Daily Service Charges are now officially out of hand

bjlaac

1 hour ago, footzz said:

The fact is the gratuities or service charges aren't compulsory and be adjusted up or down or completely removed at the passangers request. Please excuse me for a moment while I don my fireproof suit.

Do not fret about the fireproof suits, the rabid crowd will be sure to include sharpened pitchforks to puncture them first. 😉

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Not the same, and not true.

When port charges increase, firstly it's only to a specific port, not all ports, so doesn't affect all cruises, nor all cruisers. And secondly the increase is typically $5-10, which is much less than here, which would typically be $10-$30 - or in this case $35-$70 for a 1-2 week cruise. And I haven't seen any tax increases, so no comparison there.

Also not true as the closest comparable example was when there were fuel charges added, which is similar in that the cost impact was higher and also it affected all cruises, not limited. And that produced many threads and discussion/dissatisfaction. So when the impact is broader and greater like these gratuity increases, there will be threads.

Ive been on this board for a long time. The fuel charges were noting like the DAILY gratuities debates. And the taxes, not necessarily port charges, do go up and affect everyone the same. Yet there's no outrage when the taxes and port charges can cost the same amount, sometimes more, than the actual cruise price

1 minute ago, ballarinamom said:

Ive been on this board for a long time. The fuel charges were noting like the DAILY gratuities debates. And the taxes, not necessarily port charges, do go up and affect everyone the same. Yet there's no outrage when the taxes and port charges can cost the same amount, sometimes more, than the actual cruise price

There are many cruisers, like me, who do include these costs when looking at the big picture, not just "cabin prices". I include the cabin, port charges, taxes, gratuities, and parking (or airfare) and divide it over the nights of the cruise for a per-night-cost. I know that Bermuda can be an additional $40 per person higher port charge for 5 nights compared to a 7-night Bahama cruise. You will often see the cabin price slightly lower for the Bermuda cruise, but it is more than offset by the higher port fee.

I would not say I am outraged by any of it, but I would say I am a savvy consumer. That total price per night is what I need to keep reasonable for the cabin I desire if possible.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

But the problem is that cruise line workers, especially mass market cruise lines, do not get paid a suitable wage and need the gratuities to supplement their wages. 

What is a suitable wage? A US annual wage of $60k? Indian average of less than $3k? I don't think they will ever pay some of these workers similar wages across the board. It would be interesting to know though how much they pay a crew member from India vs any European country for a similar position.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There are many cruisers, like me, who do include these costs when looking at the big picture, not just "cabin prices". I include the cabin, port charges, taxes, gratuities, and parking (or airfare) and divide it over the nights of the cruise for a per-night-cost. I know that Bermuda can be an additional $40 per person higher port charge for 5 nights compared to a 7-night Bahama cruise. You will often see the cabin price slightly lower for the Bermuda cruise, but it is more than offset by the higher port fee.

I would not say I am outraged by any of it, but I would say I am a savvy consumer. That total price per night is what I need to keep reasonable for the cabin I desire if possible.

Exactly. Look at the whole, total cost and see if it works for you. If not, wait for a sale or change plans. But you cant expect the cruise lines to add perks and refurbs without trying to make the money up somewhere. I live in San Antonio, Texas where chips and salsa used to be free at Mexican restaurants. Many now charge. Some places charge for bread or have stopped bringing it out. Things are getting expensive and if they can save from one area, they will do it. And keeping wages down on a cruise keeps the cruise line going. They are all in major debt after the shut down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bjlaac said:

We have several cruises booked, mostly with RCL, but do have one with NCL.  Just got a letter they are "nominally" raising the daily service charge from $16.00 to $20.00 for those below their version of suites and $25 for everyone above.  This is a 25% increase, which is hardly nominal, and comes on top of the April 2022 increase to $16.00.

Now I'm all for tipping the crew and don't believe the removal of these charges are warranted unless there's a real good reason, but this is rediculous!  How long before RCL follows suit?

Confused.  We have a cruise in January and edocs say $16/per day and since booked prior to September 7th can prepay at $14.50.  I haven't seen anything. Online about Royal raising gratuities again.  When is your cruise?  Which ship?  Considering they just raised gratuities in September and the previous increase was 4 years earlier this seems odd.

10 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Confused.  We have a cruise in January and edocs say $16/per day and since booked prior to September 7th can prepay at $14.50.  I haven't seen anything. Online about Royal raising gratuities again.  When is your cruise?  Which ship?  Considering they just raised gratuities in September and the previous increase was 4 years earlier this seems odd.

In the post it says NCL

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Also not true as the closest comparable example was when there were fuel charges added, which is similar in that the cost impact was higher and also it affected all cruises, not limited. And that produced many threads and discussion/dissatisfaction. So when the impact is broader and greater like these gratuity increases, there will be threads.

