Once you cancel cruise, You also lose Voucher $$$ too...?

NavyCruiser

Done a wonderful Viking Grand European river cruise last year with a few couples, including our Aunt & Uncle.

Had some covid related issues & missed a few ports.

Viking issued all of us, let's say $3000 Voucher, per couple to book new cruise.

We all booked a Viking Ocean cruise on the Venus for early 2023, let's say for $7000, thus $4000 net after the $3000 Voucher applied.

Our Aunt & Uncle cancelled this cruise a few months ago, but the rest of us are still going.

Our Aunt & Uncle just went with us on a family reunion cruise last month, but doesn't plan to go on any more cruises in 2023 & 2024, & wants to transfer that $3000 Viking Voucher to us to use to book another new Viking cruise for later next year.

However, Uncle just called & said Viking stated that since they applied Voucher to Venus cruise, then cancelled, so now the $3000 Voucher was also cancelled.

Doesn't make sense to us.

So is this final?

Any other way for us to re-use that unspent $3000 Voucher at all?

It expires end of Dec 2022, so sorta urgent, & hate to waste $3000, & not put it to use.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks,

37 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Done a wonderful Viking Grand European river cruise last year with a few couples, including our Aunt & Uncle.

Had some covid related issues & missed a few ports.

Viking issued all of us, let's say $3000 Voucher, per couple to book new cruise.

We all booked a Viking Ocean cruise on the Venus for early 2023, let's say for $7000, thus $4000 net after the $3000 Voucher applied.

Our Aunt & Uncle cancelled this cruise a few months ago, but the rest of us are still going.

Our Aunt & Uncle just went with us on a family reunion cruise last month, but doesn't plan to go on any more cruises in 2023 & 2024, & wants to transfer that $3000 Viking Voucher to us to use to book another new Viking cruise for later next year.

However, Uncle just called & said Viking stated that since they applied Voucher to Venus cruise, then cancelled, so now the $3000 Voucher was also cancelled.

Doesn't make sense to us.

So is this final?

Any other way for us to re-use that unspent $3000 Voucher at all?

It expires end of Dec 2022, so sorta urgent, & hate to waste $3000, & not put it to use.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks,

If the Risk Free Guarantee was still in force when you booked, your Aunt & Uncle had 2 options upon cancelling.

1. Risk Free Guarantee - If they selected the RFG option, Viking would have issued a FCV for everything paid, including the voucher used to pay for the cruise. No cash is returned using this oFCV would have a new 2-yr expiry.

2. Standard Cancellation in accordance with the Terms & Conditions - assuming the cruise was < 35 days, provided they advised Viking > 120 days out, they would receive the cash paid less the $100 pp cancellation fee. Any voucher used to pay for the cruise is NOT replaced, as per the conditions issued with the voucher.

When you cancel, whatever option you select is non-reversible once it is processed.

In our experience, Viking tried everything to encourage us to accept the vouchers rather than a cash refund. They clearly explained the options and that once we make our decision it is final.

• Like 1

This voucher discussion keeps coming up.  In my opinion, Viking is encourages voucher because it keeps the cash in they bank (good business for Viking) and it has it's cancellation clauses that cause you to lose the voucher if you cancel.

We were issued a FCC voucher and have to a certain extent fought Viking to NOT apply to our upcoming cruise.  We want to apply when we are ready to apply - which will be at the point of final payment.  We have not actually lost vouchers in the past but come close and we find even the Viking agents do not fully understand the rules around vouchers.

6 of us were going on a European River Cruise at the beginning of the pandemic.  Viking cancelled.  One couple took the cash back.  One took the 25% additional.  We have since used our voucher.  The couple that took the uplift of 25% have still not been able to successfully use their voucher, and I am concerned that if they have to cancel the cruise that they are booked on - for next April - that they may lose the full value of their original booking, and that is 12K'ish.

We would never in the future accept a Viking Voucher if there was a cash back option.

• Like 3

As the Vouchers have evolved the rules have changed.  Your friends have the most robust voucher from early pandemic days and I will bet they will be able to use it successfully.  Those of us with vouchers from the recent past will not fare as well if there is a need to move or cancel a cruise.  There are many more restrictions!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deec said:

As the Vouchers have evolved the rules have changed.  Your friends have the most robust voucher from early pandemic days and I will bet they will be able to use it successfully.  Those of us with vouchers from the recent past will not fare as well if there is a need to move or cancel a cruise.  There are many more restrictions!

Any cruise booked now will have no protection regardless of when the voucher was issued as there has not been CFAR since last December.

• Like 2

If you book using a voucher, I feel the most important thing is to have travel insurance that will cover a voucher.  After doing some research, I  found that Viking insurance will NOT cover your loss if using a voucher.  Find the correct insurance so you won't be stuck losing your money.  Our voucher is for $17,000. You can be sure I did my research and bought the correct insurance. My cruise isn't scheduled for a year and a half.  I don't want to lose my money.  Do your research and buy insurance!!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, zogrand said:

If you book using a voucher, I feel the most important thing is to have travel insurance that will cover a voucher.  After doing some research, I  found that Viking insurance will NOT cover your loss if using a voucher.  Find the correct insurance so you won't be stuck losing your money.  Our voucher is for $17,000. You can be sure I did my research and bought the correct insurance. My cruise isn't scheduled for a year and a half.  I don't want to lose my money.  Do your research and buy insurance!!

For others seeking this kind of coverage, be aware that insurance will cover only those vouchers that represent expenses for which you originally paid cash. It will not cover any goodwill or bonus FCC granted by the cruise line.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, deec said:

another very important piece of insuring vouchers is to make sure they will cover a pre-existing condition

Because the vouchers set the initial deposit date at the time of the cancelled cruise    which produced them, CFAR will not be available; however, there are a number of policies that allow a waiver for pre-existing conditions if purchased by final payment.

Many people here do business with Trip Insurance Store. It would be a good idea for anyone interested in coverage to consult them in order to get the best advice.

• Like 2

My mother also has a Viking voucher (from a cancelled cruise) that she probably will not be able to use due to her age.

When I contacted customer service, I was told she could send an email and have the voucher transferred to someone else.

However, the voucher still has to be used before the expiration date.

There are many different types of Viking vouchers, and each has rules.  You seem to have received a goodwill type of voucher, versus a cancellation voucher.  There was really no money out of your pocket involved with the voucher--it was like a bonus voucher.  I doubt travel insurance will have any role in this type of situation.

Your relatives should have discussed all the terms and conditions of the voucher before using and cancelling.  Your relatives may be able to appeal to Viking and discuss transferring it to someone else.  They need to communicate with Viking in writing and plead their case and see what might happen...

• Like 1