HIA and Spending Credits

Charlene1985

I asked a few months ago and received 25 different answers.  

I am booked on a 10 day cruise in a Vista Suite.  I know I’ll earn 10 cruise credits, plus the 10 bonus suite credits.  We also have HIA which included $200 each for shore excursions, WiFi, Signature Drink Package, and 2 speciality dining.  Our HIA does NOT include crew appreciation.   This package cost us $500 pp for the 10 days.  

My question remains:  How will my onboard spending cruise credits be calculated with the HIA?  I have heard the following:

1) Only money spent above and beyond the HIA will count towards spending credits. 
2) The amount paid towards the HIA will count towards spending credits, as well as any additional spending. 
3) Crew appreciation is included in spending calculations. 
4) Crew appreciation is not included in spending calculations.  
5) The cost of 15 drinks at $11 each day is credit for spending. 
6) The actual cost of your drinks is credited towards your spending. 

If you have recently completed a cruise with HIA, and can tell me how many credits you earned vs what your actual bill was at disembarkation, that would be lovely. 

In 2018, we took a 7 day cruise with an Elite Beverage Package.  Our invoice was around $800 but we earned 7 spending credits which would be $2100 or more in spending.  So the beverage package gave us “credit” towards spending. HAL personnel have given me two different answers regarding the HIA. 

Please only factual answers based on your experience.  

Thanks

Edited by Charlene1985

3 minutes ago, Charlene1985 said:

Thank you.  But does anyone know how the spending bonus is calculated with having HIA?  

I have never understood the spending bonus.  Your best source might be to call the Mariner Society to see if they can tell you.

Just now, oaktreerb said:

Your mariner points in the past have included a suite bonus and a spending bonus.  I don’t think it has changed.  The limit would be on the spending bonus.

Correct. We still get the base number of nights sailed, doubled for a suite. The question is the spending bonus points now that many of us get the Have It All, which increases our cruise fare, vs. getting the beverage package, internet, etc as onboard purchases which feed into the spending bonus Mariner points. 

We are onboard Konsingdam now for a delightful B2B2B between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I asked about this at Guest Services and was told HIA does not contribute to spending bonus points. However our week ending 12/3 had 7 bonus Mariner points even though our onboard spend was roughly $950. The HIA had to contribute or we would have only gotten 3-4 extra days, depending on a round up.

Long term, with HIA being part of cruise fare, I do expect it to be excluded. There could be a transition period where it currently adds significantly to the spending bonus. For someone looking to maximize Mariner points, HIA still looks good for now. If the policy changes, it may make sense to go back to purchasing the pieces separately so they all count. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldbluff said:

Correct. We still get the base number of nights sailed, doubled for a suite. The question is the spending bonus points now that many of us get the Have It All, which increases our cruise fare, vs. getting the beverage package, internet, etc as onboard purchases which feed into the spending bonus Mariner points. 

We are onboard Konsingdam now for a delightful B2B2B between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I asked about this at Guest Services and was told HIA does not contribute to spending bonus points. However our week ending 12/3 had 7 bonus Mariner points even though our onboard spend was roughly $950. The HIA had to contribute or we would have only gotten 3-4 extra days, depending on a round up.

Long term, with HIA being part of cruise fare, I do expect it to be excluded. There could be a transition period where it currently adds significantly to the spending bonus. For someone looking to maximize Mariner points, HIA still looks good for now. If the policy changes, it may make sense to go back to purchasing the pieces separately so they all count. 

Thank you.  This explanation is exactly what I was looking for.  And exactly what my experience was pre COVID.  We earned way more spending points than what we actually spent, including the price tag for our beverage package.  

Just trying to figure out if I’ll earn 3-5 for anticipated $1000-$1500 spending above the HIA or if I’ll walk away with the full 10 spending points.  Looks like for now, I’ll earn the full 10. 

• Like 2

HAL has always been generous when figuring Mariner spending days. We have always received credit for items included in the HIA promo or fare.

For example, on our November 20-30 cruise (in a verandah stateroom) we each had the Surf Wi-Fi, Signature Beverage Package, $200 in Shore Excursion credit, Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind dinners and Crew Appreciation included in our fare. We spent $508 (of which $500 was OBC from HAL and TA) on 2 meals in Canaletto, 1 Pinnacle Grill lunch, unlimited laundry, mini-bar beverages and shops.

We were credited with 10 sailing days, 0 suite days, 10 spend days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your help.  I’m glad you earned the full 10 for the spending despite your actual onboard charges being much lower.   I guess the only thing I can hope for is that 2023 doesn’t change the rules at this point.  I literally just got off the phone with a rep from HAL and was told that they have never heard of suite or spending bonuses.  After being transferred to the Mariner Society department, I gave up after 40 minutes on hold.  

