NCL Ships at Amber Cove

PATRLR

Our November 18 Encore stop in the DR was at Amber Cove.  As we had a full day excursion booked to the Damajagua falls that was unaffected by the change in ports, we didn't investigate or pay attention to what other options were available to us.  We barely even saw the shopping area as our excursion was late getting back.

I've since learned that Carnival has a big pool area right next to the shopping area.  My question is, is that area available to NCL guests when NCL stops there?  Looks kind of nice but I suspect it's off-limits to non CCL lines as I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about it.  

25 minutes ago, northwoodsmom said:

From what I've learned elsewhere, we are able to use the pool if we want to.  Drinks are expensive.  I just learned the Escape is docking in Amber Cove the week of 12/24, but I've also heard that is still up for debate.

The 24th-the 31st? I hope its not the week before.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Our November 18 Encore stop in the DR was at Amber Cove.  As we had a full day excursion booked to the Damajagua falls that was unaffected by the change in ports, we didn't investigate or pay attention to what other options were available to us.  We barely even saw the shopping area as our excursion was late getting back.

I've since learned that Carnival has a big pool area right next to the shopping area.  My question is, is that area available to NCL guests when NCL stops there?  Looks kind of nice but I suspect it's off-limits to non CCL lines as I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about it.  

Yes, whatever cruise line is in port that day can use the facilities.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

According to Portmapper, Escape is scheduled for Amber Cove on the 19th and the 26th.

Don't rely on that. NCL has Escape docking at Puerto Plata, which is not Amber Cove.

6 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Don't rely on that. NCL has Escape docking at Puerto Plata, which is not Amber Cove.

NCL had Encore docking at Puerto Plata on November 18.  Guess where it docked?  Amber Cove.  I knew it before we got on because I checked Portmapper.  NCL didn't feel a need to tell us until we boarded, by way of a letter in our cabin.  

Sorry, I have more faith in Portmapper than I do NCL which is notoriously bad about communicating and being forthcoming with its guests.  

• Like 1

Following this - interesting - with a bit of curiosity.  Looking at Encore's live shipcam this morning/now, she is docked right next to the Carnival Horizon and furthermore, that's at Amber Cove ... at Porta Platta, DR (confused, which is what's listed ??? - doesn't specifically mention the Cove).  

Our "Getaway" next month has our last port stop at Porta Platta too, doesn't say Amber Cove - and starting to seriously look at shorex options.  NCL's posted time for arrival & departure being shorter than what I'm seeing on Cruisemapper - with just 3 to 4 hours on land, might not be worthwhile to bother going ashore & just stay onboard.  Maybe, hit concrete / pavement briefly for a couple of "hi, here's our stop & surroundings" photos and browse at the souvenir kiosks for visiting tourists, etc. 

For the people who are a bit confused:

The two options in Puerto Plata are Taino Bay (closer to Downtown Puerto Plata) and Amber Cove. They are very near each other.  I know Encore was supposed to originally be porting in Taino Bay this season, but after the spring grounding there (was it the Getaway?), it seems few NCL stops have been made there. I'm wondering if it's partly based on water levels.  Anyway, all the Encore sailings since November have ported in Amber Cove. I know, I've looked at the webcam every Friday. Looking at different port schedule websites isn't very helpful, because there is conflicting info. I wonder if they've basically double booked both ports "just in case."

Amber Cove disappoints me because I really wanted to be closer to downtown.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, weltek said:

For the people who are a bit confused:

The two options in Puerto Plata are Taino Bay (closer to Downtown Puerto Plata) and Amber Cove. They are very near each other.  I know Encore was supposed to originally be porting in Taino Bay this season, but after the spring grounding there (was it the Getaway?), it seems few NCL stops have been made there. I'm wondering if it's partly based on water levels.  Anyway, all the Encore sailings since November have ported in Amber Cove. I know, I've looked at the webcam every Friday. Looking at different port schedule websites isn't very helpful, because there is conflicting info. I wonder if they've basically double booked both ports "just in case."

Amber Cove disappoints me because I really wanted to be closer to downtown.

The Escape ran aground in Puerto Plata.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:38 AM, twobeautifulgirls said:

How was the Falls excursion? How cold is the water? 

The Falls excursion is pretty awesome.  Everyone in our group were saying how much they loved it.  We just did it last week.  The water is not cold, but not warm.  I was expecting it to be colder, but it was refreshing.  The walk to the falls is a pretty good hike, so we we're ready to get wet.  It was very crowded on the day we were there, so it took awhile to get through the excursion.  We barely made it back to catch the ship.  It took about 5 hours, so we got no shopping or port time in.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:38 PM, weltek said:

Bummer. I think it's safe to assume Amber Cove is the default for NCL at least through the end of the year. 

Very interesting info.... it looks like the capacity for Amber Cove is two ships?  We leave on the 12/18 Encore and are due to call in Puerto Plata on 12/21, but I see there are two Carnival ships already on the calendar for Amber Cove.  Wondering if that means we skip the DR altogether...

As far as I can tell both Amber Cove and Taino Bay are considered to be ”Puerto Plata” ports so I wouldn’t really expect NCL to tell me this in beforehand or apologize in some way for choosing one or another port facility. Although yes of course Taino Bay would seem to be nicer. Has NCL ever really advertized any cruise as going to Amber Cove instead of just talking about Puerto Plata town in general? They don’t specify Havensight or Crown Bay either at St Thomas, just calling the stop as Charlotte Amalie. 

I can see how the change of expected port facility within a port stop could potentially cause problems when booking own excursions. However I would assume (and have always assumed) that when I book with a local tour operator and tell them with which ship I come with on date xx they’ll know where to come and pick me up as they are locals and work in the tourist industry.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

26 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I can see how the change of expected port facility within a port stop could potentially cause problems when booking own excursions. However I would assume (and have always assumed) that when I book with a local tour operator and tell them with which ship I come with on date xx they’ll know where to come and pick me up as they are locals and work in the tourist industry.

Just to ad to my post (I took too long time to edit my post anymore): having worked for years in an incoming travel agency also serving cruiseline guests and doing shore excursions it is business as usual to follow into which port ships arrive. Changes are frequent and not a problem at all. If a change occurs we adjust ourselves so that wherever our booked guests arrive we are there 😊 And we make sure that the change means minimal to zero change for our guests tours. Port changes (and even airport changes) are indeed very usual and taken care of efficiently by tour operators 😊 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1