Possible table for 2 for "The Key" Embarkation lunch?

First time getting the key. We have cruised many times and used to enjoy the large tables. But we are both in sales where we talk to so many clients/customers daily and now we just want to relax and decompress. That being said, at the Embarkation Lunch with the Key is there a possibility of a table for two? I know we want feel like socializing after traveling and boarding 

TIA

2 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Don't sweat small stuff!

This actually is not small stuff to us. I dont mean to sound rude, but we spend 40+ hours a week talking to 100s customers and clients each week. We would like to start our vacation by talking to EACH OTHER. If we have to spend the time at a table for 10, I would rather go straight to the WJ with our early boarding time and fins a small table and visit with my spouse. What may seem small to you is huge for us. We just want a break from small talk and thats whats great about a cruise. We can find ways to make it what we want. And a huge table of strangers isnt it. We have taken our share of cruises sitting at large tables and we prefer small ones.

Edited by ballarinamom

I've done this a couple of times and they have always setup smaller tables and accomdated for group size. Totally agree with you around the need to decompress, as an introvert I would refuse the MDR if placed on a giant table. 

For forty years I have been in client/people-facing positions, so I know what you mean.  Yet, I typically don't mind the 45 minute to hour that a community table requires to enjoy a meal.  What I've found is that I don't need to be "ON" during those meals:  it's fairly effortless and not at all stressful to simply listen as others share their stories and experiences.  It's a brief period where there's nothing to sell, no agreements or signatures to be acquired.

I've met some interesting people... and once or twice a cranky cruiser who thought their elite status entitled them to a say in how the ship was run.  Or the woman across the table who made it an Act of Congress to make her tea, including instructions to an audience of two staff... But it's only 45-60 minutes, so something to laugh at and brush off.

Specific to your question, when I was traveling with a friend that really did not want to sit with others, the staff was reluctant to honor the request for a table for two, citing the limited space for The Key lunch.  But they did sit us at a table for 4 and never sat two others.

2 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

For forty years I have been in client/people-facing positions, so I know what you mean.  Yet, I typically don't mind the 45 minute to hour that a community table requires to enjoy a meal.  What I've found is that I don't need to be "ON" during those meals:  it's fairly effortless and not at all stressful to simply listen as others share their stories and experiences.  It's a brief period where there's nothing to sell, no agreements or signatures to be acquired.

I've met some interesting people... and once or twice a cranky cruiser who thought their elite status entitled them to a say in how the ship was run.  Or the woman across the table who made it an Act of Congress to make her tea, including instructions to an audience of two staff... But it's only 45-60 minutes, so something to laugh at and brush off.

Specific to your question, when I was traveling with a friend that really did not want to sit with others, the staff was reluctant to honor the request for a table for two, citing the limited space for The Key lunch.  But they did sit us at a table for 4 and never sat two others.

Years ago, we did enjoy meeting and chatting with new people. As we are getting older, more tired, we just want to relax. A table for 4 would be ok but not ideal. We just dont want a table for 10 on embarkation day. Thank you for your response

22 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

First time getting the key. We have cruised many times and used to enjoy the large tables. But we are both in sales where we talk to so many clients/customers daily and now we just want to relax and decompress. That being said, at the Embarkation Lunch with the Key is there a possibility of a table for two? I know we want feel like socializing after traveling and boarding 

TIA

I've done The Key twice (sometimes it is worth it), Harmony 2019 and Explorer 2022. Had a table for 2 both times without even asking. Harmony was still in chops, Explorer was August 2022, so not quite post-covid free for all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I've done The Key twice (sometimes it is worth it), Harmony 2019 and Explorer 2022. Had a table for 2 both times without even asking. Harmony was still in chops, Explorer was August 2022, so not quite post-covid free for all.

We're on the Explorer in January. Got it for $18.99 a day. We were going to do two internet packages anyway so its a good deal for the two of us

• Like 1

I have found that they will take requests.  Whether they can accommodate those request depends solely on how many Key boarders there are, but I don't think are that many.

I have never gotten the Key.  But on my last cruise, I did a b2b and the b2b lunch was the same thing as the Key Lunch.  Ironically, we had friends who had the Key on our 2nd leg, and we were allowed to sit together and had the same menu.