Ideas for places to visit with Bernards Tours

groundloop

We're doing a private/customized tour with Bernards in a few weeks and we're looking for ideas of places to visit.  My daughter is insisting on Maho Beach to watch planes, other than that we're totally open to ideas.  Maybe an out of the way family restaurant or burger joint for lunch - I seem to recall someone mentioning a good place at Orient Beach but I can't seem to find the post anymore.

11 hours ago, groundloop said:

We're doing a private/customized tour with Bernards in a few weeks and we're looking for ideas of places to visit.  My daughter is insisting on Maho Beach to watch planes, other than that we're totally open to ideas.  Maybe an out of the way family restaurant or burger joint for lunch - I seem to recall someone mentioning a good place at Orient Beach but I can't seem to find the post anymore.

Consider Coco for a special lunch and ambiance, or Coda at a lower price point but still good.

Both are Restaurants that offer Burgers as part if their dining Menus.  But if wanting just great Burgers, then KKO is the place.

There's a very interesting Star Wars museum in town run by a former special effects man on the show.  Also,  when one of our group wanted to see iguanas, Action Jackson (the guide assigned to us on Bernard' tours) took us to a small pond where hundreds of the critters hung around in the trees and came rushing down when a local man showed up who enjoys feeding them.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:31 AM, groundloop said:

Sorry…. Just remembered….. Not knowing age of DD

https://stmaartenpirates.com

Whatever you do, make sure that Bernard gets you to Maho during a time the big planes land. When we took one of his tours, we got there and only saw one tiny dual prop commuter plane land. 

other stops on the tour: stop to feed massive iguanas some lettuce, some fisherman showing us sealife (was it sea stars?), quick stop at Orient Beach and some time shopping in Marigot. 

4 hours ago, MissRabbit said:

Whatever you do, make sure that Bernard gets you to Maho during a time the big planes land. When we took one of his tours, we got there and only saw one tiny dual prop commuter plane land. 

other stops on the tour: stop to feed massive iguanas some lettuce, some fisherman showing us sealife (was it sea stars?), quick stop at Orient Beach and some time shopping in Marigot. 

Great info, thanks for sharing.  Also, you’re correct about the larger planes…just a note to others they generally arrive mid to late afternoon since they’re mostly from overseas ie Europe. Should be the last stop on any tour with enough time to avoid the inevitable traffic on the way back to the ship. We had a large 747 fly overhead to land on a previous visit and I felt like I could reach up and touch the wheels! Also saw the crazies hanging onto the fence when same sized jet took off and they all got sandblasted. Another note, don’t set up your towels and belonging in a direct line with the runway….everything blows into the water when the larger planes take off! So much fun to watch tho! 

@groundloop Let us know what you end up doing, most/least appealing. We're also doing a private/customized tour with Bernards the first week of March. Ours will probably be geared more to our 9 year old granddaughter. We are bringing our snorkel gear so hopefully we can plug in about an hour of that activity. KKO looks great according to website. I'm thinking we may plan iguanas, beach & snorkel, lunch then Maho. Any thoughts if doable...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of booking with Bernards to go to Pinel Island but have a couple questions.  This is what it says on their website

Bernards Tours bus will take you to catch the Ferry for a smooth sail over to Pinel Island(extra cost). When you arrive on Pinel Island you will see a large sand pit. Behind that a stand of Coconut palm trees, and then a small hill that makes up this picture perfect paradise. There are no cars, no roads, (and of course no ATM!)

How far of a walk is it from the ferry to the beach/restaurant and how steep is the hill and is it sandy?  I usually take my walker through sand if it's not too deep but I could just take my cane if it isn't a very long walk.

Once on Pinel island, you are greeted by friendly staff, a sea of festive umbrellas and lounge chairs with handy little tables to place your Pina Colada. This beach is wonderful for all ages as the water is so shallow. Enjoy the rest of your day by exploring the other side of the island with all the pretty shells and amazing waves or have a wonderful meal (the restaurant is available). Don’t forget before you leave stop at the boutique even if just to take a look. What a tranquil experience.

How far of a walk is it to the other side?

Upon return to Philipsburg, transfer back to the ship will be provided free of charge, or you may choose to remain in Philipsburg to shop or sightsee at your own leisure. Walking back t the ship takes between 12 and 15 minutes, or a taxi may take you for approximately $3.

If all they are doing is taking us to and from the ferry terminal couldn't we just get a taxi and save the $35?

Edited by cruiseat50