Viking more expensive than Oceania?

oskidunker

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Despite all the advertising in the UK the percentage of UK passengers seems very low.

There were only about 20 on our Viking cruise.  On Azamara we had 49%.  I don't think Viking are very interested in us.  Their audience is from North America so naturally everything is geared towards them. 

I do think it rather strange that their Piano and violin duo in The Atrium was often playing to a single figure audience but Viking seem to think that gives an "high or upper class" feeling to the ship.  I felt rather sorry for the girls who appeared as disinterested as those few in the room.  When the bar got a little livelier and louder they were completely ignored.  When they finished a couple of people did clap but with very little enthusiasm. 

They allways do the same set, regardless of ship. Nearly everyone will have heard it on several cruises. For most they, along with the guitar and pianist are hotel type background musicians rather than a performance

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Despite all the advertising in the UK the percentage of UK passengers seems very low.

There were only about 20 on our Viking cruise.  On Azamara we had 49%.  I don't think Viking are very interested in us.  Their audience is from North America so naturally everything is geared towards them. 

I do think it rather strange that their Piano and violin duo in The Atrium was often playing to a single figure audience but Viking seem to think that gives an "high or upper class" feeling to the ship.  I felt rather sorry for the girls who appeared as disinterested as those few in the room.  When the bar got a little livelier and louder they were completely ignored.  When they finished a couple of people did clap but with very little enthusiasm. 

We have had good times on Viking and met some lovely people,  but there did seem to be a lot of underwhelmed guests onboard.  The crossover from River Cruising is obviously a good source of new clients but many seemed completely unaware of the essential differences between River and Ocean.

I agree with your observations about UK passengers, around 5% on average in our experience. We find the music in the Explorer lounge to be a bit more lively for a pre dinner drink. We love the nordic spa and enjoy the "bathing ritual" most days. Viking works for us

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 11:07 AM, FetaCheese said:

Viking's Loyalty program is real simple:

$200 p.p. fare discount on next booking if booked within 1 year of last cruise.

$100 p.p. fare discount on next booking if booked within 2 years of last cruise.

(Not sure if last cruise is embark or disembark date)

now anyone who sailed on Viking can get $100 loyalty discount.  It's nice.

I think Viking is a little more expensive than Oceania.  But it's hard to say, as I don't know how to quantify in dollars what Viking's free wine and beer at dinner, use of spa, and free excursions are worth.  But if you don't drink (or don't drink wine or beer), aren't a big spa user, or don't take many short, free excursions, I think you may find Viking is more expensive.  And if you are big on port visits, not sea days, you may find that you get more for your money on Oceania, as they tend to spend more days in ports than most cruise lines. But I love both lines, and pick a cruise mostly by itinerary, which seems to work well for me.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

Both cruise lines do a good cruise.  In December, we booked 2 cruises…one on Oceania, other on Viking.  We compared cruises on both lines.  Our choice for Caribbean was Oceania. Don’t want tours. Our choice for a European cruise was Viking.  With promo code, price was better on Viking. Another deciding factor is climate. Oceania doesn’t have indoor pool. Viking has indoor pool.