No beach bags

tgg

13 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Maybe I’ll just bring one from home!

I’m going on my first Azamara voyage in January but I could bring one of my old beach bags too. Is one that says “Celebrity” considered in bad taste? 🤔

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chot50s said:

I’m going on my first Azamara voyage in January but I could bring one of my old beach bags too. Is one that says “Celebrity” considered in bad taste? 🤔

Actually we deliberately bring bags with a different logo on trips.  If everybody's bag has the same logo, how do you make sure you have picked up yours?  [Or worse, vice versa...]

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, tgg said:

As the original poster, I never implied that the cruise was ruined by a missing beach bag. This is a Caribbean cruise and lots of people will be going to the beach. They'll take towels, sunblock, water, and whatever else they might need. A bag would be nice to have, especially if you expect it to be provided. 

I wasn't reacting to your post, but to the ones just before mine.  I understand why a beach bag is useful, but passengers didn't "pa[y] for it."  And I vehemently disagree that "if they cannot provide it it should be replaced with something useful e.g extra OBC."

And to the poster who said: "If I choose, and pay for, an all inclusive experience I expect to get it." – you didn't choose, or pay for, an all inclusive experience.  Azamara has never promoted themselves as all-inclusive.  If that's the experience you want, you should be booking on Seabourn [unless you read their CC Board and see what their customers are saying lately...]

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tgg said:

As the original poster, I never implied that the cruise was ruined by a missing beach bag. This is a Caribbean cruise and lots of people will be going to the beach. They'll take towels, sunblock, water, and whatever else they might need. A bag would be nice to have, especially if you expect it to be provided. 

The key phrase is "if you expect it to be provided."  If it's a supply chain problem, tell people, don't just ignore.  Show that you understand that people will notice something's missing.

Yesterday I was expecting a coffee/tea cart outside our CC suite sometime mid-afternoon.  Nothing.  Then I expected a canapes plate late afternoon.  Nothing.  I called the butler's number and was told no more cart and you have to request your canapes plate.  Why weren't we told?  No one likes takeaways...especially without explanations.  That's simply human nature.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually we deliberately bring bags with a different logo on trips.  If everybody's bag has the same logo, how do you make sure you have picked up yours?  [Or worse, vice versa...]

That’s a very good point! Celebrity it is.

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I always take a bag from a different supermarket when I go shopping. I want them to know that I have choices! 😁

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, tgg said:

I didn’t get that implication from your post, nor from any other posts on this thread, but it’s clear that others did.  I happen to agree with you about the utility of the bag and with airline luggage size and weight limits being what they are, would rather save that precious space for other things and not have to pack one myself.

Also, why would anyone not expect something that’s specifically advertised as a feature of the class of cabin they paid for?  If any of these features, subjectively mundane or not, are materially different or unavailable, it’s just good customer service to own up to them and offer a token in exchange for the shortfall without having to make a phone call to guest relations.

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

The key phrase is "if you expect it to be provided."  If it's a supply chain problem, tell people, don't just ignore.  Show that you understand that people will notice something's missing.

Yesterday I was expecting a coffee/tea cart outside our CC suite sometime mid-afternoon.  Nothing.  Then I expected a canapes plate late afternoon.  Nothing.  I called the butler's number and was told no more cart and you have to request your canapes plate.  Why weren't we told?  No one likes takeaways...especially without explanations.  That's simply human nature.

Butler should be informing passengers about this, both times we were on Onward with different Butlers, we were informed that Onward is different in respect to afternoon tea and canapés. Would be better though if the information was incorporated into the suite welcome letter.
Apparently Princess had scrapped the tea trolleys and I’m not sure anyone would even produce anything like that these days.

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And to the poster who said: "If I choose, and pay for, an all inclusive experience I expect to get it." – you didn't choose, or pay for, an all inclusive experience.  Azamara has never promoted themselves as all-inclusive.  If that's the experience you want, you should be booking on Seabourn [unless you read their CC Board and see what their customers are saying lately...]

Azamara does advertise things as included which they are not providing, not just tote bags.  They sell ultimate drink packages showing included items and then afterwards passengers find out many of the items are not actually onboard.  I agree with you, Azamara is not providing the experience I expect based on what they have advertised as included; thus, I have 65 days of cruising booked for 2023 -- every single day is on Silversea.

Edited by mchell810

12 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I have 65 days of cruising booked for 2023 -- every single day is on Silversea.

I have my first Silversea cruise booked for January 2024, and reading the Silversea Board is scary!  Very unhappy formerly loyal customers there.

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have my first Silversea cruise booked for January 2024, and reading the Silversea Board is scary!  Very unhappy formerly loyal customers there.

I have seen the same reports; my personal experience with SS leaves me no worries.  Can something happen? Yes, but there are few complaints about the actual onboard experience (except the Wind & I am not traveling on that ship.)  I know I won't need to bring wine onboard and there is no pretense of a tote bag. 

Edited by mchell810

6 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Azamara does advertise things as included which they are not providing, not just tote bags.  They sell ultimate drink packages showing included items and then afterwards passengers find out many of the items are not actually onboard.  I agree with you, Azamara is not providing the experience I expect based on what they have advertised as included; thus, I have 65 days of cruising booked for 2023 -- every single day is on Silversea.

Nothing you mentioned above or on your other post is unreasonable in my opinion.  I completely understood and agree with what you're saying.  I certainly wouldn't want to bring my own wine, champagne, mixers, tote bags, escargot, or whatever on board a cruise ship simply because the cruise line ran out or isn't providing it.  Some might and if they think it's okay, that's fine... but not me.

