If upgrade bid accepted, how will that impact the service charge which has been prepaid to avoid service charge increase?

azalea4va

I have bid on an upgrade to a haven suite for a Jan NCL sailing.  I have prepaid my service charge to avoid service charge increases. The amount at the time was $31 for a couple per day.  Because of the announced rate increase, if paid after Dec 31, the service charge on a haven suite will be $50 per couple per day.

The NCL Terms and the NCL FAQ do not address this issue.  They do not even mention what happens with the service charge if one is upgraded from a "regular:" stateroom to a haven absent any change in the rate structure for service charges.  How much more will I pay if I am notified of an upgrade after Jan 1?  I see three possible scenarios.

1. $0 added charge. I have prepaid the service charge and the amount I have to pay does not change.

2. $90 added charge. The haven rate at the time I prepaid was $37/couple/day so I have to pay an increase of $6/day.

3. $285 added charge.  I will charged the difference between $50 and $31 per day, or an additional $19 per day.

Since nothing in their terms says one is responsible for increases in service charges with an upgrade, I would think scaneario #1 is both the moral appropriate and the legal required scenario that applies.  But ... 

• Like 1

When I upgraded from a Club Balcony to a Penthouse Suite, I was charged the difference between the suite rate of Daily Service Charge and the Club Balcony DSC, even though I had already prepaid my DSC.  I can see where they will probably charge you the difference between the Haven DSC rate and your prepaid DSC on your existing cabin, at the time of the upgrade.  Your scenario 1 won't happen just because you prepaid your DSC.  I believe the most possible scenario will be #3.  I would plan on that, anyway, and if you end up with #2 then you have some extra play money.

Sounds like a lot of people have experience in not being charged anything extra.  If you were to be charged, it would not be at the new rate.  It's the date that you booked your cruise that determines what rate you fall under, provided you pre-pay the DSC.  You don't have to pay it before January first.  You just have to book the cruise by January first and pay before sailing .  So you won't have to worry about option 3

Edited by dbrown84