• Haha 1

Our experience is that if we have HIA then we are credited for 1 day for each day of the cruise (for HIA).  Additional spending has no relevance as the maximum 'spending days' is reached with HIA. (You cannot have more 'spend' credits than 'Sailing Day' credits.

12 day with HIA in a suite = 12 +12 +12 = 36 days credited.

12 days in Verandah (non suite) and HIA purchased as an add on = 12 + 12 = 24 days.

14 days in Verandah (non suite) with HIA included in cruise price = 14 + 14 = 28 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Our experience is that if we have HIA then we are credited for 1 day for each day of the cruise (for HIA).  Additional spending has no relevance as the maximum 'spending days' is reached with HIA. (You cannot have more 'spend' credits than 'Sailing Day' credits.

12 day with HIA in a suite = 12 +12 +12 = 36 days credited.

12 days in Verandah (non suite) and HIA purchased as an add on = 12 + 12 = 24 days.

14 days in Verandah (non suite) with HIA included in cruise price = 14 + 14 = 28 days.

Thanks.  Yes I’m aware you can’t earn more than the number of nights for the spending category.  Or else I’d do some retail therapy and become a 5 star real quick.  😂😂

I had HIA on my 14 day cruise ( 2 -7day).  For the first week I had 7 cruise days and 7 spend days.  For the second week I got 7 cruise days and 3 spend days.  My spending on that cruise was about $1800 not including the HIA price.  I never did max out the amount of daily drinks so I don't know if that's why my spend was so low the second week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for your experience! I was going to ping you bc I thought I remembered you having recent info on this. 

I am *counting* on 3x sailing days on upcoming B2B. Otherwise (OH NO) I'll have to find another cruise to make up the 12 or so points that we'll be short for 4*.

• Like 1

I was on the zuiderdam last month on a 14 day cruise (not in a suite) with HIA including crew appreciation (part of the fare...not added later). I was credited for the 14 cruise days and 14 spending days. 

Edited by yerdua
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Thanks for your experience! I was going to ping you bc I thought I remembered you having recent info on this. 

I am *counting* on 3x sailing days on upcoming B2B. Otherwise (OH NO) I'll have to find another cruise to make up the 12 or so points that we'll be short for 4*.

We're with ya! These B2B's are pushing us (finally) to 4*.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I’m hoping for 3X as well too.  With only 5 weeks of vacation a year, we usually spend one week skiing, 2-3 weeks on projects around the house, and 1-2 weeks on a “normal” vacation.  So the points are slow to earn.  

• Like 1

Straight from my account.  I have only taken two 7-day cruises and I have a total of 35 credits.

How Credits Work

CRUISE DAY CREDITS:
1 credit earned for every day sailed.
Increase your Mariner Star Status simply by enjoying your cruise.

SUITE BONUS CREDITS:
1 bonus credit earned for every day sailed.
When you book a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise, you'll not only enjoy special amenities, but also gain a bonus Cruise Day credit. For instance, guests who pay full fare for suite accommodations on a 10-day cruise earn 20 Cruise Day credits.

ONBOARD SPENDING BONUS:
1 bonus credit will be granted for every $300 spent in onboard purchases.
This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

Questions or concerns about your Mariner Status or Mariner Cruise History?
Call the Mariner Society at 1‐800‐547‐9139 (outside of the U.S. call 206-626-7359
ext. 8353), or fill out the form below.

I booked a verandah on my first trip but they upgraded me to a vista suite.  My wife and I had HIA + crew appreciation.  My final onboard statement was $914.34 - $200 OBC (Alaska ain't cheap), and $238 of that was crew appreciation for my daughters who were in the same cabin.  My second cruise was in a vista suite and my wife and I had HIA + crew appreciation.  My final onboard statement was $430.51 - $400 OBC, and $238 of that was crew appreciation for my daughters who were in the same cabin.

19 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

I booked a verandah on my first trip but they upgraded me to a vista suite.  My wife and I had HIA + crew appreciation.  My final onboard statement was $914.34 - $200 OBC (Alaska ain't cheap), and $238 of that was crew appreciation for my daughters who were in the same cabin.  My second cruise was in a vista suite and my wife and I had HIA + crew appreciation.  My final onboard statement was $430.51 - $400 OBC, and $238 of that was crew appreciation for my daughters who were in the same cabin.

You don't need to subtract the OBC - it is the spending that counts, not how it was paid.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

How many spending mariner points did you earn?

Edited by Charlene1985