Walker/Rollator on Windsurf ?

Zeno

Some years ago we had our best cruise ever on the Windsurf and would really love to do another one but I now use a rollator.  I can walk short distances with my cane. Has anyone in a similar situation been on the Windsurf?  If so, did you manage OK?  Is there any deck or location that would be best? 

Any info is greatly appreciated.

My suggestion would be closer to the aft elevator than the forward one. At least for us, we spend more time at the stern. We love Compass Rose and the open deck above it. The front desk is back there, yacht club close, and we only go forward for dinner. 

• 2 weeks later...

What about on the Star Pride?  I am thinking of bringing my parents on this ship and my father has mobility issues, uses a walker for short distances and a scooter for long distances.  How accessible is this ship?  I reviewed the info at https://www.windstarcruises.com/accessibility/ but it doesn't give a real sense of what the cruise might be like for someone with disabilities. 

Thank you!

16 hours ago, ciaoYacht said:

What about on the Star Pride?  I am thinking of bringing my parents on this ship and my father has mobility issues, uses a walker for short distances and a scooter for long distances.  How accessible is this ship?  I reviewed the info at https://www.windstarcruises.com/accessibility/ but it doesn't give a real sense of what the cruise might be like for someone with disabilities. 

Thank you!

The issues are similar on the Star ships - doorways with raised thresholds. A motorized scooter might be too large to work in the space available and too heavy to lift over the raised thresholds. I've never seen anyone on the ship with one so I'm only speculating. Also, on most of the cruises there are tender ports so if one will debark there, any mobility aid would have to be transferred to the tender which would be a problem for a scooter. 

• Thanks 1

Thx for info. Another quick question.  Since it's been a while since I have been on the Winsurf - I cannot remember - are the closing bulkhead doors just an issue on the "b" deck ? And which cabins would be blocked off from the elevator?  Thx again

I think about the “steps” up to board the sailing ships. I’m not sure if those asking would be able to navigate up the steps or if there is another way to board that is more accessible to the disabled. 

Oddly up to 1 flight of steps with fairly low risers (and that I just have to use once or twice a day) are really OK for me as they have

railings.  High thresholds or lots of stairs that must be used to access all decks are not good. I think it's because my arms are reasonably strong.

Windstar ships aren’t ADA compliant.  If you need a scooter, you may have issues.  My spouse often uses a walker.  He didn’t use it on Windstar. Ship is small. Walking distances are not long. Instead he used 2 hiking sticks. It worked well. Last week, we were on Oceania Marina.  This time, distances were longer.  Sadly, since he had no problem getting around the Breeze, he left the walker home.  He really missed the walker.  

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like a wheelchair would not work and a walker might be iffy at times.  For me long distance walking is an issue.  We have never been on Windstar and was wondering if someone could give me an idea on excursions.  Lots of walking on tours?  Or can we go on our own with a wheelchair?

If you are on the Surf the watertight doors would be on floors A and B, the middle of the ship is be affected, near aft elevator, agree would be best for you no matter where you are. Reminder getting into the Tenders if the water is choppy might b3 difficult but the crew works miracles  and are so kind. Also going down the stairs to get to the tender would be difficult. Hope you can go. Happy Sailing

• 2 weeks later...

Zeno, 

I just got off the Windsurf and made mental notes regarding mobility throughout the ship. On decks 1 and 2, midship, the water tight doors close when arriving and departing port, leaving only access to the stairs. We were forward, so the watertight doors did not affect us.  However, the forward elevator broke early on day 2 and was not repaired during our cruise. There are several exterior areas where you have to step up or step over a threshold to continue walking on the deck. Hallways are narrow. We were  meant to dock at a few ports, but due to circumstances, we ended up tendering at every port except for the beginning and ending ports. The process to get into the tender at our first few ports was kind of hairy. I felt nervous for how rough the sea was and how the tender kept bobbing and weaving in the water. I could not imagine doing it with any mobility considerations.

Affected cabins by watertight doors are: 214-217, 220-227, 101-112, 114-115.