Live, QV to the Canaries.

LadyL1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from LadyL1! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

LadyL1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We boarded QV, on a very cold and murky day, and really hoping to find some warmth.

A brief enlightenment about the checking in. QG started boarding at 12.40 and the terminal was quite full. The boarding papers just say “priority”, no mention of Grills cabins, so when the first group were called, some just joined. I saw the couple behind us had a time of 14.00 on the papers they were holding. This is something Cunard perhaps need to address: this would not happen on airlines where premium pax have to queue behind others, and would not be accepted.

We were on the ship in October and delighted to be back. The Christmas decorations are looking lovely and I am sure the festive spirit will start to prevail once we sail. The sea is exceedingly calm at present, as we make our way to Vigo.

0974269A-422F-4F53-8292-D18FA4C9AA38.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

The boarding papers just say “priority”, no mention of Grills cabins, so when the first group were called, some just joined

Was "priority" on the boarding pass when you printed it, or was it a stamp placed on it by the check in staff?  I recall the latter is what happened on my last Cunard cruise (one of the first after the shutdowns).  From what I've noticed, it seems that Brittania guests who are Platinum or Diamond don't get a special boarding time on the boarding pass but get the Priority stamp as recognition of their status, so can skip the embarkation queue.  The couple behind you with a 2pm time, may have been Platinum/Diamond.

Did you notice whether The Golden Lion was open for embarkation lunch? 

Looking forward to reading your report 🙂

You get to bypass some of the queues with the Priority stamp, particularly, for the initial check-in, but it does not get any priority through the long queues for security checks just before boarding, and that can take some time if you happen to be there when a lot of people are arriving to check-in when queues can mean half an hour or more to go through the scanner with luggage through the x-ray machines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

You get to bypass some of the queues with the Priority stamp, particularly, for the initial check-in, but it does not get any priority through the long queues for security checks just before boarding, and that can take some time if you happen to be there when a lot of people are arriving to check-in when queues can mean half an hour or more to go through the scanner with luggage through the x-ray machines.

We went from the Ocean terminal for the first time this month on QV and they do have the ability to prioritise groups as they have 2 doors to security. We were in BC and went down the right hand side of security to our own door which appeared to be diamond/BC/platinum. This was whilst grills were going in through the “main” door to security. Worked well.

Getting on QV the other week they called queens grills and so many people moved towards the doors it’s was a joke.

it was very poorly handled.

A family sat by us we’re in Club.

They asked the port lady did they get priority and were told “yes” if it’s been stamped on your pass -it had been - so she said it will be QG the PG then Platinum then Diamond the Club.

They had no status.

Q- So when did they stand up and walk on ?

A-Before the announcement had finished saying “queens grill only”

We were platinum & in PG and it did tick me off

Why it stamp the boarding pass QG, PG etc and actually enforce it

I said to my partner when the huge crowd all people stood up “wow QG has a lotnof

people”

Our day at sea across the bay was interesting! The ocean appeared relatively calm but that was an unusual and noticeable movement to the ship. We heard of those requesting the little pill for: reception, and a conspicuous number of empty tables in the restaurant, of what was a “Gala B&W” evening.

In the morning we attended a lecture given by Andrew Williams, a retired BBC wildlife programme producer/cameraman who has works with many notable academics in this field, including David Attenborough, Dr George McGovern and Steve Backshall. As you can imagine the presentation was excellent and we will definitely be attending his next session.

There has been much written about food recently, and so far, this has been a little hit and miss. Tonight, even our waiter said the lobster was small! However,  my husband’s chateaubriand was perfect.

Our arrival in Vigo this morning, sees wall to wall blue sky, and hopefully the temperatures will reach the heady figure of 17! An early morning swim alone was delightful! 

• Like 4

QV in Vigo. Such a pleasant day, but a shame our balcony will be in the shade all day.

Another sea day tomorrow with the prospect of good conditions. We hear that we have escaped some miserable weather back home.

7874B79A-20E2-4CF7-B390-B6DFAA333F8F.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi, we are also on 11 Dec sailing.  What time would you recommend us arranging our car meet and great service. Our ticket say 12:30 Boarding. We are in QG?  Thankyou

That boarding time sounds right for QG. Probably a 3hr journey from Stafford, I’d leave around 9am. On boarding go up to the restaurant to check out your table and enjoy your first lunch.

