Star Grill by Steven Raichlen

Ocean2OceanVoyager

Can’t speak to when it is open, weather is the main factor I think. It’s a buffet with standard salad and entree sides, desert etc. The carving station can have some very tasty offerings though.

You will be seated at a communal table where the crew will be buzzing around ready to attend your every need. We’re pretty much addicted to the glamour and swank of Amphora. Love the Star grill for those carving station treats at lunch though.

Edited by Nearpost345
  • Thanks 1

It is sometimes open for dinner. The tea smoked duck is amazing. The usual schedule is lunch, then it switches to burgers and such late afternoon. Then it may or may not reopen for dinner. That deck tends to be pretty busy during cocktail hour, which would, i think, may service difficult.

We were on the Star Breeze in September.  The grill was never open for dinner, only lunch some days. Menus were very limited.  Veranda had a more extensive menu.  We ate lunch at the veranda.  It was disappointing that we never got to enjoy any of Star Grill food.  We still ate well.  

Just got off Legend’s transatlantic trip to Miami. Despite rough seas and strong winds, the Star Grill was open for a good portion of the trip for lunch, but only one evening for dinner. We went every day for lunch - delicious salad offerings and wonderful grilled meat and seafood choices daily - but prefer the finer dining of Amphora, Candles or, our favorite, Cuadro 44, for dinner so didn’t partake in the Star Grill’s dinner offerings. 

15 hours ago, SailMaine said:

Just got off Legend’s transatlantic trip to Miami. Despite rough seas and strong winds, the Star Grill was open for a good portion of the trip for lunch, but only one evening for dinner. We went every day for lunch - delicious salad offerings and wonderful grilled meat and seafood choices daily - but prefer the finer dining of Amphora, Candles or, our favorite, Cuadro 44, for dinner so didn’t partake in the Star Grill’s dinner offerings. 

Star grill is really the place to go for dinner if the weather is nice and where you can be completely casual. A nice option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Legend yesterday in Panama.

Star Grill was rarely open for dinner, open almost every day for lunch. Weather did affect operating hours.  Some days "burger bar" ran til 4. 

Most days, room service was the only option for a burger after 2pm.  The daily program listed them open more often then they actually were.

As far as bbq goes,  I was not impressed.  They tried hard to please but much of what was served was dried out. 

I'm suspecting some of this was pre cooked and re-warmed.

Hoping they can work some of the kinks out of this as it does have potential. 

On the other hand...

The featured deck bbq was excellent as always.  They roasted 2 pigs, 

had back ribs, red snapper and shrimp on the grill.

The sides were great as well.

I skip lunch the day of the bbq.

This is still the highlight of the cruise for us.

• Like 1

Just got off Pride and I will say we were pretty pleased with what we found at Star Grill.  Except for one dry piece of chicken, everything else was really good and it was open for 6 of the 11 nights which added a nice alternative although we only ate dinner there once.  Cuadro was excellent as was  Amphora and Candles.  Amazing to have 4 evening dining options on a 300 pax vessel.  

Windstar still over delivers for the money!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 12:41 PM, schmidlapp said:

Just got off the Legend yesterday in Panama.

Star Grill was rarely open for dinner, open almost every day for lunch. Weather did affect operating hours.  Some days "burger bar" ran til 4. 

Most days, room service was the only option for a burger after 2pm.  The daily program listed them open more often then they actually were.

As far as bbq goes,  I was not impressed.  They tried hard to please but much of what was served was dried out. 

I'm suspecting some of this was pre cooked and re-warmed.

Hoping they can work some of the kinks out of this as it does have potential. 

On the other hand...

The featured deck bbq was excellent as always.  They roasted 2 pigs, 

had back ribs, red snapper and shrimp on the grill.

The sides were great as well.

I skip lunch the day of the bbq.

This is still the highlight of the cruise for us.

On our last trip the Lobster was MIA from the deck BBQ and everything, especially the dessert bar, seemed very downscale, no more elaborate carvings, etc. Is this still the same. It was all still tasty, just not quite as elaborate.