Gibraltar

Minnie29

If you are purchasing alcohol from Gibraltar with the intention of bringing it into the UK then the limit is 4litres of spirits. People make the mistake of thinking there is no limit and I can assure you, with experience, that there is limits.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If you are purchasing alcohol from Gibraltar with the intention of bringing it into the UK then the limit is 4litres of spirits. People make the mistake of thinking there is no limit and I can assure you, with experience, that there is limits.

Totally agree, have seen many HMRC suitcase openings at Southampton, mostly evidencing cigarettes.  One opening of note showed four large suitcases, two packed full of cigarettes.  
How did HMRC know/identify?

One has been lucky over many years, but one does utilise a Luggage Porter, sometimes two, to take luggage, also the occasional barrel, fast track to the waiting taxi, then to assist with the loading.
It would appear the Porters are lucky for us.

7 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Totally agree, have seen many HMRC suitcase openings at Southampton, mostly evidencing cigarettes.  One opening of note showed four large suitcases, two packed full of cigarettes.  
How did HMRC know/identify?

One has been lucky over many years, but one does utilise a Luggage Porter, sometimes two, to take luggage, also the occasional barrel, fast track to the waiting taxi, then to assist with the loading.
It would appear the Porters are lucky for us.

You seem to me to be pretty close to boasting you have been able to contravene customs regulations, thereby depriving the state, and the useful things it pays for, like defence, health, etc, of revenue. I apologise in advance if I have misunderstood.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You seem to me to be pretty close to boasting you have been able to contravene customs regulations, thereby depriving the state, and the useful things it pays for, like defence, health, etc, of revenue. I apologise in advance if I have misunderstood.

Apology accepted

On 12/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Apology accepted

So in what way has one been 'lucky'? Does one's luck simply amount to being able to locate porters or is one being disingenuous? I think one should clarify.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

So in what way has one been 'lucky'? Does one's luck simply amount to being able to locate porters or is one being disingenuous? I think one should clarify.

To save any confusion.
For over 30 years, never stopped by HMRC at Southampton.  One thinks it’s luck together the additional possibility of using porters, who proceed with pace through the Green Channel. 

I must look like a criminal or smuggler because I have been stopped a couple of times in Southampton. We were also a few years ago approached by official person in Mayflower Terminal before we had checked in and asked how much cash I was taking on holiday with me.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I must look like a criminal or smuggler because I have been stopped a couple of times in Southampton. We were also a few years ago approached by official person in Mayflower Terminal before we had checked in and asked how much cash I was taking on holiday with me.

So which agency did they represent and were they acting intra vires?