Continental Breakfast/coffee is no longer free? Rumor or Not?

northwoodsmom

Thanks @Ken the cruiser for adding to the thin evidence pile. Seems like a slow turnover of this throughout the fleet. I wonder if the goal is to have it fleetwide by Jan. 1st. NCL.com FAQs still reflect the complimentary (no delivery charge) continental language, though it does say "Prices subject to change." https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

Edited by weltek
  • Like 2

While I don’t like how NCL iOS trending recently, I’ve never had coffee on ANY cruise line (except maybe the French Press in the Haven or Al Bacio coffee on Celebrity) that was worth me paying ANYTHING extra.

I think it may be a long while before I sail NCL again.  COVID couldn’t stop me.  Being jacked around during the start up didn’t stop me.  But, service is one of the key things I look forward to on a cruise.  Start taking that away, or start repricing the cruise experience, that’s a sure way to make me look elsewhere.

On a positive note, I just put in a sell order for my 1,000 shares of NCL stock.  Very nice ROI.  I hadn’t looked at it in a while.  In addition to about $500 on OBC I’ve received over the last 18 or so months from cruises I’ve taken, I bought it at $11.10/share.  It has appreciated nicely.  Put in the sell order.  Just sold at $16.65/share.  More than doubled my money including the OBC.

Wish all my investments paid as well.

So, unless a crazy deal crosses my screen, will not be sailing NCL for a while.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That is my understanding as well. We generally book YC though so Room service is included. Have to think that such a fee would not apply to Haven suites but who knows?!

The Haven does not have to pay the room service fee. At least Haven guests didn't have to pay the $9.95 fee. I can't expect this would rollout to Haven guests, but I definitely could be wrong. Looks like you'll receive a similar experience (in terms of room service charges) from the Yacht Club to the Haven. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

While I don’t like how NCL iOS trending recently, I’ve never had coffee on ANY cruise line (except maybe the French Press in the Haven or Al Bacio coffee on Celebrity) that was worth me paying ANYTHING extra.

I think it may be a long while before I sail NCL again.  COVID couldn’t stop me.  Being jacked around during the start up didn’t stop me.  But, service is one of the key things I look forward to on a cruise.  Start taking that away, or start repricing the cruise experience, that’s a sure way to make me look elsewhere.

On a positive note, I just put in a sell order for my 1,000 shares of NCL stock.  Very nice ROI.  I hadn’t looked at it in a while.  In addition to about $500 on OBC I’ve received over the last 18 or so months from cruises I’ve taken, I bought it at $11.10/share.  It has appreciated nicely.  Put in the sell order.  Just sold at $16.65/share.  More than doubled my money including the OBC.

I agree with you. You know I was already pretty anti-NCL after my restart experiences. My Halloween cruise on the Breakaway with you was one of my best cruises ever, but not so much because of NCL. It was because of the great people I met on board and the great times I had with them. This news is a real disappointment. I have always loved my coffee and pastry wake-up call on every cruise I've ever been on. Having coffee and pastries out on my balcony before I get showered and dressed and head to a real breakfast is a cruise ritual for me and if I ever sail NCL again (unlikely), I will now have to factor this daily cost into my budgeting/pricing out of the cruise.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

...1,000 shares of NCL stock.  Very nice ROI.  I hadn’t looked at it in a while.  In addition to about $500 on OBC I’ve received over the last 18 or so months from cruises I’ve taken, I bought it at $11.10/share.  It has appreciated nicely.  Put in the sell order.  Just sold at $16.65/share.  More than doubled my money including the OBC....

🤔

It's a fine return, but I don't see how the math calculates to "more than doubled" mine shows about 50%

1000 x $11.10 = $11,100

1000 x $16.65 = $16,650

$16,650 - $11,100 = $5,550

$5,550 + $500 = $6,050

$6,050 / $11,100 = 54.5%

Edited by cruiseinfoseeker
  • Haha 2

This new change could get more people to consider purchasing Priority Access as it waived the service charge for breakfast. 

On that note, is Priority Access a set number or percentage — does it sell out? If too many people purchase, some of the priority treatment is diminished. 

