Bogg Bags -- is this a fashion & beauty topic?

Mum2Mercury

I saw a number of people carrying Bogg Bags on our recent cruise.  Does anyone here have experience with them?  Specific things I'm wondering: 

- They look like they'd be an ideal beach bag -- but would they also work well for a carry-on for embarkation day?  

- Would the handles fall off, if I used them to carry on a couple bottles of wine and a handful of sodas?  In other words, can they handle something heavier than towels and sunscreen? 

- Are the knock-offs any good?  

- What accessories do you have for yours?  I'm a bit of an organization freak and can really geek-out over such things.

- Do they last? 

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I saw a number of people carrying Bogg Bags on our recent cruise.  Does anyone here have experience with them?  Specific things I'm wondering: 

- They look like they'd be an ideal beach bag -- but would they also work well for a carry-on for embarkation day?  

- Would the handles fall off, if I used them to carry on a couple bottles of wine and a handful of sodas?  In other words, can they handle something heavier than towels and sunscreen? 

- Are the knock-offs any good?  

- What accessories do you have for yours?  I'm a bit of an organization freak and can really geek-out over such things.

- Do they last? 

Don't know about these but DON'T get a Baggu bag----they look cool but they don't hold a whole lot & they are heavy --- I think they're canvas.

They don't appeal to me. They look too rigid -- surely not packable?

I always carry one of these with me when traveling, they are good for everything from a trip to the beach to a trip to the market:

https://loqi.com/

I like their arty prints (frequently updated with new patterns) and I can pack four of them in a shoe. 

(Just kidding, couldn't resist -- but probably actually true if we're talking a sturdy walking shoe for my size 9.5 feet.....)

• Haha 4

I just looked to see what a Bogg bag is.  $90 for a plastic tote bag at Dillard's.  Uh huh.  I'm an organization geek as well, but I'd rather carry a plastic bag from CVS.

Edited by jsn55
yjfkrm
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I always carry one of these with me when traveling, they are good for everything from a trip to the beach to a trip to the market:

I like their arty prints (frequently updated with new patterns)

I am liking this site! I would like and use the set of three zipper bags. Looking at some of the large regular shoppers for my more artsy relatives... It's a little late for these holidays, though.

• Like 2

Seems like they would be a good bag if you had a beach cart to carry it. They look heavy, stiff, and not suitcase packable. We honestly just use a backpack when its just hubby and me. Might not be the cutest option, but it works and you can keep your hands free. Plus, lots of pockets for organizing.

We also have a Kyss bag that is a large tote size, and comes with a chain lock. We haven't used it much, but our next warm weather cruise is with all 3 kids, so we will likely use it then. SHOP BAGS | Kyss Bags

37 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Seems like they would be a good bag if you had a beach cart to carry it. They look heavy, stiff, and not suitcase packable. We honestly just use a backpack when its just hubby and me. Might not be the cutest option, but it works and you can keep your hands free. Plus, lots of pockets for organizing.

We also have a Kyss bag that is a large tote size, and comes with a chain lock. We haven't used it much, but our next warm weather cruise is with all 3 kids, so we will likely use it then. SHOP BAGS | Kyss Bags

Too right!  I don't know what we'd do without our Rick Steves backpack ... weightless, very well made, super convenient to use as a backpack, hooked on to a rollaboard or handheld.  It's probably been on a hundred trips.

I had to google them and they look like if Crocs did tote bags basically? Not my thing but no judgment, I am clueless about what's fashionable so they may be very stylish at the moment. They do look like they'd take up a lot of space in your luggage, though.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pookel said:

I had to google them and they look like if Crocs did tote bags basically? Not my thing but no judgment, I am clueless about what's fashionable so they may be very stylish at the moment. They do look like they'd take up a lot of space in your luggage, though.

Agree with all three points! If you didn't make it your "personal item" flying, you would have to pack it entirely full (perhaps of socks and undies?) then pack the Bogg entirely within a larger suitcase. I have packed other things that way! Like a big rice-paddy hat from Vietnam... 

10 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Nah, they'd be easy-peasy to pack:  Fill them with carefully folded clothes and put them on the bottom of a suitcase -- it'd be like a packing cube.  I am an excellent packer and can fit SO MUCH into a suitcase.

I've thought about a Kyss bag.  

I've about talked myself out of the Boggs Bag because they don't have a smaller one.  

9 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Too right!  I don't know what we'd do without our Rick Steves backpack ... weightless, very well made, super convenient to use as a backpack, hooked on to a rollaboard or handheld.  It's probably been on a hundred trips.

I have two good backpacks -- the one I bring on cruises now is an Osprey Day Lite, which is on the small size.  Excellent pack.  I'm just looking for something a little different.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I adore Bogg bags.  I have a large one I use for beach trips I drive to & for my son's baseball games.  I love that I can spray out sand/dirt/clay.  They come with see through pockets that snap onto the holes in the bag.  I have flown a few with them, as my personal item.  I just snap multiple pockets into the bag and store all of my loose items in them, so when I lay it flat under the seat or into the screening basket nothing falls out.  Then I add a packing cube to the middle with whatever items I want with me.  My mom bought the simply southern version and it does not compare IMO.  All this being said, when I flew with my broken in bag I had no trouble.  Our most recent trip to DR I used my brand new one and one of the straps kept falling off my shoulder at the airport, and it irritated me enough to consider just doing a backpack the next go round and my packable beach bag for the pool/beach. Yes, they are sturdy.  I weigh mine down with entirely too much stuff in my daily life, a couple bottles of wine would be no problem. Whatever you do, don't buy them from Amazon, the price is usually double.  They are a little pricey, but one of the things I find worth the price as my first one is still going strong after almost 3 years.  I'm not sure they are the most fashionable things I have ever loved, but I really do love them anyway lol. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, cruisemom42 said:

They don't appeal to me. They look too rigid -- surely not packable?

I like their arty prints (frequently updated with new patterns) and I can pack four of them in a shoe. 

(Just kidding, couldn't resist -- but probably actually true if we're talking a sturdy walking shoe for my size 9.5 feet.....)

These look really great. I could use them locally for the store and then put one in my suitcase when I travel.

• 9 months later...

I haven’t used a Borg bag, but it looks really cool. It’s suitable for taking to the beach or traveling because you don’t have to worry about getting it dirty. It’s washable which is really convenient, but it doesn’t look like it can hold a lot of things, so I’m a little bit Worry about this issue.