Auckland for a full day - best sights to see?

Thunderbird19

Cruise ends in Auckland - getting off the boat on an early Friday morning, but flight home doesn't depart until late that night

Looking for  recommendations of sites to see in or near Auckland since we have a full day there.  There are reasonably priced luggage storage facilities  to use for the day so we won't be encumbered and can easily take public transportation or walk to get around.  We are also considering renting a car for the day  (luggage problem solved) so we'd be a bit more mobile.

Would appreciate advice and suggestions!

4 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Cruise ends in Auckland - getting off the boat on an early Friday morning, but flight home doesn't depart until late that night

Looking for  recommendations of sites to see in or near Auckland since we have a full day there.  There are reasonably priced luggage storage facilities  to use for the day so we won't be encumbered and can easily take public transportation or walk to get around.  We are also considering renting a car for the day  (luggage problem solved) so we'd be a bit more mobile.

Would appreciate advice and suggestions!

wet day - visit Auckland War Memorial Museum 

fine day - take ferry to waiheke island (35 mins)

devonport with car or ferry

parnell rose garden

winter garden auckland domain 

Check what time you need to check in for your flight (domestic flight here was 90 mins today).

• 3 weeks later...

Just note there have been long lines for the Waiheke Island ferry on recent days in Akjl with cruise ships in. They are suffering from staff shortages . 

I'd hire a car myself - downtown Auckland isn't that exciting - I'd consider a drive south to maybe Raglan - you can then easily drop the car at the airport and you avoid any traffic issues coming from the south. 

• Like 1

If you are energetic, I would get a taxi to Cornwall Park and walk around the park and up to the monument to see the view. Auckland rests on a number of dormant volcanoes so there are lots of these parks with great walks and views. Alternatives to the above include Mt Eden and North Head. The latter can be accessed from the Devonport Ferry. Which reminds me - instead of Waiheke, a shorter ferry excursion is to Devonport which is a quaint place also with great volcanic cone walks. All the ferries run from a terminal that is about 100 yards away from the cruise dock.

• Like 2