New Member Photos

donaldsc

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I guess that my follow up question is "why would anyone post some of those pictures"?

DON

Despair.com has one of my favorite "motivational" posters that says all that needs to be said about equal outcome vs. equal opportunity.

Anyone can buy a camera... 😉

image.png.ebb60ddc4d6a8f82f2b8dae84fd50a69.png

That said, if the pictures make them happy, good on them. In almost every case, the picture you take will be better than the one you didn't. 

Dave

• Like 2

These artistic renderings appeared after one of the “upgrades” to the operating systems.

There were lots of requests to remove them, but it was made abundantly clear they were going to stay.

Edited by Docker123

On 12/9/2022 at 12:44 AM, donaldsc said:

I guess that my follow up question is "why would anyone post some of those pictures"?

I can always ask our Community Manager, but having been a host in the CC family for about 25 years (going back to the AOL days when we were on the travel channel with a sister site Independent Traveler) I know one priority would be to balance selections from all of the various communities, so in other words, each of the cruise line boards, various topics, roll calls, etc. 

Another thing that has always been one of, if not the highest priority here are all of our members: YOU! Making sure everyone feels seen, welcome, part of the community, so trying to include new and veteran members alike, meaning it's not all about how many posts you've got or how long you've been around, though we love our ride or die CC'ers! 😉 

What's super important for editors is storytelling. Some photos convey a very clear image that does not require much conjecture; other images, even one we wonder, why that one, can get folks wondering, what's it about? What am I supposed to think about this? Is it interesting, what's going on, should I care? Some photos just are this way, like signs, words, anything we see. Sometimes some people like it, sometimes they don't. The numbers can shift in terms of a majority of yeahs and nays, but it's almost never 100% one way or the other, is it?

And I see it even in the work I do, a nonprofit centered around visual storytelling (photography mostly) where sometimes it's esteemed people making images that, for whatever reason, I'm not understanding... why am I seeing this image? And so I asked about certain images/artists being selected; different opinions and definitely other influences at times. It's complicated. 

Kind of like in life. But a lot of the time, they're pretty amazing, you see it, you know what's happening, and maybe why it's interesting/special/different and worth stopping to look at. Other times? Well, it's also ok to just say without judgement, thanks for making the picture, I'm on to the next one. What's most important is for everyone to make their pictures for their reasons and enjoy doing it without worrying about the outcome whatsoever. (Unless the client is paying, in which case, it kind of matters!)

So here at CC, we love that everyone is taking photos and sharing them. That's why this board is here, for folks who are into it just a little bit more, or are curious about how to elevate their photos, or their kit, or whatever. And oh do we get to see amazing photos or what??!! 

I also know this: the editors and community managers see everything we do, so keep it up! We're getting a little busier and I think more people are discovering and enjoying the forum, the phenomenal images and of course, wonderful people. I know I do. 🙂 

Thanks for the response.  Not sure I agree w your answer on this issue but I see where you are coming from.  No reason to bother the Community Manager on this minor issue.  Thanks for what you do on CC.  Have a good Holiday.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...