Pay in Full discount - details?

Alsmez

I noticed while browsing websites for pricing on a Dec 2023 Scarlet Lady sailing that Virgin is offering a 10% discount if you pay in full at the time of booking. A good deal, if the fare is still refundable as cash and not as FFC if the booking has to be canceled. I wasn't able to find this information on their website, though - does anyone here have the scoop? TIA!

6 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

then any cancels go back to you as FVC

Hm, this is what I was afraid of (although I suppose it makes sense - why give a discount if they're not getting anything in return?). Not sure it's worth it this far out but will discuss with booking agent once I get them on the phone.

I called, and the phone rep seemed thoroughly befuddled by my question. He just kept repeating their general refund policy and stating that any payments beyond the "20% deposit" would be refunded to original method of payment, even though there obviously isn't a 20% deposit if you pay in full. He also had no idea how they would handle repricing in the event if a price drop - just said "oh, I never see price drops, the prices only go up for the most part." Dude.

I sent an email to see if I could reach someone more competent, but honestly I'm feeling like the savings (around $300 on our sailing) are not worth the potential drama in the event of a price drop or need to change our sailing. Get it together, VV!

8 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

He also had no idea how they would handle repricing in the event if a price drop -

We paid in full for a couple of sailings last October, and the price eventually dropped just a tad.

When I called and asked about an adjustment or obc for the price difference,  they told me that they couldn't do anything.

Edited by CineGraphic

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

I called, and the phone rep seemed thoroughly befuddled by my question. He just kept repeating their general refund policy and stating that any payments beyond the "20% deposit" would be refunded to original method of payment, even though there obviously isn't a 20% deposit if you pay in full. He also had no idea how they would handle repricing in the event if a price drop - just said "oh, I never see price drops, the prices only go up for the most part." Dude.

I sent an email to see if I could reach someone more competent, but honestly I'm feeling like the savings (around $300 on our sailing) are not worth the potential drama in the event of a price drop or need to change our sailing. Get it together, VV!

Yeah, many of the shoreside sailor services staff are more than a bit lacking...... Our experience was that we had a price drop on our most recent sailing of about $135, and were able to rebook that at the lower rate as we had not paid it in full yet.  At the same time, we had another cruise that would have been eligible for the same price drop; we were told we could not do that one as we had paid it off a little before the 6 month deadline.

I'm "that person" who tracks all the pricing for things I've already booked.  The $135 was the most I've encountered, and that offer required us to give up our "Free" shake for champagne.  I'd rather have the price discount than the champagne!   Another one dropped something like $25, but we had $200 in Loot included in that booking which we would have lost....so we kept it  as it was.

50 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Yeah, many of the shoreside sailor services staff are more than a bit lacking...... Our experience was that we had a price drop on our most recent sailing of about $135, and were able to rebook that at the lower rate as we had not paid it in full yet.  At the same time, we had another cruise that would have been eligible for the same price drop; we were told we could not do that one as we had paid it off a little before the 6 month deadline.

I'm "that person" who tracks all the pricing for things I've already booked.  The $135 was the most I've encountered, and that offer required us to give up our "Free" shake for champagne.  I'd rather have the price discount than the champagne!   Another one dropped something like $25, but we had $200 in Loot included in that booking which we would have lost....so we kept it  as it was.

This is great info, thank you! I think the 10% off isn't worth the gamble, given those parameters.

2 hours ago, Alsmez said:

This is great info, thank you! I think the 10% off isn't worth the gamble, given those parameters.

If VV cancels the cruise, their past history is to offer you a choice of 125% cash refund or 200% future cruise credit.  If I cancel for an acceptable reason my logic is that this is what travel insurance is for.  I always buy that privately, not thru the cruise line.

17 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

We paid in full for a couple of sailings last October, and the price eventually dropped just a tad.

When I called and asked about an adjustment or obc for the price difference,  they told me that they couldn't do anything.

