Dress code for evening on Nieuw Amsterdam

rabbit72

1 minute ago, albingirl said:

Florida is different.  People bring their dogs to outside dining venues.  It's crazy.

It's not just Florida. Shorts are accepted in almost all warm weather establishments. I don't think I've ever seen a man in pants in any restaurant in Maui, although admittedly I probably wouldn't notice.

Curious, why is it 'crazy' to bring a dog to an outside dining venue? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's not just Florida. Shorts are accepted in almost all warm weather establishments. I don't think I've ever seen a man in pants in any restaurant in Maui, although admittedly I probably wouldn't notice.

Same! I see dogs at outside venues in Ohio. I think it is fairly acceptable...like shorts 🙂

Edited by Reds4life
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

As a first time HAL guest, I am getting a very "Boomerish" vibe here that a lot of people supplement the lack of entertainment offerings by sitting around and passing judgment on others. Do people really go and tattle "Karen style" on other people for wearing sandals? 😄 

No, just on this forum.  Totally different vibe onboard.  I've never experienced anything in real life like you find on these forums and that includes Carnival, MSC, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Disney, Celebrity, HAL, and a handful of smaller, defunct lines.  This is entertainment. 

I live in South Florida near the port; last time I wore pants to dinner was at my wedding. Even moderately high end dining here is all resort casual. I don't care what the NPC's do. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

It's not just a cruise ship thing, it is a general change happening over the course of decades. 

Exactly. It is called progress. People do not, nor should they, judge the value of others based on what they look like in progressive society. People come from different cultures and choose to dress differently. Dress codes are typically associated with elitists and discrimination. If a person comes in in swim trunks, a robe, and Birkenstocks and goes about their business and quietly eats their meal, why is that an issue? Look the other way or better yet focus on spending time with your travel mates instead of paying attention to random strangers clothing choices. 

Just now, albingirl said:

Doesn't matter.  Generally the staff tries very hard to stay out of confrontation.

And it would be rare that I ever would "confront" the staff in the venue being patronized.  That *could*  lead to a lot of hassle and not enhance my service with them.  What I would confront the service staff of is unacceptable service on their end, like cold or overdone meal.

5 hours ago, Reds4life said:

I am still stuck on why in the world I can't wear shorts and look nice enough to eat in the dining room when I can eat at just about every restaurant in Florida or in port in them. Same with sandals. This dress code stuff is archaic. I don't care if people come in naked to be honest. Might liven the place up a little. 

Is it that hard to put on a pair of pants?  It used to be that jackets were too much.  They relaxed it again.  Now pants and a colored shirt is too much.  Next thing will be it's not much to put on shorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Is it that hard to put on a pair of pants? 

I can't speak for the other person...but I just don't want to on a warm weather vacation. Extended travel in more temperate regions no problem, but if I am leaving South Florida and heading to the Caribbean, Mexico, etc., the idea of doing something I don't like to do and is less comfortable for me for 90mins--2 hours a day on vacation doesn't make any logic to me.  

Now, I am not wearing my sweaty gym clothes to dinner or a damp bathing suit to music lounges; I want to be comfortable but I'm not brain dead or sloppy. I'm not in Harley Davidson T Shirts, obnoxious Hawaiian camp shirts, cargo Shorts, and white new balance gym shoes like so many peoples idea "casual wear".  I don't wear profanity or political beliefs. 

Now, of course, you'll say that a rule is a rule and I should read the website before paying thousands of dollars.  I read it, and I paid, and I had no problems onboard. I wish you very much the same. I sense you did not want a genuine answer to your question, but it is not hard to provide one. 

If a solid color polo shirt, golf shorts, and boat shoes or loafers on a Caribbean cruise really irritates you, I am not the problem in that scenario. You are well aware the table cloths cover everything below your thigh. 

13 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Is it that hard to put on a pair of pants?  It used to be that jackets were too much.  They relaxed it again.  Now pants and a colored shirt is too much.  Next thing will be it's not much to put on shorts.

