What is Club Orange?

knitter

48 minutes ago, knitter said:

Can someone provide some info on Club Orange- what is it, what does it cost (I'm sure there is a cost!!!), benefits, is it worthwhile? Thanks. Will be on Nieuw Amsterdam in February. Thanks.

Sandy

The benefits depends on what Mariner level you are, what cabin you currently book and number of days itinerary. You pay upfront for whatever the per diem at that time. So if it's $50 per day for a 10 day cruise, you pay $500. For me, it's not worth it unless on Pinnacle Class ship as I don't like the MDR on the big ships. On other ships you eat in MDR with 1 extra selection offered on the menu so not beneficial to me. IMHO There may be benefits for others but they don't entice me or the cabins I usually book. 

• Like 1

For a seven day cruise it is $25.00 per day There are a lot of little perks and I like it. Priority on booking excursions, no tender ticket needed when tendering. Dedicated line at the main desk.  I have done it in the past and I would but it in the future.

3 hours ago, knitter said:

Can someone provide some info on Club Orange- what is it, what does it cost (I'm sure there is a cost!!!), benefits, is it worthwhile? Thanks. Will be on Nieuw Amsterdam in February. Thanks.

Sandy

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/dining/club-orange.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

4 hours ago, Himself said:

For a seven day cruise it is $25.00 per day There are a lot of little perks and I like it. Priority on booking excursions, no tender ticket needed when tendering. Dedicated line at the main desk.  I have done it in the past and I would but it in the future.

The biggest dollar benefit is the no-cost cabin upgrade within your booked "meta-category".  We had a V-category cabin booked, contacted HAL about Club Orange, and the agent allowed us to downgrade to an obstructed balcony (and reset the price at that level) then upgraded us no-cost to the original cabin.  The net cost change after the Club Orange cost ($25/day/person) was -$60 from our original booking plus we get the other Club Orange priority benefits.

The links share the general benefits, so good to review. A few points of ship differentiation FYI:  On the Pinnacle Class ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam), you have a dedicated dining room for breakfast and dinner - quite nice as it's more private and typically more personalized service. On the other ships, for Club Orange you have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (very nice!), however your dinner is in the Dining Room (sometimes in a special section, and always with an additional "special entree option) which IMO isn't as special as in a dedicated room on the Pinnacle Class ships. If you book a Neptune Suite or the Pinnacle Suite (Penthouse) you automatically get it. Otherwise, as others have said, you have to call HAL to request it (at an additional fee). It is capacity controlled so many times is sold out, so if it's of interest to you, book sooner rather than later. 

56 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

The links share the general benefits, so good to review. A few points of ship differentiation FYI:  On the Pinnacle Class ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam), you have a dedicated dining room for breakfast and dinner - quite nice as it's more private and typically more personalized service. On the other ships, for Club Orange you have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (very nice!), however your dinner is in the Dining Room (sometimes in a special section, and always with an additional "special entree option) which IMO isn't as special as in a dedicated room on the Pinnacle Class ships. If you book a Neptune Suite or the Pinnacle Suite (Penthouse) you automatically get it. Otherwise, as others have said, you have to call HAL to request it (at an additional fee). It is capacity controlled so many times is sold out, so if it's of interest to you, book sooner rather than later. 

Have you actually experienced breakfast in the pinnacle grill with club orange on non pinnacle ships?  I’ve heard this repeated a few times but I’m pretty sure that is not correct.  I actually had Peruvian chicken in club orange on the the koningsdam as a special one night.  When I saw it on the plate it looked so so but it was delicious.

We didn't have Club Orange a few weeks ago, but every time we walked by the separate dining area, we thought it looked not as nice as the dining room.  The food is obviously the same.  It's glassed in, so people heading to and from the main dining room (at least on N. Statendam), can watch you. It just didn't look as comfortable.  My opinion.

3 minutes ago, CherryG said:

We didn't have Club Orange a few weeks ago, but every time we walked by the separate dining area, we thought it looked not as nice as the dining room.  The food is obviously the same.  It's glassed in, so people heading to and from the main dining room (at least on N. Statendam), can watch you. It just didn't look as comfortable.  My opinion.

It’s great to sit there and watch the sea instead of a giant room full of people.  The best part, however, is the intimate atmosphere and personal service.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Have you actually experienced breakfast in the pinnacle grill with club orange on non pinnacle ships?  I’ve heard this repeated a few times but I’m pretty sure that is not correct.  I actually had Peruvian chicken in club orange on the the koningsdam as a special one night.  When I saw it on the plate it looked so so but it was delicious.

CO breakfast in Pinnacle Grill is similar to Neptune Suites benefits which we've done. It's a nice breakfast but same options each morning (you could probably ask for something unique) but I prefer the variety of Lido as I eat a large breakfast so ordering  in the restaurant makes me feel gluttonous🤪

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s great to sit there and watch the sea instead of a giant room full of people.  The best part, however, is the intimate atmosphere and personal service.

Haven't sailed NS yet but we loved Rotterdam CO restaurant. Very quiet, intimate and easy. On KDam we didn't try it but it looked more industrial and not as comfortable than RDam. 