Did you work with a travel agent or directly through VV? When we book through an agent we always get the adjusted price, even if it's just $50. We've not paid in full up front to get the discount like VV advertises, but all 8 cruise lines we've booked with, if the price drops after we book, our TA would get our rates adjusted. The cruise line will rarely, if ever, adjust the price for a customer via the standard public call center, whether you paid in full or not. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:42 AM, Alsmez said:

I noticed while browsing websites for pricing on a Dec 2023 Scarlet Lady sailing that Virgin is offering a 10% discount if you pay in full at the time of booking. A good deal, if the fare is still refundable as cash and not as FFC if the booking has to be canceled. I wasn't able to find this information on their website, though - does anyone here have the scoop? TIA!

It's on their website as Item 2.5 in the terms and Conditions of "Book Early, Save More."

2.5. If a Book Early, Save More discounted voyage is canceled Virgin Voyages normal cancellation policies apply. These terms and/or eligible voyages are subject to change with or without notice. Please note all discounts will be reflected as one lump discount on your confirmation email. 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

It's on their website as Item 2.5 in the terms and Conditions of "Book Early, Save More."

Thanks - I saw that bit on their website, but I'm not sure it applies to Pay in Full since Book Early, Save More appears to be a different promotion. The section on Pay in Full doesn't address it directly. 

We ended up booking at the regular rate so it's a moot point for this sailing, but hopefully we'll get a definitive answer before we think about booking the next one. 😁

You can pay in full at any time before the 6 months deadline and get the discount. They may change that policy in the future, but for now if you are more than 6 months out from your cruise, you can pay in full and get the discount, even if you booked it months ago.  You may need a travel agent to do it.  They have the step by step instructions on how to do it.  

In the OP's example, pay the down payment on the full price now and just before the 6 month date, call your Travel Agent and they can apply the 10% discount and take full payment.  That way you can still take advantage of price drops or promo perks that are offered between the booking date and the 6 month date.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

They may change that policy in the future, but for now if you are more than 6 months out from your cruise, you can pay in full and get the discount, even if you booked it months ago.

Interesting - on the website it says you have to pay in full within 2 hours of booking to get the discount. Maybe TAs have a special back door power? Here's the text from the site:

30. 10% Pay in Full Now Discount

Virgin Voyages offers a “10% Pay in Full Now Discount.”  When booking a cabin or suite, and when available to be applied during our reservation booking process, you may select the “Pay in Full” option while booking your voyage reservation.  Pay your cabin in full to receive a 10% discount off your Voyage Fare (not including taxes and fees). Full payment must be received within two (2) hours of booking your voyage. 

I also received a response to my email regarding the cancellation/price drop policy surrounding the Pay in Full fares:

Thanks for reaching out to our Sailor Services Crew! With paid in full bookings, the standard cancellation policy still applies. As prices are subject to change, we cannot perform a price cut to voyages or make an adjustment, as doing so may disqualify any pending promotions you may currently have on your booking. There may also be an increase in taxes and fees.

I take that to mean that 20% is refunded as FFC and the remainder to original payment method if canceled more than 120 days out, in which case there's really no risk other than not being able to grab a price drop. It sounds as though a TA would be able to get a price drop for you in any case, though. Perhaps I'll email my TA and see if they have any other info on the Pay in Full thing - if they can get the discount applied 180 days out that would really be the best of all possible worlds. 

6 hours ago, Alsmez said:

Interesting - on the website it says you have to pay in full within 2 hours of booking to get the discount. Maybe TAs have a special back door power? Here's the text from the site:

30. 10% Pay in Full Now Discount

Virgin Voyages offers a “10% Pay in Full Now Discount.”  When booking a cabin or suite, and when available to be applied during our reservation booking process, you may select the “Pay in Full” option while booking your voyage reservation.  Pay your cabin in full to receive a 10% discount off your Voyage Fare (not including taxes and fees). Full payment must be received within two (2) hours of booking your voyage. 

I also received a response to my email regarding the cancellation/price drop policy surrounding the Pay in Full fares:

Thanks for reaching out to our Sailor Services Crew! With paid in full bookings, the standard cancellation policy still applies. As prices are subject to change, we cannot perform a price cut to voyages or make an adjustment, as doing so may disqualify any pending promotions you may currently have on your booking. There may also be an increase in taxes and fees.