The times are here.  Apparently not many people care anymore.

Apparently golf clubs and strip clubs have more etiquette than HAL customers.

I will wear very nice pants and shirt.  Which is a departure from 2002 when I sailed last.  If there were still tux rentals, I would rent one.  For many this is a once in a lifetime experience and they like to make it special, that attitude was prevalent years ago and other cruisers respected that and dressed appropriate.  Now days, it seems, anyone can afford a HAL cruise and they demand acceptance regardless of behavior, attire, etc.

Seems like I made the right decision for my wife (cruise).  Seems like I made the wrong decision for me.  I am cool with that.  We will make it great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I went through this discussion a few years ago & finally decided I'd wear what I wanted....not rubber flip flops though.

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Because not everyone is a “Dog Lover” out in the world. Some might have had a bad experience  with a dog in the past. One can’t go out and eat a meal for an hour without bringing their dog? 
Oh I forgot, people can’t go to the grocery store or Home Depot without bringing their dog.

P. S. I’m on my third rescue dog as we speak, 

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Well, yeah, if you are on a cruise in the Caribbean then why would you wear a jacket? It's not cold or it serves no function. Even pants are not very comfortable in warm, humid climates. Finally, what's with a collared shirt? Does that small piece of fabric make all the difference? Better question, is it too much to just enjoy your dinner and not worry about other people? I am there to enjoy the meal and my company. I bet you are more concerned with how nice Christmas gifts are wrapped as well rather than the actual gift or the thought behind it

8 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I can't speak for the other person...but I just don't want to on a warm weather vacation. Extended travel in more temperate regions no problem, but if I am leaving South Florida and heading to the Caribbean, Mexico, etc., the idea of doing something I don't like to do and is less comfortable for me for 90mins--2 hours a day on vacation doesn't make any logic to me.  

Now, I am not wearing my sweaty gym clothes to dinner or a damp bathing suit to music lounges; I want to be comfortable but I'm not brain dead or sloppy. I'm not in Harley Davidson T Shirts, obnoxious Hawaiian camp shirts, cargo Shorts, and white new balance gym shoes like so many peoples idea "casual wear".  I don't wear profanity or political beliefs. 

Now, of course, you'll say that a rule is a rule and I should read the website before paying thousands of dollars.  I read it, and I paid, and I had no problems onboard. I wish you very much the same. I sense you did not want a genuine answer to your question, but it is not hard to provide one. 

If a solid color polo shirt, golf shorts, and boat shoes or loafers on a Caribbean cruise really irritates you, I am not the problem in that scenario. You are well aware the table cloths cover everything below your thigh. 

Pretty much right on point. 

15 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I didn't see pjs in Club Orange on last week's Konigsdam. But I was told by a friend that a man sitting behind me at Lincoln Center Stage at night was wearing a bathrobe and a fanny pack. I missed it but was assured this occurred. 

Same on the NS last week.  Went to Club Orange 6 times and never once saw anyone in their PJs.  Nice shorts and sandals at breakfast, yes, at dinner, slacks and nice shirts, yes, never saw any shorts or t-shirts at dinner.

32 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

Well, yeah, if you are on a cruise in the Caribbean then why would you wear a jacket? It's not cold or it serves no function. Even pants are not very comfortable in warm, humid climates. Finally, what's with a collared shirt? Does that small piece of fabric make all the difference? Better question, is it too much to just enjoy your dinner and not worry about other people? I am there to enjoy the meal and my company. I bet you are more concerned with how nice Christmas gifts are wrapped as well rather than the actual gift or the thought behind it

If a person chooses not to wear a jacket or pants on a cruise, that's certainly their prerogative.  There are lots of places across the ship they can go with no issues.  However, if the part of the ship they intend to go to has a stated dress code, it is that hard to meet the dress code?  It's not really just for that person, it's almost more for the people around them.  Someone in this post mentioned a cruise may be a once in a lifetime experience for some people.  Dressing up for a special meal can really make that a memorable experience for some.

• Like 1