Considering Royal Caribbean, a few questions

We were on Enchantment June of this year and the ship is definitely in need of some TLC.  Lots of visible rust.  The public restrooms are in pretty rough shape.  The staterooms are OK, the food was typical RCCL, and the crew did the best they could with what they had to work with.  We are Pinnacle and it would have to be an unbelievable deal before we would book Enchantment again  

If you are looking for a deal on a TA cruise next spring look at the 12 day on Symphony from Miami to Barcelona.  . 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

We have been invited to join friends who are sailing on a 15 night TA on the Enchantment of the Seas next April. Have very limited cruising experience, none with Royal Caribbean (RC).

1. Over all, is RC considered a budget, middle of the pack or luxury cruise line?

2. How does Enchantment of the Seas compare to other RC ships, big/small, new/old, crowded/spacious more family or mostly adults?

3. Looking at an outside view cabin but they appear very small on this ship. How do they compare to other cruise lines?

4. At that level cabin and being new to RC will we have limited or no access to certain areas on the ship?

5. A crossing in April could get rough, how stable is the Enchantment of the Seas

6. Is the drinks package a good deal. We probably have lattes at breakfast a pre-dinner drink, 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner and a couple of cocktail/wine in the evening. 

7. What other extras/upgrades are worth paying for? Right now all higher grade cabins are sold out.

Anything that is unique to RC or thoughts on their onboard culture would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

We booked the cruise when prices were a bit lower.

Depending on who you talk to Royal is on par with Carnival.  So budget to mid.

The OV cabin on this ship is decidedly smaller than most.  We booked a mid-ship OV only because the seas can be rough, especially the Atlantic at that time of year, and midship low is probably the best location if rough seas.  The only really stable ship for a TA crossing is the QM2.  There is significant risk if you tend to get seasick.

You might want to buy a dining package if the price is reasonable.  Royal has revamped the MDR menu (if I had known this at the time I would not have booked).  I did buy two lunches at chops.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:52 PM, firefly333 said:

I would say rcl is a budget family friendly line.

I would disagree.

It is no longer budget friendly, especially during peak family times.

A TA cruise outside of a school break may be budget friendly, but a 7-8 day cruise during a school break - yeah, not so much.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Having only cruised on Rustbucket Cruise Lines and RCCL, I can only say that I hold RCCL to a much higher level, especially with suite level cruising.  But, I fully understand that there are many other cruise lines that are much more expensive and offer much more/better luxuries.  But, as someone else in here said, I don't care for the stiff collarness of pure luxury anything.  Even when I cruise in Star Class, I tend to gravitate towards the Pub and Promenade area.  I like to eat in the Coastal Kitchen but I have never spent much time in the Suite Lounge and I don't think I've been in/on the Suite Sun Deck.  That's not to say that I don't like the extra attention given to suite guests, especially Star Class but that's personal, not mingling with stiff collars.  I'm just a retired Army Sergeant and don't know no better.:classic_laugh:

Thanks everyone for your responses and excellent information. We have made the decision not to take this cruise. On the PLUS side, the fact that Enchantment of the Seas is an older, smaller more "traditional" cruise ship actually appealed to us. The price of the cruise pretty much made it a risk free investment and the itinerary really looks interesting. But the deal breaker is the current resurgence of COVID. If the voyage were scheduled during the June - September time period, we probably would have risked it. As I follow various cruise line Boards here on CruiseCritic, it seems that protective measures have been relaxed while flu, COVID and RSV are surging. Our only bout with COVID, the past summer, was very very mild but we are in our 70's and don't want to push it. 

Thanks again all,

Jack

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks everyone for your responses and excellent information. We have made the decision not to take this cruise. On the PLUS side, the fact that Enchantment of the Seas is an older, smaller more "traditional" cruise ship actually appealed to us. The price of the cruise pretty much made it a risk free investment and the itinerary really looks interesting. But the deal breaker is the current resurgence of COVID. If the voyage were scheduled during the June - September time period, we probably would have risked it. As I follow various cruise line Boards here on CruiseCritic, it seems that protective measures have been relaxed while flu, COVID and RSV are surging. Our only bout with COVID, the past summer, was very very mild but we are in our 70's and don't want to push it. 

Thanks again all,

Jack

If you haven't tried it, you might like Oceania.  It is a little more expensive.  However, the ships are smaller, the food is much better, they include almost all non-alcoholic drinks (cappuccinos, soda, etc.) in the basic price, also wifi, and at least one dinner at each specialty restaurant.  The cruises tend to not have children if this matters at all.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:22 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

We have been invited to join friends who are sailing on a 15 night TA on the Enchantment of the Seas next April. Have very limited cruising experience, none with Royal Caribbean (RC).

1. Over all, is RC considered a budget, middle of the pack or luxury cruise line?

2. How does Enchantment of the Seas compare to other RC ships, big/small, new/old, crowded/spacious more family or mostly adults?

3. Looking at an outside view cabin but they appear very small on this ship. How do they compare to other cruise lines?

4. At that level cabin and being new to RC will we have limited or no access to certain areas on the ship?

5. A crossing in April could get rough, how stable is the Enchantment of the Seas

6. Is the drinks package a good deal. We probably have lattes at breakfast a pre-dinner drink, 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner and a couple of cocktail/wine in the evening. 

7. What other extras/upgrades are worth paying for? Right now all higher grade cabins are sold out.

Anything that is unique to RC or thoughts on their onboard culture would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

I'll give you my two cents. RC typically considered a middle of the pack line. Enhancement was one of our first ships as a family. It's a great ship, but I prefer ships in the Oasis Class and Quantum class, followed by Freedom class, and then Navigator-type ships. Enchantment will fall below that for me, but definitely a nice ship. Do the math on the drink package. Check for sales. You might like the package so yo don't have to think about the math on the ship. Other than cabin category, you might want to consider some speciality restaurants.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:55 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I would disagree.

It is no longer budget friendly, especially during peak family times.

A TA cruise outside of a school break may be budget friendly, but a 7-8 day cruise during a school break - yeah, not so much.

Carnival vista costs more than my sept allure ... carnival from Galveston prices are UP imo. A inside on jubilee is at least $1200 and up. Watching prices as I'd like both prima or jubilee. I'm not especially loyal to royal, the prices are just better for me. 

As long as rcl is cheaper it wins for me as more budget friendly. 

Flying to miami next spring break and that's enough for me, otherwise I avoid holidays and kids as much as possible.