I take that to mean that 20% is refunded as FFC and the remainder to original payment method if canceled more than 120 days out, in which case there's really no risk other than not being able to grab a price drop. It sounds as though a TA would be able to get a price drop for you in any case, though. Perhaps I'll email my TA and see if they have any other info on the Pay in Full thing - if they can get the discount applied 180 days out that would really be the best of all possible worlds. 

If you book online you have to do it at the time of booking.  Travel Agents can add the promo any time before the 6 months deadline and apply the discount and take the payment.  It's not a back door.  The Virgin sales reps sent TA's a step by step guide on how to do it.  They may change the policy in the future and make it only at the time of booking, but for now a TA can do it anytime outside the 6 month window.  

Technically, re-pricing is not an official policy for VV.  They will always say the price is final at time of booking, but in all practicality, they re-price if the booking is outside the final payment.  Basically, since there's no penalty for cancelling outside the final payment, you are in essence, cancelling and immediately rebooking with your FCC in the same "shell".  The only issue is that you could lose the original perks you might have had in the original booking.  So in a few cases when you had good perks at the time of the booking, you will not want the lower price and lose the perks.  And while good travel agents will see the benefit of having happy customers who appreciate the fight for lower prices, it can be a bit demoralizing to be on the phone for a couple hours to do a reprice which is in essence, lowering your commission. LOL But hopefully your TA realizes that taking a bit of a hit in commission is worth it in the long run with repeat business! 

5 minutes ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

The Virgin sales reps sent TA's a step by step guide on how to do it.  They may change the policy in the future and make it only at the time of booking, but for now a TA can do it anytime outside the 6 month window.

I think they may have closed the loophole, at least officially. From their "firstmates" website: https://www.firstmates.com/fmdc/s/offers

PAY IN FULL DISCOUNT

A simple way to score 10% off.

Seal the deal with your Sailor by sharing that voyages paid in full at the time of booking receive 10% off voyage fare. For a booking to be eligible for the 10% Pay in Full Discount, it must be: 

Made 180 days out from sailing
Fully paid - the entire invoice amount including voyage fare plus taxes and fees - within two hours of starting the reservation. (For paid in full bookings, the Sailor will not receive a hold email.)

6 minutes ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

And while good travel agents will see the benefit of having happy customers who appreciate the fight for lower prices, it can be a bit demoralizing to be on the phone for a couple hours to do a reprice which is in essence, lowering your commission.

I'm sure that's true. My TA has always been great about getting price drops for us, which is one reason we stick with him! It is kind of silly for VV not to honor them given that as you said, you can just cancel and rebook, but whatever - they probably weed out some less tenacious pennypinchers by making that their official party line. 

1 hour ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

Travel Agents can add the promo any time before the 6 months deadline and apply the discount and take the payment.  It's not a back door.  The Virgin sales reps sent TA's a step by step guide on how to do it.  They may change the policy in the future and make it only at the time of booking, but for now a TA can do it anytime outside the 6 month window.  

That's not correct. The step by step guide shows the same steps as the public. The TAs must pay in full at the time of booking if this offer is selected, same as the public.

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

I'm sure that's true. My TA has always been great about getting price drops for us, which is one reason we stick with him! It is kind of silly for VV not to honor them given that as you said, you can just cancel and rebook, but whatever - they probably weed out some less tenacious pennypinchers by making that their official party line. 

That's one of the main reasons to have a travel agent. Yes it does cut into the commission, but the job is never about one commission. It's about building relationships with clients so they come back to you time and again. Squeezing everything out of every single commission is going to lead a shorter career in the long run. We've used TAs almost 20 years and don't plan to stop anytime soon so long as they keep taking care of us. 🙂

• Like 1

Interesting discussion....My TA and I both track the 6 month date, and I've always gotten the 10%.  I won't pretend to know the details, but I have gotten it!

And yes, if a better deal comes out before you PIF, you cancel and rebook.  You will lose the perks from your first booking....but I felt that $135  savings was a better perk than a bottle of champagne.