LIVE: Ruby Princess Dec 18-29 Western Caribbean/Mexico

ceilidh1

Today’s first mission was to walk on the beach. It seemed an easy stroll from the hotel but we didn’t factor in how hard it would be to cross the street! The closest set of lights were not a crosswalk, just lights for traffic, so we walked further down to the actual crosswalk. Unfortunately, while the lights themselves worked, the actual walk sign didn’t so we had to literally guess if/ when we could cross! The beach is sooooo long! It seemed to go on forever. It was pretty windy but very pleasant temperature wise. What we didn’t expect was mosquitoes. My poor teen got eaten alive and has quite a bad reaction, so next stop after braving the road again, was Walgreens to grab bug spray and Cortizone.

98C7D443-B7E8-4953-967D-8B401EA2F2CC.jpeg

E7C7ABE6-8AB2-4532-90DC-243F08A96B00.jpeg

9C918CC7-CF25-430C-AE56-DF04547E8FD4.jpeg

7D53549C-05BB-40B9-A6DC-A5D73D2525BD.jpeg

977FB453-8D92-49B7-BDA8-E5FDC696256A.jpeg

1E76F28C-765B-4F1D-88D6-3FFFD76C565A.jpeg

• Like 3

After dropping off our Walgreens purchases at the hotel, we ordered an Uber and headed for the Strand. Such a beautiful area with lovely architecture and cobbled streets. We browsed the shops and picked up some souvenirs. I was outvoted on the lunch stop - I wanted to do Katie’s as so many people had recommended it but no one wanted seafood. Instead the kids insisted on the Shark Shack. I wasn’t expecting much but was pleasantly surprised! I got a really good pineapple margarita, fish tacos, kids each had burgers, and friend had a huge salad. Total bill for all of us was just over $80 and it was all delicious! 

312B5D51-EFF9-497F-A982-15AC11B7DEE4.jpeg

47403297-0619-4455-90A2-DC425A9BFE40.jpeg

C5F25FF4-90B5-4C20-B4BE-D9E67A392C6A.jpeg

FE8E3967-0414-4A9B-9288-5E095DD0EB85.jpeg

44FE3201-3AAD-48C8-A65F-04AF147E4B21.jpeg

• Like 8

After lunch we walked some more, bought peanut butter at The Peanut Butter Warehouse and ice cream at Hey Mikey’s. Then we decided to hop on the trolley to the Seawall. This was where things went sideways. We waited, and waited, and waited but no trolley ever came. In the end we just ordered Uber and headed back to the hotel. Our Uber driver was a little grouchy and scolded us for not ordering a bigger car - huh? There are four of us and we ordered an Uber XL that fits four? That’s what I always do back home but maybe Texas does things differently? Anyways, I told her that I would cancel and just reorder and I think she realized that she would be the one losing out so she said she would “take us this one time”…hmmm. We are back at the hotel now and exhausted, still full from lunch, and awaiting the arrival of our other friends who got into IAH this evening.

B7FDD412-9B54-45E0-AF94-0779210F1B27.jpeg

04D4D2E6-C17A-4720-B93C-F64ADC517678.jpeg

6CF8B796-A0FC-4E3D-A03E-B513F6A1DBC0.jpeg

• Like 6

@ceilidh1 So very happy to see your posts again.  I enjoyed your Alaska journey this summer.  No daughter tag-a-long on this cruise?

I am not sure how Princess is going to survive this port.  Your challenges from the airport to the port are frustrating.  I guess they are hoping everyone flies in and takes their transfers.  

Enjoy your Christmas cruise.  I know you will have fun in the sun.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@ceilidh1 So very happy to see your posts again.  I enjoyed your Alaska journey this summer.  No daughter tag-a-long on this cruise?

I am not sure how Princess is going to survive this port.  Your challenges from the airport to the port are frustrating.  I guess they are hoping everyone flies in and takes their transfers.  

The teen does have a BFF sailing on this one but this is a friend we met on a cruise and the whole family is sailing, so no worries there!

We were just saying today that sailing from Galveston is definitely a chore! For what it cost to fly in, take transfers to and from IAH, stay at a hotel (no way could you manage same day at this port), pay Uber to get around (walking really isn’t an option) we could easily have taken another one week cruise! It’s interesting to see Texas and Galveston but I don’t think i would cruise from here again any time soon.

• Like 4

@ceilidh1 saw your name and wanted to jump on board. 

Sorry you have been going through personal crap but glad you are able to leave it all behind and the 3 of you could get away. Your kids are troopers with the trek you all had to get there. I’m sure what you did was far better then waking them up in the middle of the night. 

Looking forward to your trip. 

• Like 1

following along!  Hope you all have a great cruise....only sailed out of Galveston once..and we drove from San Antonio day of....Maya Chan was very nice...water a bit murky but service...food and drink were outstanding...plus they had a resident kitty that visited with us!  Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Maybe that's why they are doing seasonal sailing for a couple of years. CCL and RCL hasn't had a problem filling their ships with each now sailing 3 out of the port. You are right about travel from IAH through Houston to get to the island. I always suggest for people to fly into HOU  (Hobby). It's on the southside of Houston making it closer to the island. That being said, the Gulf Freeway has been an ongoing project since the late 60's, and we always expect a slowdown somewhere. Luckily for us it's an 1 1/2 hour drive using the backroads.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Today’s first mission was to walk on the beach. It seemed an easy stroll from the hotel but we didn’t factor in how hard it would be to cross the street! The closest set of lights were not a crosswalk, just lights for traffic, so we walked further down to the actual crosswalk. Unfortunately, while the lights themselves worked, the actual walk sign didn’t so we had to literally guess if/ when we could cross! The beach is sooooo long! It seemed to go on forever. It was pretty windy but very pleasant temperature wise. What we didn’t expect was mosquitoes. My poor teen got eaten alive and has quite a bad reaction, so next stop after braving the road again, was Walgreens to grab bug spray and Cortizone.

