Changes to Main Dining room entrees

linaka625

It really depends.  Some things are cooked/assembled in advance, not to order (like a stew).  So, if they already have a huge pot of something they really can't make a change to the ingredients. 

If they assemble/make the plates for each customer, then they have been very accommodating in the past for my special request.  

For your specific question I don't know if Seafood Linguini Alfredo; I assume the Alfredo sauce is made in advance however I don't know if the seafood is all added when the sauce is made (my guess), in which case they would not be able to accommodate you, or if each order is assembled one by one with the seafood put on the plate (the kitchen staff puts a couple of scallops, a couple of shrimp and a couple of mussels on each plate) and the sauce added just before serving.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

It really depends.  Some things are cooked/assembled in advance, not to order (like a stew).  So, if they already have a huge pot of something they really can't make a change to the ingredients. 

If they assemble/make the plates for each customer, then they have been very accommodating in the past for my special request.  

For your specific question I don't know if Seafood Linguini Alfredo; I assume the Alfredo sauce is made in advance however I don't know if the seafood is all added when the sauce is made (my guess), in which case they would not be able to accommodate you, or if each order is assembled one by one with the seafood put on the plate (the kitchen staff puts a couple of scallops, a couple of shrimp and a couple of mussels on each plate) and the sauce added just before serving.

Agree, if premade little more challenging. For special out of ordinary which this could be they use to like heads up. Use to get couple items not on Menu every nite. I'd tell my Waiter or head Waiter first nite and they'd make it happen for us rest of the Cruise

On 11/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, linaka625 said:

Is it possible to make any changes to the entrees in the Main Dining room?  For example, the Seafood Linguini Alfredo has scallops, shrimp and mussels.  Can it be ordered with just shrimp?

TIA.

Yes, and you can ask it to be marinara sauce.

11 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, if premade little more challenging. For special out of ordinary which this could be they use to like heads up. Use to get couple items not on Menu every nite. I'd tell my Waiter or head Waiter first nite and they'd make it happen for us rest of the Cruise

There are certain things they can do if you tell them the day before.  I like to have a low salt diet and they have let me look at the menu the night before and pick out an entree to make low salt.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, linaka625 said:

Is it possible to make any changes to the entrees in the Main Dining room?  For example, the Seafood Linguini Alfredo has scallops, shrimp and mussels.  Can it be ordered with just shrimp?

TIA.

My sister is Horribly allergic to mussels. I don't think she'd trust them even if they said they could make the change. Just sayin...

Minor tweaks they can usually accommodate.  You can probably ask for shrimp only.  I highly doubt the seafood is premixed into the sauce.  It would get over cooked.  I also ask for vegetables from the other entrees, or order a second entree with no starch.

If you want a major change, you can special order a meal the day/night before.  You can even order items not on the menu and they will try to accommodate.  I have pre-ordered fried shrimp or a fish dish from another night on tuna/beef stroganoff night.  

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:09 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

I hate to think what it tastes like if it is premade.   It is possible, that is what Red Lobster does, or at least they did at one time.   

The term premade is relative. 

In the MDR kitchen, there isn't a cook just waiting for your waiter to bring in your food order and get started.  It is indeed a skill and science to feed so many people so quickly.  There's been a number of documentaries on cable channels, and I think I remember viewing one reposted on YouTube that chronicles a 7 day cruise on an RCI vessel.  

• Like 1

On our last cruise I ordered a soup, potato (?) That came with bacon on top and I asked for no bacon.  It was no problem.  Obviously soups are made earlier in the day but i assume they aren't finished,  i.e. garnished,  until ordered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I once heard a person order the french onion soup, and wanted no onions.  

Yes, sometimes things can be customized but the dining is a mass chaos in the kitchen with pre planned dishes.  Depends on it is assembled, can determine anything special.  

Did they get the soup with no onions? Asking not because that is very odd, but because I would like to have it without the crouton and was told they cannot do it.

19 minutes ago, crusnbee said:

Did they get the soup with no onions? Asking not because that is very odd, but because I would like to have it without the crouton and was told they cannot do it.

I had a tablemate who ordered French Onion soup and could not find any onions in it.  Having said that, if you don't want the onions, they tend to fall to the bottom.  Just spoon out the broth.

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

I had a tablemate who ordered French Onion soup and could not find any onions in it.  Having said that, if you don't want the onions, they tend to fall to the bottom.  Just spoon out the broth.

I love French Onion soup; but do not eat the onions.  This is exactly what I do.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

My wife orders this for almost every dinner.  She does not eat the onions, cheese, or bread.  She just consumes the broth. 

3 hours ago, crusnbee said:

My mother had no issues getting it without the crouton or cheese on a number of occasions on different ships.