Train and then walk to Bondi Beach ?

Hello and thanks in advance for any guidance.

First, my wife and I do like to walk and enjoy taking the local public transportation in cities we visit.

Next year we will be in Sydney and would spend some time visiting the Opera House and sites around it as well as making a trip to Bondi Beach.

Does this idea below sound reasonable or are there better options re: public transportation?  At this point we are discounting Uber, taxi, Lyft, etc.

(This info is from https://transportnsw.info/)

Take the T4 train from Martin Place Station and then get off at Bondi Junction Station.  Walk (about 30 minutes?) via Bondi Road to the southern tip of the beach.  Then we can walk north and decide what to do at the beach itself.

I realize we can also take the bus from Bondi Junction after getting off the train.  But we were thinking it would be nice to just get outside and walk through the neighborhoods.

Thanks for any comments.

Sydney's my local 'big city', so perhaps a jaded response from a local, but I enjoy walking and wandering both scenic and not-scenic routes around cities.

From the train station (Bondi Junction) down to the beach is a long walk, with a fair amount (depending on route) the footpath of a 4-lane main road. Not a lot of neighbourhood on that road! Still, it's enjoyable enough. The Google Maps route seems to pick some smaller roads a couple of blocks north so that might be nicer.

The killer, is the return walk: it's all uphill (about 1:20 to 1:30 gradient). Now, it's not a mountain or anything but you'll feel it in your calves. The main rise out of Bondi Beach is the main uphill section.

• Thanks 1

For public transport, that would be the best option. However, as above, people would typically take the bus from the station to the beach. Bus services are frequent due to the usage there. Of course, you certainly can walk that part if you wish.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, JeffroK said:

Would a bus back to Sydney be an option, you get to see a different view of the scenery an wildlife?

Route 333 is the most express bus route CBD <--> Bondi Beach. It can get busy in peak hour (mornings towards beach, afternoon return to city)!

https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/transdev-john-holland-buses/333/30333

You'll end up coming back through Bondi Junction on this route, then onwards to the CBD

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 10:12 AM, JeffroK said:

You could get a bus to Rose Bay and then ferry ti Circular Quay.

I bet there are 100"s of ways to do it.

yes lots of ways  We take ferry to Watsons Bay from Circular Quay  have fish and chips lunch at Doyles on wharf.  then we walk along the short beach up a hill past houses to harbour view.  then we return to Doyles where we walk through a park to The Gap.  then we  walk along the cliff prior to catching local bus to North Bondi where we have a drink at North Bondi RSL, with its rock pool for swimming.  then we walk along Bondi Beach to Icebergs rock pool, where we have another drink.  from here there is a beautiful walk to Bronte Beach. Or catch local bus back to the City via scenic route or Route 333 express 

• Thanks 1