Riveria Cruise Dec. 7th AMA

itsalwaysthree

4 hours ago, mtadk said:

I'd love to hear your impressions of the "new" Riviera. Has the internet been improved at all? How are the new bathrooms? Any other information would be very welcome. Thank you

The bathrooms have a lot of storage compared to other cruise ships we’ve been on. We both really prefer the walk-in shower to the bathtub combination. The Internet is still at a snail’s pace, and often doesn’t work at all. 

The ice cream and gelato have been moved out of the Terrace Café to the end of the pool deck, making it more accessible to more people. 

all in all, we’re really impressed. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, schelercamus said:

The ice cream and gelato have been moved out of the Terrace Café to the end of the pool deck, making it more accessible to more people. 

So if you want to have ice cream for a desert with your meal in the Terrace Cafe you have to go to the end of the pool deck to get it?  Didn't they have an " ice cream parlor" as part of Waves?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

So if you want to have ice cream for a desert with your meal in the Terrace Cafe you have to go to the end of the pool deck to get it?  Didn't they have an " ice cream parlor" as part of Waves?

I believe he is talking about the ice cream parlor right outside the door to terrace Cafe.  They have removed the ice cream/gelato case from inside Terrace.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 2:04 PM, itsalwaysthree said:

Hello Oceania cruisers!  My partner and i are currently in Rome (ah, how I love Rome) and we will be on the refitted Dec. 7th transatlantic out of Rome to Miami. It is our first Oceania cruise so we are excited!  Previous experience is NCL x4 (2 in the Haven) and RCL x2. I also have no doubt we will be 2 of the youngest people on board- I’m 39. 

We also know this will be a refitted, fresh paint ship. We didn’t know if you all wanted a “fresh set of eyes” to ask questions of as well.  I’m sure others can do a comparison of what it was to what it is but we have no expectations, honestly. We are along for the ride! And to learn how to play Bridge. 🙂

let us know if you have any questions and we will answer them with pictures! When we can. 

@itsalwaysthree Thank you for the offer to ask you questions. I will be on the Riviera on November 9, 2023.  It starts out in Athens.  Can you share the temp it was when you boarded?  

Also, my last four cruises were also NCL.  The first two were also in the Haven and the last two in a Club Balcony Suite.  I know the Haven very well and would love your comparison between Oceania and the Haven.  Also, and I know where this question is going.  Can you tell me our impression the the dining.  We just got off the NCL Breakaway and the food was well, just OK.  Any information would be much appreciate. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

34 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe he is talking about the ice cream parlor right outside the door to terrace Cafe.  They have removed the ice cream/gelato case from inside Terrace.

So it's not really an improvement? Where they had two ice cream stations they now have one? 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

So it's not really an improvement? Where they had two ice cream stations they now have one? 

Depends upon what they replaced the ice cream area with inside Terrace and if they increased the size of the Waves ice cream area......

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ORV said:
1 hour ago, basor said:

I am confused. Hope we get a clarification from the source of this information.  As I recall, there was a ice cream station as part of the center   Serving island where one could get a scoop ( or in my case more then one scoop🙂) of up to, I think,  8 different flavors of ice cream with the possibility of some toppings.  If one wanted a malt, shake, sundae or such there was a parlor just outside the starboard door of the Terrace Cafe which was part of Waves.  Why would they, if this is true, remove the ice cream inside the Cafe.  It was an important and popular part of the desert offering?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ToxM said:

I think Basor is correct, the Ice cream and shakes area was right next to the entrance to The Terrace, moving it closer to the pool area makes much more sense. 

I'm not sure that is what the poster is saying. Where would it be? No room by the bar. Smoking area? I don't think so.  Would it be at the front end of Waves? If it moved most probable. I think it's more a matter of it being removed from inside Terrace, and nothing changing in the area by Waves. Maybe the poster can come back and clear it up. 

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm not sure that is what the poster is saying. Where would it be? No room by the bar. Smoking area? I don't think so.  Would it be at the front end of Waves? If it moved most probable. I think it's more a matter of it being removed from inside Terrace, and nothing changing in the area by Waves. Maybe the poster can come back and clear it up. 

It’s just had a refit, maybe they removed the ice cream section to house the trattoria equipment and put the ice cream area down where the portable BBQ usually sits. 

I agree we need a pic. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ToxM said:

maybe they removed the ice cream section to house the trattoria equipment and put the ice cream area down where the portable BBQ usually sits. 

Exactly what I was thinking, if it did move, seems simpler to put the Trattoria equipment where the BBQ was.

Pizza on O looks good but tastes lousy. Thats probably a good thing since it is so calorie laden. But still. Cant figure out why, so couldnt recommend an improvement. Crust seemed ok, sauce ok, ingredients very good, maybe it is the cheese, seems to have some kind of weird taste to it. Anyone else think that? yeah I know I am being too picky....but really want to improve it for all the pizza lovers.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

To clarify - the Trattoria is the Waves Grill from 6:30 to 9::30

All the pizzas are red sauce (tomato)

Sigh.  I do wish they would have non-red sauce offerings for those who are allergic to tomatoes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Pizza on O looks good but tastes lousy. Thats probably a good thing since it is so calorie laden. But still. Cant figure out why, so couldnt recommend an improvement. Crust seemed ok, sauce ok, ingredients very good, maybe it is the cheese, seems to have some kind of weird taste to it. Anyone else think that? yeah I know I am being too picky....but really want to improve it for all the pizza lovers.....

Pizza on Sirena is great, I hope it is as good in the trattoria.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@itsalwaysthree Thank you for the offer to ask you questions. I will be on the Riviera on November 9, 2023.  It starts out in Athens.  Can you share the temp it was when you boarded?  

I sailed from Athens on October 29, 2022.  The previous two days were about 72-74 degrees.  It was very pleasant.  There was some wind on the 28th.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I agree with you, I've always felt the pizza on O is lousy, I can cook better at home with a fajita wrap and ingredients we have on hand. We don't pretend it's good pizza, but it's better than what O serves. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I just saw a picture.  It is right below Barista's perpendicular to Waves facing the pool on the starboard side.

So this is where the stage was?