Pride dry dock wishlist

JimmyTheSaint

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

This decor is not consistent with my personal taste in design, but maybe that was cool back in 2001...

CARNIVAL-PRIDE-33-1030x772.jpg

The Farcus theme for Carnival Pride's  design was The Renaissance.  It was a lot more apparent throughout the ship before many of the spaces were changed out over the years 2.0 "upgrade", covering over a lot of nude art in elevators and other areas - Anybody remember "The Lady With Short Fingers", (as a CC cruise buddy called her) on the wall outside of Beauties? 

ETA:

I think it was Venus of Urbino, if not, it was aimage.jpeg.85e9bbfb0366fd1e33595ee98f57e2e1.jpeg similar work, much larger than life.

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Yeah, but they put a fig leaf on him several years ago.

Maybe they commented on the fig leaf. All I remember is that I had to listen to so many comments throughout our Europe trip about the naked statues.  And in one instance (I think maybe at Hever Castle), the penis had fallen off of the statue and that was talked about for at least the next two days.  

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

April/May 2023.  Last debark is April 26th on the TA over there.  The first post-dry dock sailing is (hopefully) on May 28th, 2023.  So, I guess the dry dock is a month long.

I have heard nothing official from Heald.  Everything I have heard has just been speculation as to what they are doing. It at least needs paint and a deep cleaning.

Thanks! A month is ample time to do quite a bit, certainly more than a paint job!

Just looked it up, officially, it seems the Farcus design was "Icons of Beauty".  But it sure was Renaissance-heavy.

A blast from the past article about Pride when it was new:

https://nypost.com/2002/03/26/the-prides-a-joy-good-nudes-carnivals-new-ship-is-awash-in-revealing-art/

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

The Farcus theme for Carnival Pride's  design was The Renaissance.  It was a lot more apparent throughout the ship before many of the spaces were changed out over the years 2.0 "upgrade", covering over a lot of nude art in elevators and other areas - Anybody remember "The Lady With Short Fingers", (as a CC cruise buddy called her) on the wall outside of Beauties? 

ETA:

I think it was Venus of Urbino, if not, it was aimage.jpeg.85e9bbfb0366fd1e33595ee98f57e2e1.jpeg similar work, much larger than life.

I missed that one.  Not sure if it was still there or not.  The Alchemy was in a newer design, I recall that because it was a bit at odds with the rest of the ship.    

12 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I missed that one.  Not sure if it was still there or not.  The Alchemy was in a newer design, I recall that because it was a bit at odds with the rest of the ship.    

It's long gone.  I can't remember how many years now.

9 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Speaking of odd... this was on another Spirit class ship (Miracle). So, what's up with the location of the face on this door. Please tell me it's not just me!

i-ZpT6B2Z-XL.jpg

Tom

I've got a comment, but the mods wouldn't appreciate it, so I won't. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

They removed a lot of the art after people began to do nipplectomies on them! :classic_biggrin:

From my very first cruise of 11 on Pride, in 2009, most of those nipples in the elevators were scratched-out white.  It seems they tried to touch them up intermittently over the years (I remember something like nail polish on some of them), only for them to be scratched back off.🙄  Then there was the great Elevator Art Cover-Up Scandal of (2019?), when it all apparently went behind wood paneling.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

@ShakyBeef  🤣🤣🤣 I busted out laughing when I saw that picture.  I definitely would have noticed that had it been there...and I am sure my kids would have pointed it out, too. 

On our first Pride cruise in 2009, we were walking past this picture as we did each night on our way to the MDR for dinner when my oldest DD, then seven, said "Mommy, what's that lady doing?"  I said, "She's just resting" and kept on walking.😳🤣   Years after that, even my DDs came to call her The Lady With The Short Fingers, thanks to our CC buddy.😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

From my very first cruise of 11 on Pride, in 2009, most of those nipples in the elevators were scratched-out white.  It seems they tried to touch them up intermittently over the years (I remember something like nail polish on some of them), only for them to be scratched back off.🙄  Then there was the great Elevator Art Cover-Up Scandal of (2019?), when it all apparently went behind wood paneling.

This type of situation is probably more commonly associated with cruise lines frequented by travelers from the US and/or leaving from the US.

Tom

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

This type of situation is probably more commonly associated with cruise lines frequented by travelers from the US and/or leaving from the US.

Tom

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude.  And I had already exposed (no pun intended) my children to classical art.  They were not freaked out or even made giggly by the multitudinous nudes about the ship.  They were quite familiar with David already as well as many of the other works that were reproduced on Pride.  It was just the placement of her hand that my DD was wondering about.🤣 

OOPS!  I thought you were quoting my other post.  So, although my reply doesn't make sense in reference to your post, I'm gonna leave it here to add to the conversation.

Sorry about that.🤭

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

This decor is not consistent with my personal taste in design, but maybe that was cool back in 2001...

CARNIVAL-PRIDE-33-1030x772.jpg

For comparison here's a photo of the Celebrity Millennium's MDR from 2000 which debuted one year earlier in 2000.

11_58_pub_553_MetroRest_320.jpg?auto=for

Edited by kwokpot

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

😁Found It!

Actual photo of actual (once-upon-a-time) wall art outside of the entrance to Beauties:

image.png.5e23008c2d031d481006a87e21f75903.png

POR- N-UTS 😏😎

I love all this art talk but my wish for the Pride is that the May 28. 2023 sailing would be listed in the port schedules at each port.  It is the first sailing after dry dock and although Carnival and John Heald assures us it is still going we would feel better and book more excursions if the ports listed it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Here is a non-rendering photo

Xdiningroom.jpg

Here's a great website that detailed all the changes to the Millenium:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/celebrity-millennium-renovation/

As it pertains to this thread the point of it was that even at it's debut the stylistic choices of Carnival Farcus interiors where not mainstream in taste but purposely provocative to be different and 'Fun'. Whatsmore the money spend by Celebrity in their Revolution renovations are similar in scope to what Carnival did with their Sunshining program. It remains to be seen to what extent Carnival, post pandemic with cash problems, renovates the Spirit Class. I venture to guess it's not going to be like the Sunshine renovation projects.