LOndon Pass

Has anyone used the London pass? I was thinking of getting it for the day I do the Tower of london among other sites. Do I just show the pass and get into the attraction (that is of course the attractions listed on their website).

Thanks,

Kurt

I haven't used it. Suggest you do the math and see if it is a bargain. I investigated it on my last London trip, and you had to pretty much get to three expensive sites to make the one day London Pass pay off. Just try visiting The Tower, Kew Gardens, and Windsor Castle in one day.

Perhaps the convenience would make it worthwhile to you. You may also buy individual Fast Track tickets for Madame Tussauds, the Tower of London, London Eye, London Dungeon, London Zoo, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle. Fast Track tickets are available at Tube Stations and other places.

Many great museums and galleries are free. See See http://www.londonfreelist.com/home.asp

We were in London last May after a TA cruise and stayed for a week. We got the 6 day version of the London Pass with the option to use it for our transportation needs within the city. This made it very convenient to be able to get around as well as get into the various sites we wanted to see.

After we got home we figured it out and we did save a little money by buying the London Pass as opposed to paying as we went but not as much as they advertise on their web site. But since we were only going to be there for a limited amount of time and the less time we had to spend in lines meant the more time we had to see and do things we felt it was worth the cost.

I wish we had had more time to be able to take full advantage of all the different offers that were available with the London Pass but we also had other places we wanted to visit such as the British Museum or the changing of the guard.

Here is the link to the London Pass for those who haven't heard of it.

http://www.londonpass.com/index2.asp

Have a great next cruise.

We were in London last May after a TA cruise and stayed for a week. We got the 6 day version of the London Pass with the option to use it for our transportation needs within the city. This made it very convenient to be able to get around as well as get into the various sites we wanted to see.

After we got home we figured it out and we did save a little money by buying the London Pass as opposed to paying as we went but not as much as they advertise on their web site. But since we were only going to be there for a limited amount of time and the less time we had to spend in lines meant the more time we had to see and do things we felt it was worth the cost.

Here is the link to the London Pass for those who haven't heard of it.

http://www.londonpass.com/index2.asp

Did you use it for the tower? For attractions, you just show your pass and enter?

Thanks

Yes we did use it for the Tower, the HMS Belfast, Shakespeare's Globe, Vinopolis, St Paul's Cathedral, the Tower Bridge Exhibit, the Wellington Arch, the exhibit, "The Mummy, the Inside story" at the British Museum, Porter's English Restaurant, the Tate Boat up and then down the Thames, the london Brass rubbing center in the basement of St Martin of the Fields Church and then all our bus and subway transportation.

All we had to do was show the pass. Some places had a machine that they ran the pass through the registered we had used it there (like at Vinopolis and the special exhibit at the British Museum) so we couldn't come back another day. As far as I know the London pass only gives you one visit per pass. In the subways and on the buses you just put it through the same machine that handles the bus passes that Londoners use.

After you visit the Tower I would strongly recommend doing the Tower Bridge exhibit which allows you to go up in the Tower Bridge and get a great view of London. The HMS Belfast, a WW II British battle cruiser is docked across from the Tower and might also be worth a few minutes of your time if you enjoy history. Both are included in the London Pass and all three are in the same area of London.

We also used it for the 3 days prior to our cruise with the travel card....we went to the Tower, the Globe, The Aquarium, Hampton Court Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral, and all our Tube Transportation (I know I'm missing something else too)....We figured that we saved over $100 per person and we didn't have to worry about money to get into attractions...

We found it well worth the money and the fact that we could skip so many entrance lines was incredible!!

We also used it for the 3 days prior to our cruise with the travel card....we went to the Tower, the Globe, The Aquarium, Hampton Court Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral, and all our Tube Transportation (I know I'm missing something else too)....We figured that we saved over $100 per person and we didn't have to worry about money to get into attractions...

We found it well worth the money and the fact that we could skip so many entrance lines was incredible!!

Thanks, these attractions that you skipped the lines, I assume their is a place to buy tickets and another way "in" if you already have a ticket or pass.

Kurt

Thanks, these attractions that you skipped the lines, I assume their is a place to buy tickets and another way "in" if you already have a ticket or pass.

Kurt

Yes Kurt...most places you can skip the ticket booths and just present the pass. But if you have to go to the ticket booth, then there is a special line if you have pass.

Either way it was a win/win....

We used the pass as well and yes, you do show the pass each time you enter the particular attraction. The nice thing about getting it is that we didn't have to constantly reach into the wallet to either charge our individual entry fees or to worry about converting money into Pounds to pay in cash. We got the three day pass and for us we did save money but again we also saved the time of buying tickets.

Keith

• 2 months later...

Per the Help page of the London Pass site above,

Are the 2-day, 3-day and 6-day passes for consecutive days?

Yes. For example if you begin using your 3-day Pass on a Tuesday it will be valid for the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of that week.

So you wouldn't be able to get the 6 day card use it for 2 or 3 days before the cruise and then again after the cruise.

Sorry It does seem like a good idea.

Heathrow is in Zone 6 and is covered by the London Pass transportation option. The transportation option is not the cheapest way to go, but the simplification of it all might be worth it to you.

Just curious if you paid to get your London Pass shipped to the states, if I purchase it would be good to have it in hand and then take the tube from Heathrow to the hotel but it looks to be pretty expensive to ship it to the states. Any thoughts?

We were arriving by cruise ship on a Sunday and were staying in London until the next Sunday. We elected to get from the ship to London by cruise ship bus and then to our lodging by taxi. We just wandered around in the area we were staying that day and checked out museums and parks. Then on Monday we went down to their offices, we were going to walk but finally decided it was easier and better to just grab a cab and picked up our London passes then. We then used them Monday through Saturday every day. Then on Sunday morning we had a car service pick us up and drive us to the airport. I didn't want to try lugging all the luggage we had on any kind of public transportation.

Anyway I ordered the pass online and then picked it up in London.

• 3 weeks later...

maren91 - We recently ordered on-line & received our 2 Day London Passes. The shipping cost was GBP 5.95 ($10.83US today's rate) for all materials. Just having the time to plan using the guide is IMO well worth the shipping price. Based on what we plan to see & do - we will also save $ and time in line purchasing tickets. SeaFish

• 1 year later...

We purchased the London Pass (6 day) for our recent trip. It was very convenient and we loved getting everything before we left (they come with a handy little book). However, in the end the London Pass didn't really save us any money, but was more of a convenience issue. Definitely get the transport pass with the London Pass. That was definately worth the money and we used it a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

This FAQ web page answered nearly all my questions regarding using the London Pass for entry to included sites as well travel.

By my calculation including transport with the six day card adds 38 GBP, @ 6.3 GBP per day, and includes all six zones. A veritable bargain, methinks.:)

http://www.londonpass.com/faq.asp#Transport

I just today ordered a six day London Pass w/travel. I didn't know until completing the order form that insurance, at 4.75% of purchase, is offered covering both the pass and the travel card.

That's a good offer. Especially since the total cost is 117GBP, a bit much to lose if you have to cancel or change your schedule. The Travel Card is date stamped in advance for your arrival date.

I've gone back thru the London Pass web site and can't find an insurance mention until, as I said, during purchase. That's a bit odd.

Anyway, I thought y'all would want to know about the insurance.

Archived