Has anyone done the”Exploring Chilean Fjords” on Le Lyrial?

San999

We are on this cruise and wondered if expedition type jackets are provided by Ponant and in any event, if we will really need them. Has anyone been on this cruise?  If so, what’s the weather like by the time you get to the northern most part of the cruise?  I am assuming layers will be essential, but wanted to confirm. Thanks and love cruise critic boards and posters. Always very helpful 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, San999 said:

We are on this cruise and wondered if expedition type jackets are provided by Ponant and in any event, if we will really need them. Has anyone been on this cruise?  If so, what’s the weather like by the time you get to the northern most part of the cruise?  I am assuming layers will be essential, but wanted to confirm. Thanks and love cruise critic boards and posters. Always very helpful 

That looks like a nice cruse. I hope you'll report back on how it goes!

This is a "Polar Expedition" and If you look under the "Baggage" tab on the cruise, you'll find this text, that I think confirms a parka:

https://us.ponant.com/south-america-exploring-the-chilean-fjords-ly030323-12

• A PONANT polar water-resistant parka is offered on board for all departures with an expedition programme (no children sizes, in case of consecutive cruises, only one complimentary parka).
  • Thanks 1

I did the Chilean Fjords many years ago now (not with Ponant). The weather is very variable. It can be freezing close to a glacier, very warm in places, and very chilly from the wind in others. Layers is key - if you're out on the zodiacs in windy weather, you'll be glad of the parka.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, parischris said:

I did the Chilean Fjords many years ago now (not with Ponant). The weather is very variable. It can be freezing close to a glacier, very warm in places, and very chilly from the wind in others. Layers is key - if you're out on the zodiacs in windy weather, you'll be glad of the parka.

Did you do it with Australis?  We are taking a package with Odysseys-Unlimited that includes the 4-night cruise from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas in January.

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Did you do it with Australis?  We are taking a package with Odysseys-Unlimited that includes the 4-night cruise from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas in January.

I've done it twice actually - 1st time with Hurtigruten when they were bringing their ferries down from the northern hemisphere - the old Nordkapp, and the second with Cruceros Australis on the old Mare Australis.  Thinking about doing it again with Ponant in 2027 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Miguelado said:

For Jazzbeau - what is your boarding date for the Stella Australis with Odysseys Unlimited?  We are on the 1/23 sailing with Odysseys.  Also doing the pre-extension to Iguazu Falls.  Perhaps we are on the same tour.

We're on the tour after you: we board Stella Australis on 1/31.  I really like this package, as it includes everything we wanted to do in this area:  Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, the cruise through the Chilean Fjords, Torres del Paine, and Santiago.  We were booked on a Noble Caledonia cruise that covered this same itinerary, but because it was a cruise from B-A all the way to Santiago it would have taken much longer.  [They cancelled it, and we were able to get in the O-U group.]

• Like 2