Random Apex Questions (SV vs Aqua, Room Service, 2023 Deck Plans)

BeachTunes

Hello From Chilly Canada! 

So the mission to book a 2023 Caribbean Apex cruise continues... It's going to happen eventually! LOL! I'm admit I over-research vacations so please forgive my many random and long-winded questions! For reference, we have cruised on Celebrity twice: Once aboard the Reflection in Aqua back in 2014 and then in a Sky Suite on the Summit in 2015. We enjoyed both experiences for different reasons. Those cruises seem like eons ago and so much has changed! We have since cruised with Crystal three times and on the Paul Gaugin in Tahiti. We think we will enjoy returning to Celebrity and can't wait to experience Eden, the new shows and the E-class decor and innovations.

On with my questions...

1. Sunset Veranda vs Aqua: I know 50% will go with SV and the other half will vote for Aqua! Haha! Here's the dilemma: Right now, there is one last SV available on deck 12 that is pricing out to be $250 per person more than Aqua class! That seems odd to me but I guess it's a supply and demand thing. With that in mind, is the SV with its "proper" balcony really worth $500 Canadian more for a week over Aqua? (Again, I expect a mixed bag of answers but am curious to hear everyone's thoughts! We loved Blu during our previous X cruises, especially for breakfast and did use the thermal spa on sea days.)

2. Does anyone have recent Aqua Class Room Service Menu photos to share here? And if we have the Premium Beverage Package, is room service wine and beer included? (Trying to decide how many of the allowed bottles of wine to bother schlepping on board! LOL!)

3. The Apex deck plans on Celebrity's website show two options: One through to April of 2023 and then a second one from April 2023 onwards. I can't seem to see what is different. Again, just curious if the ship will be going through dry dock and would love to know what changes will be made. If it's something really groundbreaking - like moving the cabanas around to actually face the pool and not a busy walkway - then it might merit booking after those changes. We booked an Alcove one day on the Reflection and it was glorious. I can't say I'm jazzed about spending $150 for a lounger that faces the Magic Carpet, which also has couches at no charge! 😉

If you've read this far, then I send you a virtual high five! Thanks in advance for everyone's input. I know these are really petty questions and feel blessed to be in a position to book a cruise at all. 

Cheers!

Edited by BeachTunes
Corrected type-os.

I wouldn't expect real changes to the Apex.  Celebrity has been renaming cabin categories and that created a need to different deck plans.

None if the beverage packages cover alcoholic drinks from Room Service.  

The SV vs Aq is really what is important to you access to spa and Blu or a real balcony.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I wouldn't expect real changes to the Apex.  Celebrity has been renaming cabin categories and that created a need to different deck plans.

None if the beverage packages cover alcoholic drinks from Room Service.  

The SV vs Aq is really what is important to you access to spa and Blu or a real balcony.

Thank you very much jelayne! Your answers are very helpful. 

And good point about SV vs Aqua! As for the real balcony vs Blu, I think if they were the same price, I'd lean toward the SV on Edge class (given 4 different MDR vibes to try) but given that the SV is currently $500 more per week than Aqua, we could spend that the difference on specialty dining and an excursion and still have Blu/Spa benefits. 🙂

Edited by BeachTunes

Having seen Aqua cabin on Apex (we were in a CS) there is no way I would ever sail in one. Id rather not cruise. For me a proper balcony is too important. I’ve said SV with 4 MDRs & specialty dining or a suite on all E class ships. Dh agrees. 

• Like 1

Cannot answer about room service, However IMO I would definately book a SV.  A true balcony. I am not a fan of blu.  Poor location on the edge class ships.  We don't use any blu perks.  The new concept with the MDR's is great.  Or book a few specialty restaurants for dinner.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback @wineoclock and @Cruise a holic! It is appreciated. 

A proper balcony definitely is something we have enjoyed during our previous cruises. 

Now a new question has popped up! The only available SV for our preferred dates is on Deck 12 right below the Sunset Bar. I fear that stateroom would suffer from noise from above. Any thoughts on this location are welcome. Thanks! 