98C7D443-B7E8-4953-967D-8B401EA2F2CC.jpeg

E7C7ABE6-8AB2-4532-90DC-243F08A96B00.jpeg

9C918CC7-CF25-430C-AE56-DF04547E8FD4.jpeg

7D53549C-05BB-40B9-A6DC-A5D73D2525BD.jpeg

977FB453-8D92-49B7-BDA8-E5FDC696256A.jpeg

1E76F28C-765B-4F1D-88D6-3FFFD76C565A.jpeg

Glad y'all had a good day. I bet you walked through a grassy area on the way to the beach and stirred up the skeeters. Yes, we have them year around down here, not as big as Alaska, but meaner. Enjoy your Saturday.

The Ruby is 360 NM SSE of GLS @ 20 KN. She's on track for a pre-dawn arrival tomorrow. You can watch her arrival by going to www.galveston.com, go to webcams, and pick cruise cam, marina cam, or emerald cam. I would do those in reverse order. Judging from the pictures out your room, you might can see her entering the shipping lanes in the morning. You can check marinetraffic.com or vesselfinder.com for her location.

• Like 3

Our friends from Prince George made it here safely but arrived to downpours at IAH and their drive to Galveston was very wet and windy. They had the same car service and driver as us and also found her to be excellent! Like us, they made a stop at Buc-ees and spent far too much money on items with a beaver picture (given that we are from Canada I find that quite ironic). 

After our return to the hotel last night we couldn’t summon the energy to go back out so we ordered pizza with Uber eats and enjoyed a few beers.

13192DDD-1F3B-4FDD-B484-B6F9841CD4A7.jpeg

DD83DC62-222C-463E-844D-FF974774BE22.jpeg

CCC18082-1BDE-437E-8F25-14A7F9FF8FA6.jpeg

8549BA6F-684D-4F79-830F-0ED5CD42C34D.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, egregious cruiser said:

I am currently on the ship and will be on next cruise. If you have a specific question I will research it for you.  
Going from half full to full, will change everything.  
The internet has been excellent. You may have to change some SETTINGS on your phone.  

AADA4C9A-7729-4935-91B9-0C138B3CD0FC.jpeg

2E28CC00-E4BF-4D0F-9980-CD6B3E371E2A.png

Hoping for no delays tomorrow! Weather in Galveston is cold and windy right now!

• Like 1

Impressions of Galveston: It’s an interesting place and has some great history and architecture. I’m not used to being anywhere that isn’t walkable so that’s a new experience for me. Our hotel is at the very far end of the island and has no restaurant or bar so even to go get lunch it’s an Uber ride. All those $12 fares start to add up! This morning we headed to target to pick up some last minute bits and pieces  and then came back to the hotel to finish up the rest of our food we had bought. The weather got a little chillier so waiting to see if it clears up - if so we will head back out to the pleasure pier and have dinner somewhere in that area. Knowing what I know now, if I ever sailed from here again I would only stay one night pre cruise and would choose a hotel that is closer to restaurants etc or at least had its own restaurant!

• Like 3

Cruise leaving tomorrow is “FULL”. 
There are about 25 empty cabins, but many cabins sold with more than 2 people, due to pull down bunks, sleeper sofas, etc.  

Preliminary figures………

1625 blue button cruisers. (Never cruised on Princess.)
Only 225 Elite black button cruisers.  

Cutoff for MTG party is 350 days on Princess cruises. 
Do not repeat these estimates. 

53860F05-7DC5-41BB-AF3F-2555B78A84D5.jpeg

Edited by egregious cruiser
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, egregious cruiser said:

There are about 25 empty cabins, but many cabins sold with more than 2 people, due to pull down bunks, sleeper sofas, etc.  

Preliminary figures………

Wow! That’s a lot of new cruisers! I’m surprised there are so many on an 11 day sailing! I’ve done several cruises since Covid but none over 60% capacity. It’s going to be strange with so many people again!

1 hour ago, egregious cruiser said:

Preliminary figures………

Do not repeat these estimates. 

I would not pay much attention to the button color est. Princess us still trying to figure it out after a major glitch with the "app" that set up new captain circle numbers for many. I am thinking boarding tomorrow will be quite the event....

9 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

I would not pay much attention to the button color est. Princess us still trying to figure it out after a major glitch with the "app" that set up new captain circle numbers for many. I am thinking boarding tomorrow will be quite the event....

As Peyton would say, "You have no idea"

Since you are currently on the ship...I have a question about Princess Plus...it includes drinks "up to" $15. 

If you buy a premium drink >$15, do you pay the full amount for the drink over $15? or the difference above $15? 

Sorry if this has been asked before. 

Plus includes drinks up to $12.  More than $12 you just pay the difference.  I been on the Ruby for the past 15 days and only ordered two glasses of wine that were over $12. Currently we’re sailing into 26 knot head wind.  Looking forward to picking everyone up and turning around 

26 minutes ago, Jeff_R said:

Since you are currently on the ship...I have a question about Princess Plus...it includes drinks "up to" $15. 

If you buy a premium drink >$15, do you pay the full amount for the drink over $15? or the difference above $15? 

Sorry if this has been asked before. 

You pay the difference, plus 18% (service charge) of the difference.