Dinner Splendor Pool Grill

Observer

23 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hmmm?  Not sure I'm "All In" for paying $1 Grand per person per day, and not even getting Alaskan King Crab Legs at dinner!  Whatta bargain!!

King Crab season was cancelled due to population decline.  Not just a Regent issue.  

https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska-s-crab-fishery-canceled-for-the-first-time-since-1994#:~:text=Low stocks have prompted the,the winter 2021-2022 season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ssawjo said:

We were on the same cruise as your Turn 8A.  We used the Pool Grill a few times and found the service good and the food was very good.  However, if you wanted french fries with your cheeseburger or whatever, you were out of luck.  They usually had baked potatoes or something else.  On those rough sea evenings, it was fun watching the pool splash away!

Interesting re the french fries.  Just finished a cruise on the Mariner and we got french fries at the pool grill whether we wanted them or not.  Had to ask to hold them on those occasions when we did not want them.  Perhaps it was an issue with supply chain to a particular ship.

11 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hmmm?  Not sure I'm "All In" for paying $1 Grand per person per day, and not even getting Alaskan King Crab Legs at dinner!  Whatta bargain!!

Crab harvesting in Alaska was suspended for the past season to allow for the recovery of the crab population.  So it has nothing to do with "cost cutting."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

Interesting re the french fries.  Just finished a cruise on the Mariner and we got french fries at the pool grill whether we wanted them or not.  Had to ask to hold them on those occasions when we did not want them.  Perhaps it was an issue with supply chain to a particular ship.

The lack of french fries was just at dinner, otherwise, there were plenty at lunch.  They did not have anyone manning the fryer in the evening.  This was on the Voyager.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, Observer said:

Any suggestions regarding a person in management (and email address, please) whom one could write to express serious disappointment with this apparent decision?

Thanks to GOARMY for the contact information.   I wrote to her a month ago and have not had the courtesy of a response. I understand that there has been holidays, etc.  But there was not any acknowledgment of my message or an out of office reply.

Friends who sail both on Regent and Silversea say is that they may be canceling voyages on Regent because of this decision. They see interesting health implications in a time of viruses. On many Silversea ships there are consistently three outdoor options for dinner.  They lost a parent to Covid and are being as cautious as possible. they recently returned from a Caribbean cruise on Silversea and say they had every dinner outdoors at three restaurants.which offered al fresco dining.   

• Like 3

On the sister line, Oceania, you always have The Terrace option to dine al fresco or casual inside. On Regent, if you shut down the Pool Grill, you have nothing outside. Since La Veranda becomes Setti Mari in the evening, opening the Pool Grill with a casual menu would not duplicate anything else being served. Bad decision by Miami.

Sette Mari does have limited outdoor dinner seating.  Depends on the weather, of course, as to comfort level.  Those few tables fill up quickly when weather and sea conditions cooperate.  Want an outdoor seating?  Show up before the 1830H opening.  

GOARMY!

16 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Sette Mari does have limited outdoor dinner seating.

More on Splendor & Explorer than the other ships

16 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Bad decision by Miami.

Not if the venue was not popular & therefore underused

We enjoy the Pool Grill for lunch but have never had an inclination to use it in the evening. All the other venues offer plenty of choice for us.

17 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Bad decision by Miami.

I agree with above comment, "not if underused."  I love the Pool Grill also at night after a long day on shore and I want a quick, casual dinner then head to my cabin to relax.  But on many of the itineraries it is terribly under utilized.  I'm sure that's what drove this decision.  Manning the Pool Grill at dinner time requires 2 cooks plus a bar waiter.  If there's one person eating up there, that's a lot of waste in not only man power, but uneaten food. I'm guessing, at this time in history, where both supplies and hiring crew are "challenging,' that the decision was made to use the funds elsewhere.  I'm hoping it will open in the warm climates when people want to eat around the pool.  But if not, we'll simply use room service.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I agree with above comment, "not if underused."  I love the Pool Grill also at night after a long day on shore and I want a quick, casual dinner then head to my cabin to relax.  But on many of the itineraries it is terribly under utilized.  I'm sure that's what drove this decision.  Manning the Pool Grill at dinner time requires 2 cooks plus a bar waiter.  If there's one person eating up there, that's a lot of waste in not only man power, but uneaten food. I'm guessing, at this time in history, where both supplies and hiring crew are "challenging,' that the decision was made to use the funds elsewhere.  I'm hoping it will open in the warm climates when people want to eat around the pool.  But if not, we'll simply use room service.

It required 6 extra staff housed in guest cabins as well as 2 budgeted staff (living in staff cabins) re-allocated from another dining area. That's a lot of money (especially the lost revenue) to keep it open.

• Like 2

Maybe for the new ships it is not needed, but we ate there several times in Dec on the Splendor along with about 18-20 others. 
On the Navigator also Dec we ate there again several times with about 2 dozen people. The menu was the same every night, but not s problem there as the lamb chops and ribs were wonderful! 

We eat early and did notice everyone else out there were seated by 7:30. The pool grill is needed on the Navigator in on port days in warm weather, probably not so much on the new ships though. Maybe they can rethink this as feature for the ships without all the dinning choices. After all they are leaving it in place for this year world cruise and we begged for it to be open on the Navigators WC.