What to do in Houston

Sles23

We moved up our trip and are going to be in Houston for an extra day.  We're staying a hotel near George Bush Airport (IAH).  I'm not familiar with the area.  Does anyone have any suggestions of kid friendly things we can do during the day?  Is there a nearby mall or something you recommend that isn't far from the airport?  We don't plan on renting a car and don't want to break the bank on an Uber.  I have 2 kids, ages 6 and 3 so looking for something friendly for them to do as well.  Thank you in advance!

Consider coming on to Galveston for the KIDS .

The island is a tourist destination in it self , with 7-8 million visitors annually , with two first class convention centers , with 52 miles of beach , with tons of history and plenty to do for kids. 

visitgalveston.com

galveston.com

galvestonhistory.com 

moodygardens.com

bryanmuseum.com

pier21.com

pleasurepier.com

I’m wondering what day of the week you are sailing and if you are planning to do cruise line transport to the port. Adding up these costs along with Uber rides to and from an activity near IAH, it might pay to rent an Enterprise car and return it near the port as long as it’s not Sunday as they are closed. A precaution about the area surrounding IAH. The mall nearest there is not a safe area. 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, Sles23 said:

We moved up our trip and are going to be in Houston for an extra day.  We're staying a hotel near George Bush Airport (IAH).  I'm not familiar with the area.  Does anyone have any suggestions of kid friendly things we can do during the day?  Is there a nearby mall or something you recommend that isn't far from the airport?  We don't plan on renting a car and don't want to break the bank on an Uber.  I have 2 kids, ages 6 and 3 so looking for something friendly for them to do as well.  Thank you in advance!

As a Houston native, my advise is don't stay near the airport. It' s a very iffy area. Without a car you are very limited. I've heard that the Children's Museum near the Medical Center, south of downtown is very good. The zoo is in that area too. 

Edited by Texas Tillie