgeeks said:

Thank you, all, but no to all of the above:  Have not ever had covid, definitely no pregnancy, no stress.

I'm not recommending anything, but I thought it was spooky that this article came up in my MSNBC feed today:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/beauty/at-62-jennifer-grey-opens-up-about-hair-loss-i-didn-t-know-what-was-going-on/ar-AA13WDfy?

• Like 1

Interesting; thank you.  That was one of many articles I've come across in the past couple of months, which has made me wonder if hair loss is indeed happening more, or if my personal feed knows what I'm thinking.

I can't see myself washing my hair every day, but maybe I'll work a little more on my scalp when I do. Every bit of information helps!

• Like 1

I was also suffering advanced hair loss recently.  I do wear a lot of hats in summer so I made sure all hats were thoroughly laundered and I immediately removed them once out of the sun.  I switched to a better salon quality shampoo and reduced shampooing days but continued to rinse my hair thoroughly every shower, no soap just plentiful water.  I also reduced hair product use temporarily.  Finally even though I am not usually a person who uses supplements I am trying a supplement.  Now that the heat has subsided the hair loss has also subsided.  Extreme weather is also a form of stress.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 4:04 PM, shipgeeks said:

My hair has begun falling out in alarming quantities.  No change in diet, meds, shampoo, hairbrush.  Routine blood tests don't show anything.

There are lots of recent posts on my news pages, but they are all ads, so I have not read any.  Perhaps Big Brother knows I've been silently thinking about the subject.

Related?  This year I've met two women who have lovely, full hair, but seriously receding hairlines at the front. Beautiful, unblemished skin where there used to be hair.

Any thoughts/remedies/cures?

You may want to try "Thicken Up," a Paul Mitchell product.

About ten years ago, my brother developed a very serious infection in his leg through a tiny cut, while gardening.

Long story short, the Doctors managed to avoid amputation by using one of those “last line” “reserved” antibiotics that aren’t generally available.

they told him that his leg was damaged, and would always give him trouble.

they suggested that he take an antioxidant called “Anthogenol” that significantly helps circulation.

So he did. One major side effect was that his hair grew thicker (and it still is) and his skin improved.

So his wife started taking it. Similar story.

I have lymphoedema in my arm. So I started taking it about five years ago.

My arm is goor. When I stop taking it, I notice increased hair loss and weaker nails (but I’m mostly taking it for my arm)

it’s not a cheap supplement, but it’s good.

over time it has become more popular as a beauty supplement, for hair, skin and nails.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My husband’s dermatologist recommended a red light cap.   I’m thought it sounded a bit suspicious but she is a very down to earth lady and not a bit of a gimmick person.  The price was a bit off putting but it had a six month money back guarantee and she gave us a $500 off coupon.   She advised us it takes four months to see new hair growth and that it does not work for about 25% of people.  What the heck, if after four month it was a bust, we could get a full refund.

so, I’m delighted to report that after four months he did indeed have new hair growth, and his head is quite improved.  It is not like in his younger years, but it is better, and he is pleased.

His cap is made by Revian and treatment takes ten minutes a day.  He does it while he’s having his coffee each morning and reading the news.  The app lets you take pictures to record your progress, and automatically records your usage so there’s no question about your consistency of usage if you need to return it.

sorry if this sounds like an infomercial, but we are both really pleased with his success using this product.

• Like 2

I have always had fine and thin hair and always had to keep it short. My hair would go flat in no time if I didn’t use excessive amounts of hairspray.  With age it has become thinner and even the armpit hair and hair on the legs have totally left me.

A friend experiencing hair loss is using a low-level laser therapy (LLLT) helmet with very good results. Seeing the results my friend has after almost a year I thought I should give it a try.  I am using it now for a little over three months.  The results are amazing.  I see a lot of hair starting to grow.  The biggest change I experience so far is that the texture of my limb hair has changed, it has now volume.  My hair now  holds up all day without any products.

I got the LLLT helmet on sale from Costco (Theradome LH80) and my friend has the iRestore.  I think the brand doesn’t matter as long as it is FDA cleared. From what I read it should be a laser and not a red light treatment.  It may not work for everyone but it has so far done wonders for me. It will take up to a year to get the full result.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, novice99 said:

With age it has become thinner and even the armpit hair and hair on the legs have totally left me.

for women, loss of armpit and leg hair is the joyful side of menopause.

a lot of those hairs migrate to your chin and lip, however  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My Long Covid hair loss is recovering.  1.5 years ago I started using Olaplex shampoo and conditioner.  My stylist has been watching and has noticed lots of “hairlets “ growing out.  I have far less hair coming out when I shampoo.  Stylist doesn’t want me using the rest of the Olaplex products because she says they can be harsh.  My hair is also growing faster now.  I can put my hair in my pigtails now - haven’t been able to do that in 2 years.  My ponytail isn’t squirrel-like (full & fluffy) as it was, but it’s getting there.

10 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

for women, loss of armpit and leg hair is the joyful side of menopause.

a lot of those hairs migrate to your chin and lip, however  🤪

Luckily I am spared from it.  No changes there. 

I think it was Nora Ephorn who said all those lost thoughts you have at a certain age actually sprout out on your face.  I laughed with my sister when we both realized we spent a lot of cosmetic time, plucking.  I call it legacy of my "good peasant breeding"

But I sigh and accept that my hairline has thinned and receded and flat, straight hair is my fate,  Any wave or body of my youth , long gone.

I had hair loss after a mild case of Covid in November 2020 and I feel like I am continuing to lose hair. I have tried supplements, different oils on my scalp, etc. but no real changes. I appreciate your posts about the laser and the shampoo and will give them a try. Many thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 3:09 PM, iTownPrincess said:

I had hair loss after a mild case of Covid in November 2020 and I feel like I am continuing to lose hair. I have tried supplements, different oils on my scalp, etc. but no real changes. I appreciate your posts about the laser and the shampoo and will give them a try. Many thanks!

I hope it will work for you!

His cap has indeed worked - and frankly, I don’t think either of us expected it to work as well as it has.  But since it is physician recommendation and has. Full money back guarantee, what was there to lose?  Well, more hair probably.

Here is a link that our dermatologist explained why she uses the red light rather than laser product.

https://help.revian.com/portal/en/kb/general-information-technical-and-product-support