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

Haven't sailed NS yet but we loved Rotterdam CO restaurant. Very quiet, intimate and easy. On KDam we didn't try it but it looked more industrial and not as comfortable than RDam. 

We had to cancel our Rotterdam cruise so haven’t tried CO on that ship.  I think, with their third iteration, it would be something I’d like.  Although the NS looked more comfortable than the K’dam, I actually find the seating on the K’dam to be better, especially in the high tops.  I won’t sit in the high tops on the NS anymore but am okay with them on the K’dam.

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes @Florida_gal_50we've experienced it many times on the on the non-Pinnacle ships, although we most commonly sail the Pinnacle and the Vista class ships. 

35 minutes ago, CherryG said:

I generally find comments such as yours from people who have never tried it.   Actually the food is not the same.  It’s actually hot, something I rarely experience in the mdr.  They do have a daily special for dinner which was really nice when I tried it.  It’s actually every bit if not more comfortable than the mdr and usually you are not sitting there for hours.  Not once did anyone watch me.  Did you see people peering in for extended periods?  I just find that odd.  I’m very cognizant of people that stare and I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed it.  All that said I’m happy if people don’t like it.  It was oversold on the koningsdam in November.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I generally find comments such as yours from people who have never tried it.   Actually the food is not the same.  It’s actually hot, something I rarely experience in the mdr.  They do have a daily special for dinner which was really nice when I tried it.  It’s actually every bit if not more comfortable than the mdr and usually you are not sitting there for hours.  Not once did anyone watch me.  Did you see people peering in for extended periods?  I just find that odd.  I’m very cognizant of people that stare and I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed it.

We actually did have people stare walking buy (probably curiosity not knowing the venue) but we just stared back while eating😆. Didn't feel any different than sitting in a Cafe in Europe and people walking buy (at least on RDam, KDam is more glass/open). And yes much better than dining in Pinnacle Class MDR. 

29 minutes ago, REOVA said:

CO breakfast in Pinnacle Grill is similar to Neptune Suites benefits which we've done. It's a nice breakfast but same options each morning (you could probably ask for something unique) but I prefer the variety of Lido as I eat a large breakfast so ordering  in the restaurant makes me feel gluttonous🤪

Too funny.  No, I don’t ever ask for anything special that’s not on the menu. I do get a kick out of people asking for everything bagels.  Something that so widely known is not available on the ship.  One good thing about being on a ship is that I eat a lot less carbs which is good because I eat too many at home.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

We actually did have people stare walking buy (probably curiosity not knowing the venue) but we just stared back while eating😆. Didn't feel any different than sitting in a Cafe in Europe and people walking buy (at least on RDam, KDam is more glass/open). And yes much better than dining in Pinnacle Class MDR. 

I would have been tempted to wave.  It seemed several people didn’t know the difference between the mdr and club orange on my cruise because every morning she was turning people away because they didn’t have club orange.  They thought it was the mdr. It would have been a huge problem fitting all those people in club orange.  Also heard a person telling a high level mariner that they probably had access to club orange and they should ask.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Too funny.  No, I don’t ever ask for anything special that’s not on the menu. I do get a kick out of people asking for everything bagels.  Something that so widely known is not available on the ship.  One good thing about being on a ship is that I eat a lot less carbs which is good because I eat too many at home.  

Interesting....I eat way more carbs when traveling.   Especially on vacation.

1 hour ago, bdd123 said:

Interesting....I eat way more carbs when traveling.   Especially on vacation.

I really try not to eat carbs with my protein.  At home I eat bread every day for breakfast.  On a ship I eat eggs at least half the time or more.  Hal gives tiny carb portions.  I’m speaking of potatoes with fish for instance.  They usually put a baby potato or two on the plate.  If I was having a potato at home it would be an adult 😛.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the information on the non pinnacle ships and eating in the pinnacle.  I’m really surprised at that.  I was lead to believe you’d be in the mdr.  I haven’t been on a non pinnacle ships for a while.

We were on two recent cruises on the Eurodam and had breakfast daily in the Pinnacle due to being in Neptunes.  There were not many people in there daily, maybe 20-30?, so I doubt they let Club Orange people in.  But then again I do not know for certain.  We are on the NA in Feb so I will ask then.

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We were on two recent cruises on the Eurodam and had breakfast daily in the Pinnacle due to being in Neptunes.  There were not many people in there daily, maybe 20-30?, so I doubt they let Club Orange people in.  But then again I do not know for certain.  We are on the NA in Feb so I will ask then.

Thank you.  I would have thought there would have been a huge uproar on here given that people get so upset about people buying perks.  

For the very first time, we will have club orange on our next cruise.  I have no idea why, since I didn't ask for it in the booking process.  I have no need of priority boarding or tendering but they have kind of a nifty carryall bag that I'll be sure to use. As far as dining goes, I'm pretty much open to new experiences, so that should be fine by us.  I know you can upgrade within your cat. but I'm pretty much where I want to be right now.