Travel agent question...

Stockjock

First off, I understand that we cannot name or recommend travel agents, so hopefully everyone will abide by that.

So with that in mind, usually I book direct, but I have used travel agents.  I had a great one who was so good they promoted her to supervisor and that was the end of that.

Recently, I booked Oceania through a travel agent and got $150 OBC (it was an inexpensive cruise as Oceania goes).  Last week, I booked a suite on MSC and while it wasn't one of the super pricey suites, it was still a suite.  I asked what she could do if I transferred the booking to her and the offer was $100, which I declined.

So without naming names, what sort of perks do you receive from your travel agent?  Do the amounts offered seem pretty low, or is that relatively standard?

I recently booked a 7 day cruise for late January in a YC Deluxe cabin on Seascape with a major on-line agency.  Even with a 10% military discount, they gave us a $500 obc in addition to $200 obc from MSC which was part of the then current promotion.  The agency I used was recommended by another CC member on this board via e-mail.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Just curious...you do realize that what they give you back comes out of their commission, right? How much of your salary do you give back to your clients/customers?

If you're asking me, yes I do realize that.  The amount she/they offered me was up to them.  I did not ask or negotiate for a particular amount.  If they weren't "comfortable" giving that amount, they wouldn't have offered & given it or they wouldn't continue working at that agency.

This is my first experience using this agency, so other than the initial booking, I'm not sure how much other assistance I can expect if any glitches arise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Just curious...you do realize that what they give you back comes out of their commission, right? How much of your salary do you give back to your clients/customers?

In direct response to your question, I work for one of the major Wall Street firms.  On accounts under $100,000 I make zero.  Because I am kind or foolish or both, I have a good number of those accounts.  So I work for nothing, trade for nothing, do financial planning for nothing, service client needs for nothing, yet still face potential regulatory risks if someone or other complains.  In other words, all of the downside and none of the upside.

We have a dramatically reduced payout between $100,000 and $250,000, but I also have quite a few of those.  You'd be astonished at how little I make on many of these accounts.

From $250,000 in assets and up, I can get paid on our normal grid, yet I do have accounts where I make very little or nothing.  When I can charge for services, I typically discount from 35% to 50% under most circumstances.

Are you sorry you asked?  All of the above is accurate.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The $$ given do not come out of the individual travel agents pocket. It comes from the agency coffers.  The agency has a % of the fare that the agent, on behalf of the agency, can give you. Each ageny gets overrides from the cruise line based on business placed with that line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

$600 last MSC YC cruise.

I have looked at Celebrity Retreat.  For that, with the same agency, it's $915 from the agency, plus what Celebrity is offering in OBC for Retreat (at the time it was $800).  Didn't book, cause I felt X's pricing was still too high, but that should give you an idea.

7% to 10% is what I've been told is a pretty good deal and what you should expect.  This is before taxes and port fees.

Edited by mafig
  • Like 3

Interesting I don't think we get these kind of deals in UK.

Out of interst what's the rationale for cruise critic not to mention travel agents by name? Because its funded / paid for by the agents that they promote?

45 minutes ago, Ryan82 said:

Out of interst what's the rationale for cruise critic not to mention travel agents by name? Because its funded / paid for by the agents that they promote?

Sorry No mention of travel agents names allowed

I have my opinion, but whether it's the correct one or not only the mods know.

When I first joined Cruise Critic mentioning of travel agents was allowed.  People would post their deals and post what travel agency they used and also their agent's name.  They would  also post what agency was not so good, also by name of agency and the agent's name.  There was one, in particular, who would threaten law suits if someone said anything bad about them.

Then, I heard, agencies would post fake glowing reports about themselves and also fake bad reports about their competitors.  Whether this is true or not, I do not know.  I do know when I first started cruising I got a lot of referrals of agents  from this site and one I used for years after until she passed away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mafig said:

$600 last MSC YC cruise.

I have looked at Celebrity Retreat.  For that, with the same agency, it's $915 from the agency, plus what Celebrity is offering in OBC for Retreat (at the time it was $800).  Didn't book, cause I felt X's pricing was still too high, but that should give you an idea.

7% to 10% is what I've been told is a pretty good deal and what you should expect.  This is before taxes and port fees.

I think those numbers are pretty much what I'm after, thx.

2 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

Sadly that is the case. Black friday was the prime example of that: MSC offered free WiFi and drinks for US and Canadian residents. Nothing in Europe, not even discounts (apart of some less popular cruises).

• Like 1

I only use Online agencies. Have so since 2000 (15 or so cruises). My goal is to never talk on phone and that has only happened 2x ...both times to clarify a OBC question. I have several I compare with and always get a lower price than booking thru cruiselines direct

17 hours ago, cp1824 said:

10% of commissionable fare as OBC plus any cruiseline incentives

I think we use the same agency. This last cruise, we got $400 on our 3-person cabin and $250 on our 2-person cabin, both in the YC. 

I have yet to find an agency outside of this one who can beat that, and I've tried several. I let them know up front what I'm looking for, so I don't feel bad if I do not continue to book with them.

Edited by psmarkle

I have consistently used the same on line agency since 2001. 

I stay with one agent, and when they have been promoted, they pass me along to an agent that they respect professionally.

I have found that because this agency does a volume business with different cruise lines, their advertise fare usually is less than any fares posted on the cruise line website and usually has offered perks (like OBC) that is not on the cruise line site.

On the rare occasion that I have had a problem with a booking (cruise line error) , the agency I deal with is the a thousand pond gorilla with the cruise line and any problems are quickly resolved.

This included our first MSC cruise where I was given certain on board perks with my booking and a second cabin linked with ours did not receive them (same cabin class). The agent called MSC and the line found that it was a mistake on MSC's end and resolved it by honoring the mistake for my cabin and extending the same on board perks to the linked reservation.

No screaming, no threats of lawsuits, no endless bad mouthing of the cruise line, just a professional resolution and customer service.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Seadweller001 said:

11% off the price netted for any cruise booked.  No OBC except from MSC.  On a 7 night YC Grand Deluxe cabin the discount is material.  Lucky to have found a large Travel Agency willing to negotiate their commissions with me.

Sounds like you are a good customer.  Not surprised that they'd negotiate.

Money talks.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

No screaming, no threats of lawsuits, no endless bad mouthing of the cruise line, just a professional resolution and customer service.

I've never understood threatening lawsuits, as once one makes that threat, at times, the conversation is over and you may then be required to have your lawyer speak with the company's legal department.

I mean, if someone wants to (try) to exercise legal rights that they may or may not have, it's up to them.  But when people start talking about lawyers, who may bill many hours at $300-$400 per hour, most companies will call their bluff, shut down the discussion, and it typically ends up being counterproductive.

Usually, my approach is that if I'm not happy with the response I'm getting from someone, get off the phone and talk to someone else.  Then, rinse and repeat until the desired result is achieved.

As an example, an interior compartment of my car was recently flooded during a torrential storm.  The initial estimate was $4,200.  There are gallons of standing water, but nothing's been shorted out...yet.  The insurance company denied my claim, saying it was a "maintenance issue".  Spoke with several others, who also denied the claim and it was closed.  Finally, got hold of a supervisor who reopened the case.  No threats.  Nothing but niceness and a degree of persistence.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

All kidding aside...

Throw a fella a bone and spill the tea on these can't-miss TAs! With retirement not too far off, we'll be looking to cruise more often. Tapping into extra OBC would be a real boon.

So, all you sail-away sages and gangway gurus, if you can help, my electronic inbox is
no1talks @ Any Old Laptop . com