I don’t know, but I faced the same choice last week. Having booked AQ on Beyond, I found that I just could not get excited about paying that premium for the IV. Having only sailed (DCL) on verandahs, I couldn’t even bring myself to tell Dh that what we thought we had paid for, is actually a window. 
 Looking at Blu menus was the biggest help in my decision. It just didn’t look like what we wanted to eat. Plus, I had thought Blu was in addition to the 4 MDRs- not instead of. So, i realized I could dine around in different venues for less money than staying in the same venue all week. The exclusivity of Blu might appeal to some, but for us, getting dressed up and going somewhere different each night sounds fun. ( i also made 2 specialty ressies.) 

I actually went on to downgrade to to a regular verandah, and found a SV, which had been sold out. Snapped it up and now feel much more excited about the whole thing 😊

Oh, yes, I paid a little bit more than i was paying for AQ, so I feel your pain… but i feel like the private verandah for us will be more worth its value than the AQ perks.

You may come to the opposite conclusion for yourself, but maybe my line of reasoning it out will help you decide. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

On with my questions...

1. Sunset Veranda vs Aqua: I know 50% will go with SV and the other half will vote for Aqua! Haha! Here's the dilemma: Right now, there is one last SV available on deck 12 that is pricing out to be $250 per person more than Aqua class! That seems odd to me but I guess it's a supply and demand thing. With that in mind, is the SV with its "proper" balcony really worth $500 Canadian more for a week over Aqua? (Again, I expect a mixed bag of answers but am curious to hear everyone's thoughts! We loved Blu during our previous X cruises, especially for breakfast and did use the thermal spa on sea days.)

2. Does anyone have recent Aqua Class Room Service Menu photos to share here? And if we have the Premium Beverage Package, is room service wine and beer included? (Trying to decide how many of the allowed bottles of wine to bother schlepping on board! LOL!)

3. The Apex deck plans on Celebrity's website show two options: One through to April of 2023 and then a second one from April 2023 onwards. I can't seem to see what is different. Again, just curious if the ship will be going through dry dock and would love to know what changes will be made. If it's something really groundbreaking - like moving the cabanas around to actually face the pool and not a busy walkway - then it might merit booking after those changes. We booked an Alcove one day on the Reflection and it was glorious. I can't say I'm jazzed about spending $150 for a lounger that faces the Magic Carpet, which also has couches at no charge! 😉

I don't have an issue with IV's at all. It's become a vocal topic among a few who have probably never stepped foot in one. An unpopular opinion that I will stick to, the SV's (on all classes) are far overrated.  I would do AQ over an SV, especially if the SV has the premium price. 

The difference in deck plan is due to some categories have been renamed and reclassified. 

I doubt they make changes to the cabanas on Apex. Just like S class has a mixed bag of cabana styles, E class will be somewhat similar. Having been in both, I really don't think one setup is arguably better than the other. 

• Like 1

Thank you both @TravelingCircusof5 and @Jeremiah1212! Both very interesting perspectives. 

I think if the SV was less than Aqua class, it would be an easier decision. It turns out that even regular verandah IV staterooms are almost as much as Aqua class! So it's definitely down to the SV at a higher price or Aqua... Not a bad problem to have to solve! LOL! 

33 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't have an issue with IV's at all. It's become a vocal topic among a few who have probably never stepped foot in one. An unpopular opinion that I will stick to, the SV's (on all classes) are far overrated.  I would do AQ over an SV, especially if the SV has the premium price. 

The difference in deck plan is due to some categories have been renamed and reclassified. 

I doubt they make changes to the cabanas on Apex. Just like S class has a mixed bag of cabana styles, E class will be somewhat similar. Having been in both, I really don't think one setup is arguably better than the other. 

I’ve stepped in one & have no desire to do so again. Same as I don’t want to have an inside or oceanview cabin. I like a proper balcony. It’s my haven & my place for early morning tea. Bliss. 

• Like 2

We usually sail AQ on past cruises.  We didn't appreciate the IV so have booked the SV on Beyond next year.  Not sure about deck 12...hopefully someone will chime in on that:)  IMO the daily "snacks" are not worth it.  We are usually out and about so they were always warm by the time we got back.  Also, we ordered off the main dining room menu most times.  I have heard you can't do this on E class ships anymore.

• Like 1