Westjet pulling EU flights out of Eastern Canada

Ex-Airbalancer

Yes, WestJet is prioritizing (my word, not theirs) flying out of their Calgary base. There’s going to be more of a focus on YYC as the gateway for the western half of the continent. So if you’re in Phoenix & want to fly to Edinburgh, you can fly east & connect in ORD or DFW or someplace like that, or fly north for a connection through YYC and wind up with a shorter flight. Or that’s how it was explained to me. 

We lived in Atlanta for years so are Delta fliers & AC is a closer experience to what we’re used to. Disappointing to see choices disappearing in Canadian airports. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I guess I wouldn’t  be booking any EU flights with Westjet as it would add atleast 6 hours to any flight 

https://simpleflying.com/westjet-cuts-non-calgary-europe-routes/?fbclid=IwAR2OUWII3EXmhOGOVm2HRlfp-I14xWwmnq-dvTYYveMp18Kl6oJ_iVF6Xlc

Westjet is pulling back from the east overall.  Most Quebec/Atlantic/Ontario/Transborder flights in the east also either canceled, reduced or seasonal.  Similiarly, AC significantly cutting back on Alberta flights preferring to focus on Vancouver and Toronto/Montreal hubs over Calgary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dolfan1980 said:

Westjet is pulling back from the east overall.  Most Quebec/Atlantic/Ontario/Transborder flights in the east also either canceled, reduced or seasonal.  Similiarly, AC significantly cutting back on Alberta flights preferring to focus on Vancouver and Toronto/Montreal hubs over Calgary. 

Yes, it is making me question my Westjet credit card. I used to be able to go out of London, ON, connect in Toronto and go about my business. Now London flights are down to near zero. Time to start to look at other travel credit cards.  I will miss the companion fare, and Premium Plus seating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I was looking for the Halifax - Dublin flight in their schedule. Now I know why I couldn’t find it. Pretty sad for Halifax that they’ve cut 4 routes. We always seem to be backtracking to Montreal or Toronto. Ugh.

I was on the last flight direct flight Halifax to Dublin early Oct. They cancelled our Glasgow flight and rerouted us home from London via Toronto! That trip went from 5 hours to 12. Bad enough they are doing this but now Air Canada won't have competition!!

Will be looking at any airline but West Jet after this!!

6 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I was looking for the Halifax - Dublin flight in their schedule. Now I know why I couldn’t find it. Pretty sad for Halifax that they’ve cut 4 routes. We always seem to be backtracking to Montreal or Toronto. Ugh.

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I was on the last flight direct flight Halifax to Dublin early Oct. They cancelled our Glasgow flight and rerouted us home from London via Toronto! That trip went from 5 hours to 12. Bad enough they are doing this but now Air Canada won't have competition!!

Will be looking at any airline but West Jet after this!!

Halifax is going to be a bit of a big loser in all of this I think.  WS pulling out of most of the region means really just YHZ-YYZ for most of the year on WS.  I also think the Porter jet expansion is going to start to see the several flights a day that do YYZ-YHZ-YYT/YOW-YHZ-YYT overfly YHZ too.  It really leaves just AC with a bit of a mini-hub in YHZ and even they have been flowing more of the Atlantic flying directly through YYZ/YUL too, especially in summer.

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

In Sept, we had to stop in Calgary and board a bigger plane for our flight to Gatwick.  No more non-stop Vancouver to Gatwick.  Goodbye WestJet.

Much better than flying west from Halifax to Toronto before flying east to Gatwick!

• Like 2

This is all so disheartening for those of us Halagonians who have the WestJet card for the companion pass.  I was recently pricing flights Halifax to/from Ft. Lauderdale and seeing the 'best' of the reasonably priced options return flight was first flying to Calgary for a stop over ... come on.

Fort Lauderdale to Calgary  4,762 km

Calgary to Halifax       5,162 km

vs

Fort Lauderdale to Halifax  3,462 km

Guess it will be good bye WestJet

Edit to note that my distances are driving so not flight distance but it still paints the relative picture.

Edited by poffles

3 hours ago, poffles said:

This is all so disheartening for those of us Halagonians who have the WestJet card for the companion pass.  I was recently pricing flights Halifax to/from Ft. Lauderdale and seeing the 'best' of the reasonably priced options return flight was first flying to Calgary for a stop over ... come on.

Fort Lauderdale to Calgary  4,762 km

Calgary to Halifax       5,162 km

vs

Fort Lauderdale to Halifax  3,462 km

Guess it will be good bye WestJet

Edit to note that my distances are driving so not flight distance but it still paints the relative picture.

Wow, WS wouldn't be making any money on that one!  

On 12/24/2022 at 3:33 AM, gold1953 said:

I often see direct flights costing a lot more than flights with a stop over. Boggles my mind!

When the flight is setup they allocate a certain number of seats to each fare class code  (that letter code) as the cheap seats sell out only the more expensive ones are available.  Usually that means if its a popular city pair the cheap seats on the direct flight sell out first before the connecting ones.