We’re in Britannia and our boarding time is 14:45, I’m undecided as whether to turn up around 12:30 and board with our priority pass (Diamond) or actually board nearer our assigned time. Any suggestions or advice?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

That boarding time sounds right for QG. Probably a 3hr journey from Stafford, I’d leave around 9am. On boarding go up to the restaurant to check out your table and enjoy your first lunch.

We’re in Britannia and our boarding time is 14:45, I’m undecided as whether to turn up around 12:30 and board with our priority pass (Diamond) or actually board nearer our assigned time. Any suggestions or advice?

That's what we'll be doing. Have to leave our hotel by 12pm and have a taxi straight to the port as part of a package. So we'll hang around until they let us board!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

I’m undecided as whether to turn up around 12:30 and board with our priority pass (Diamond) or actually board nearer our assigned time. Any suggestions or advice?

Turn up when you are ready to. 12:30 I'm sure will be fine. 

People with Diamond and Platinum Cunard World Club status are eligible for priority embarkation. In practice, this seems to mean that you can skip the main queue for check in. You can then embark once QG and PG have been called.

• Like 1

A few answers to previous questions.

Navaypanda

Priority was originally printed on boarding pass. The couple behind us with Kate boarding, might have been priority but certainly not Grills. It seemed a mass rush to security when WG boarding was announced; nothing on documents to prove who is valid at the first call, so abused.

Craigrlewis

Your question answered above.

Glenndale

We did not show any docs at checkin, but were asked if vaccines up to date, health and insurance. I gather it is random for fully checking.

Staffordcruiser

I see you are in QG, but doubt very much if boarding would start any earlier than your time. Perhaps arrive 15 mins or so earlier. When we arrived at 12.30ish, the terminal was quite full already! 

A beautiful evening sailaway to Madeira with gorgeous sunset, followed by a super meal.

22D073CA-F267-4F8B-9F2E-40B5625814ED.jpeg

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

A few answers to previous questions.

Navaypanda

Priority was originally printed on boarding pass. The couple behind us with Kate boarding, might have been priority but certainly not Grills. It seemed a mass rush to security when WG boarding was announced; nothing on documents to prove who is valid at the first call, so abused.

Craigrlewis

Your question answered above.

Glenndale

We did not show any docs at checkin, but were asked if vaccines up to date, health and insurance. I gather it is random for fully checking.

Staffordcruiser

I see you are in QG, but doubt very much if boarding would start any earlier than your time. Perhaps arrive 15 mins or so earlier. When we arrived at 12.30ish, the terminal was quite full already! 

A beautiful evening sailaway to Madeira with gorgeous sunset, followed by a super meal.

22D073CA-F267-4F8B-9F2E-40B5625814ED.jpeg

Thanks for your answers.

Were the Christmas lights turned on in Madeira?

They are gorgeous, a pity you weren’t staying late.

Looking forward to hearing about the entertainment, we haven’t sailed on QV since December 2019.

Very strangely I am having extreme difficulty to connect with Cruisecritic onboard ship.! We are now in Madeira, so reading this should be as if yesterday evening.

Another day at sea; we were told that at 6.00am the sun was shining, but we certainly did not see that! The morning was mostly murky and mizzly, albeit being 18 degrees, as we head for Madeira.
Last evening the Wintergarden was heaving with those listening to and enjoying The Cula Folk Duo. To be honest, apart from sailaway parties, have never seen the venue so busy.
After a very pleasant evening meal (the gran mariner soufflés are still excellent) I went to the theatre to listen to Roy Lock. I have seen  him on the ship before, is a trained opera singer, whose repertoire was  a rendition of songs from musicals, gave warmth and a splendid performance to the appreciative audience.
Our second speaker, Penny Mallory, is an account polished adventurist and fall driver, also a descendent of George Mallory, who was possibly the first man to reach the summit of Everest in the 1920’s. A terrific lecture with magnificent video clips, and old photographs shown during the presentation.
A formal night but the show was cancelled because of technical reasons: replacement entertainment arranged.
funchal from the balcony this morning.

253337E0-2603-4240-9586-3EA2777A70A6.jpeg

866C1A8A-ADD4-4FEF-ADB7-5542A7FA8E36.jpeg

• Like 4