The question you raised before, "...at what point to you say Azamara is not providing what you've paid for?" kind of hits home for me.  I've never sailed Azamara before and our first cruise is with them in two weeks.  I guess that question will be answered shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mchell810 said:

I'm off on my first AZ cruise next month and intend to buy an Ultimate drinks package. I can live without a beach bag but if I shell out big money for better drinks, then I expect them onboard. If they run out of what they list, I can accept that and be flexible but  I expect a replacement of equal or better quality. Certainly not something inferior or just the included drinks. There is a contractual aspect to this.

• Like 3

Honestly, this thread seems to have taken on a life of its own. We have just been through the most horrendous time with Covid. And so have the crew. Arguing about what we are all due in the cabin that we paid good money for?  For the record, the OP I am sure started it in good faith, but it's been hijacked by a few people. Perspective required. 

Phil 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Honestly, this thread seems to have taken on a life of its own. We have just been through the most horrendous time with Covid. And so have the crew. Arguing about what we are all due in the cabin that we paid good money for?  For the record, the OP I am sure started it in good faith, but it's been hijacked by a few people. Perspective required. 

Phil 

But, when it's a matter of principle...

(I might add that I agree with your sentiments, but I also see that there are others who might not. And isn't it the norm for threads to twist and transform? I am happy to let this ride and see where it goes! Perhaps a poll of some kind might be enlightening, though)

On 12/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, we all know there's a lawyer who loves to report every cruise disaster.  Maybe totebaggate can be his next class action lawsuit!  Come on, folks – if a missing tote bag ruined your cruise there's something wrong with your priorities.

Can you point to where someone said that this “ruined their cruise” please? 

• Haha 2

Taking this thread back to the original post where there were no tote bags on Onward.  We have been on 3 AZ cruises since Nov. 2021 all on Quest.  Have 3 tote bags and 3 key card holders to show for it.  I'm guessing that it's supply chain issues since some ships have them and others don't.  

Also had the ultimate drinks package.  Everything listed on the Ultimate drinks list was available and very good.  We had noticed a decline in the quality of the included wines which is why we upgraded the drinks package and will continue to do so. The specialty cocktails were all excellent and a nice addition.

Someone mentioned the absence of the snack/tea trolley in the afternoon and having to ask.  That's been ongoing since Nov. 21 on the Quest.  We have been informed each time about that.  If someone has not been informed, that's on the butler.  But, it should also be mentioned in the list of amenities.

We will board Onward in January.  It will be interesting to see the differences!

Edited by crzrr

2 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

I doubt it ruin the cruise but most of us use them going to the beach  etc

I, for one, have never used the bag for going to the beach!

I actually found them awkward to use. The handles are a bit too long, or maybe too short, and the shape is difficult to manage. Send me money for postage and you can have all that we have!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, blag said:

I, for one, have never used the bag for going to the beach!

I actually found them awkward to use. The handles are a bit too long, or maybe too short, and the shape is difficult to manage. Send me money for postage and you can have all that we have!

I said I bring my own from home.but have used ships..also leave on ship.

I keep my key card card holder as I used for credit cards.

From the first cruse we did, we have always brought a lightweight backpack for trips off of the ship. It fits very nicely over my husband's shoulders, and he can keep it on when I need to get out something. I don't think we have ever used the totes. We sometimes leave them on the ship when we disembark, sometimes bring them home and give them away.

39 minutes ago, PirateWife said:

From the first cruse we did, we have always brought a lightweight backpack for trips off of the ship. It fits very nicely over my husband's shoulders, and he can keep it on when I need to get out something. I don't think we have ever used the totes. We sometimes leave them on the ship when we disembark, sometimes bring them home and give them away.

Ahhh!

Back packs!

They increase the size of the individual (even the 'smallish' ones), and those not accustomed to wearing them* can, and often do, seriously impinge on the personal space of others because they forget that they have a a 'lump' on their back.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have had to take evasive action from backpacks.

I tried one once. It was a very costly mistake. The souvenir shop had a very profitable day, though!

* in reality even experienced backpackers can cause much inconvenience to others.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DenGNNJ said:

I didn’t get that implication from your post, nor from any other posts on this thread, but it’s clear that others did.  I happen to agree with you about the utility of the bag and with airline luggage size and weight limits being what they are, would rather save that precious space for other things and not have to pack one myself.

Also, why would anyone not expect something that’s specifically advertised as a feature of the class of cabin they paid for?  If any of these features, subjectively mundane or not, are materially different or unavailable, it’s just good customer service to own up to them and offer a token in exchange for the shortfall without having to make a phone call to guest relations.

On the Onward Maiden Voyage, I managed to get my sticky mitts on a fair bit of Perrier-Jouët Champagne, which I enjoyed very much, which was not specifically advertised and definitely NOT in the Ultimate Package. Should I have gone to Guest Relations and insisted on paying a bit extra?? I confess that I did not.😉

• Like 2

Just now, lisiamc said:

On the Onward Maiden Voyage, I managed to get my sticky mitts on a fair bit of Perrier-Jouët Champagne, which I enjoyed very much, which was not specifically advertised and definitely NOT in the Ultimate Package. Should I have gone to Guest Relations and insisted on paying a bit extra?? I confess that I did not.😉

Tut-tut!

• Haha 1