Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

My understanding is that Princess’ Sphere-class shares its engineering (LNG propulsion, hull structure, mechanical systems) with Carnival’s Excel-class and Helios-class ships. Although those classes are built at Meyer shipyards in Germany and Finland, Princess saved a lot of development costs for their new class by sharing these underpinnings. 

I actually think Carnival Corp did a better job differentiating these ships than previous shared classes. It always bothered me that Vista-class ships for HAL, P&O, Cunard, and Costa looked almost identical. And the Sphere-class for Princess won’t be mistaken for P&O’s Iona, unlike the many Grand-class ships shared by both brands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

My understanding is that Princess’ Sphere-class shares its engineering (LNG propulsion, hull structure, mechanical systems) with Carnival’s Excel-class and Helios-class ships. Although those classes are built at Meyer shipyards in Germany and Finland, Princess saved a lot of development costs for their new class by sharing these underpinnings. 

I actually think Carnival Corp did a better job differentiating these ships than previous shared classes. It always bothered me that Vista-class ships for HAL, P&O, Cunard, and Costa looked almost identical. And the Sphere-class for Princess won’t be mistaken for P&O’s Iona, unlike the many Grand-class ships shared by both brands.

Kind of like Buick/Cadillac/Oldsmobile in the 1980s 

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Kind of like Buick/Cadillac/Oldsmobile in the 1980s 

Right. Carnival and RCI have been doing this for decades, but I think RCI was much better at differentiating their ships for each brand. For example, the Radiance-class for Royal Caribbean and the Millennium-class for Celebrity were engineered with the same mechanicals and hull, but you’d never know that from looking at the ships or their deck plans.

Carnival, however, just built identical ships and changed the funnels and decor. Glad to see they’re trying a bit harder with these new LNG classes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Based on the renderings and images that I've seen, it appears that the only place on the ship where you can see the ocean without a wall of glass in front of you is from a balcony cabin. If true, this is tragic. One of my favorite things on a cruise ship is standing next to the railing on the lido or promenade deck and looking out at the horizon. The effect is totally ruined when there's a pane of glass obstructing the view.

Edited by rob-vs
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, Fairsky84 said:

Right. Carnival and RCI have been doing this for decades, but I think RCI was much better at differentiating their ships for each brand. For example, the Radiance-class for Royal Caribbean and the Millennium-class for Celebrity were engineered with the same mechanicals and hull, but you’d never know that from looking at the ships or their deck plans.

Carnival, however, just built identical ships and changed the funnels and decor. Glad to see they’re trying a bit harder with these new LNG classes.

Really appreciate the response! 

On 10/22/2023 at 5:19 PM, Fairsky84 said:

On 10/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, Fairsky84 said:

Hi do you have any recommendations on places to read about the technical design on the ship?

Off topic the recent twitter photos are really making this ship look incredible, 

On 10/23/2023 at 5:27 PM, rob-vs said:

Based on the renderings and images that I've seen, it appears that the only place on the ship where you can see the ocean without a wall of glass in front of you is from a balcony cabin. If true, this is tragic. One of my favorite things on a cruise ship is standing next to the railing on the lido or promenade deck and looking out at the horizon. The effect is totally ruined when there's a pane of glass obstructing the view.

😨 This, and 5200 pax, I am not sure if i will like this ship class.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

😨 This, and 5200 pax, I am not sure if i will like this ship class.

Sun Princess will have 4,300 passengers. 17% increase based on the last Royal class ships but much more space for them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hi Everyone 🙂

I was wondering if the mini-suites only had a shower & no bath? Also, is there a MUTS as with all other Princess ships? I have checked the deck plans but couldn’t see the MUTS near the pool areas.

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂 

13 minutes ago, fayfam said:

I was wondering if the mini-suites only had a shower & no bath? Also, is there a MUTS as with all other Princess ships?

Yes to both. First question/answer was confirmed by the head of design a few months ago when prompted, citing the "desire for more livable space" (or something along those lines).