This is why I prefer talking about cruises on F__eb__k because I can (a) see real names, (b) see real photos and (c) block people I disagree with so I never see them again.

I'm still here because of monitoring the cruise news on multiple sites, but the discussions are better over there.

Edited by dada2199cc

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Removing your gratuities is countered by charging those that auto tip a little bit more. 

100% correct.  Cruise lines have to make up any shortage after the DSC is applied to the guaranteed minimum.  If they are having to continually make up this shortage, of course they are going to increase the DSC.  

Also, the past employees on the NCL board have said that if you give cash to a crew member, they have to turn it in and its used as crew incentives.  

Edited by Liljo22

10 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

So why is post here?  He does mention Royal in the post.  If i misunderstood sorry. 

Because the OP is assuming because NCL has increased that Royal will follow behind with another increase soon.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liljo22 said:

Because the OP is assuming because NCL has increased that Royal will follow behind with another increase soon.  

yep that is the problem. once one cruise lines does something, other cruise will do the same thing eventfully. Both NCL and Princess did price increasing recently. who is next? Royal?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

yep that is the problem. once one cruise lines does something, other cruise will do the same thing eventfully. Both NCL and Princess did price increasing recently. who is next? Royal?

The thing is Royal just raised gratuities effective September 7th.  Imho too soon for another increase. 

• Like 1

Its a sign of the times that the stealth tax, sorry ment gratuities, are going.up. The cost of living is going up every where. However, its unfair putting up the stealth tax, sorry graturities just to keep the initial base costs down to get the customer on the hook to start with. 

I also love how all the "experts" know exactly how the stealth tax, sorry graturities,is divided by the crew. 

Also how much money is the crew charged for board and lodgings on the ship? 

Its a diverse subject that some will accept as part of their culture and some find it totally wrong. Its a personal choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I also love how all the "experts" know exactly how the stealth tax, sorry graturities,is divided by the crew. 

It's been shared officially by every major cruiseline customer service department at some point, or by employees themselves.

• Haha 1

My cruise vacation, or any vacation of that matter, is made up of many pieces, and in the case of the cruise, it is the cost of gas to port, parking, tolls, hotel night, cruise price, tax, port fees, tips, extra tips, upcharge for a specialty night, drinks, etc.  It is a total price.  Not a piece of total.  I prepay as much as I can in one big package.  

Just about everything I listed went up in price.  There are ways to save and still enjoy a trip.  But sometimes we like to complain instead of making a sacrifice.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

My cruise vacation, or any vacation of that matter, is made up of many pieces, and in the case of the cruise, it is the cost of gas to port, parking, tolls, hotel night, cruise price, tax, port fees, tips, extra tips, upcharge for a specialty night, drinks, etc.  It is a total price.  Not a piece of total.  I prepay as much as I can in one big package.  

Just about everything I listed went up in price.  There are ways to save and still enjoy a trip.  But sometimes we like to complain instead of making a sacrifice.  

You add up all of the above and ask yourself, "Is the experience worth the expense?" If you decide it is not, no go. If it is worth it, you pay.

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

So you would be ok with the same increase across the board for all cruise fares, then. 

People wouldn't complain nearly as much if their cruise fare was a few dollars per day more than they would if gratuities went up a few dollars per day

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

So you would be ok with the same increase across the board for all cruise fares, then. 

If the gratuities were part of the cruise fare then everyone would be paying, and that sounds fair. Crew would still pool all the added 18% that seems to be charged for everything. Have not heard of anyone trying to have the grats removed from the weekly bar tab. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

People wouldn't complain nearly as much if their cruise fare was a few dollars per day more than they would if gratuities went up a few dollars per day

Very interesting observation as I was contemplating the same thing in interacting with gratuity associated services. What I think you are saying is let the price reflect the true cost of product, services, and profit necessary to continue business without placing an expectation on the customer to pay more beyond the advertised price?

This could apply to so many more products than cruises. 🙂

7 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

All cruise lines pay their crew the same way, it is regulated by international convention. There is a guarantee minimum that must be paid per

month, regardless of gratuity or service charges. The current minimum is $1200 USD per month, which is very suitable considering the economic climate most of the workers come from. 

FWIW--my son is in Basic Combat Training for the Army.  He is being paid $1400 per month.  He also gets his room and board  included.  Just thought is was ironic the minimum for a cruise line crew member is just about what a US Army member makes.

As for the increase in tips per day, if you are against it, pay in cash to who ever you want.  Tipping is personal and so is everyone's experience. Personally, I rarely (even on vacation) have cash, so I pay for the tips prior to getting on the ship.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2