11 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

🤔

It's a fine return, but I don't see how the math calculates to "more than doubled" mine shows about 50%

1000 x $11.10 = $11,100

1000 x $16.65 = $16,650

$5,550 + $500 = $6,050

$6,050 / $11,100 = 54.5%

Whoops.....my math was a bit off, wasn't it?  Still, I'll take it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I agree with you. You know I was already pretty anti-NCL after my restart experiences. My Halloween cruise on the Breakaway with you was one of my best cruises ever, but not so much because of NCL. It was because of the great people I met on board and the great times I had with them. This news is a real disappointment. I have always loved my coffee and pastry wake-up call on every cruise I've ever been on. Having coffee and pastries out on my balcony before I get showered and dressed and head to a real breakfast is a cruise ritual for me and if I ever sail NCL again (unlikely), I will now have to factor this daily cost into my budgeting/pricing out of the cruise.

Excellent points.  

Our last cruise was great.  But, as you point out, we were all having a good time....Not because of the cruise (although it was the catalyst), but because of being able to "hang out" together.  It was a function of our wonderful CC friends, not necessarily the cruise itself.  Gotta say, the cruise went well as a whole.  Nothing bad happened.  We were generally on time.  I don't recall having to wait.....for anything.  It went smoothly.  Plus, I really liked that itinerary.  But, I'm a Mid-Westerner.  So, we don't get to see historically rich and fancy ports, like you 'Yorkers.

As they say, nothing is forever.  But, I'm looking elsewhere for my cruise fix.  Like you, I just booked an MSC cruise.  It sails in May, so I'm also looking for another cruise for the dreary "after New Year" time frame to tide me over until then.  

Not looking at NCL, though.  Wish I could join y'all on your MSC cruise.  I just can't pull that one off.  Am also anxiously looking forward to your report on your Princess Cruise!

1 hour ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

🤔

1000 x $11.10 = $11,100

1000 x $16.65 = $16,650

$5,550 + $500 = $6,050

$6,050 / $11,100 = 54.5%

And capital gains taxes. Guy likes to talk big around here.

Even though we will be in a Haven cabin for our next cruise, this new news does not sit well with me either.   Like many others, have coffee and pastries delivered to our cabin to start off our day is something we really enjoy.       When not included in the future, I will get dressed and run to the buffet or observation lounge to grab it myself instead of paying the $6 (including the service charge) plus additional tip.  

16 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

So I wonder what will happen for the staff who used to receive cash tips for delivery?   I wonder if they will continue to get cash tips on top of the 20% added gratuity.  I feel like they're probably the ones who will lose out.

Yes, I agree.   The staff who delivers will most likely lose out.

19 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

So I wonder what will happen for the staff who used to receive cash tips for delivery?   I wonder if they will continue to get cash tips on top of the 20% added gratuity.  I feel like they're probably the ones who will lose out.

I will continue to tip…even though the 20% was added….cause we know that the auto added gratuity is spread across many.   However, we will probably not order everyday.  Which is what I suspect NCL wants.  Fewer service deliveries and a cost for those that order.  Looks like NCL wins both sides.  In the short run while trying to recoup lost revenue I accept.  At some point they will need to be more competitive and will likely revert to more free things. If not, then NCL probably won’t be our first choice. Time will tell.

Edited by laudergayle

2 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Isn't @Ken the cruiser's post enough evidence??? He posted a picture of the door hanger that spells it out. Now there are posts about it from multiple people on different ships.

I would like NCL to confirm a date it will be fleetwide. Right now we only know for sure that it's some ships. 

20 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Maybe not, if people like me start to order breakfast now.

And has anyone verified the 20% gratuity - according to the info, the 20% is for non- complimentary items.

What is an appropriate tip - asking for a friend lol!

This is disappointing. We usually order a carafe of coffee, especially since the in-room coffeemakers were removed (which, let's face it, were never that great), and will miss being able to get a wake up call + coffee + pastries.

I will be glad to get one of the hot items delivered for the new lower price, but it is more chipping away at what makes the cruise experience special.

At least it is one flat price like it is later in the day. I hear that Carnival started a la carte pricing for room service after breakfast. I do not know how it works on Carnival for breakfast, since I have never cruised with them. That could add up really fast.

• Like 2

Guess I’ll have to stock up on my room service items lol.    
I like milk and cereal in the am. And an OJ.      I’ll just have to order 6 of each my first night.   Lolol.    Keep it all it the cooler lololol.    I’ll show them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Funny, I could care less about the charge. We have done 11 cruises with NCL. Never got room service with the exception of our last cruise in the Haven. Its far easier for us to grab coffee or some breakfast in the buffet. Guess I'm the odd man out

• Like 1