Cost of Wifi When Purchased Onboard

Desert Cruisers

Haven't been on HAL in ages so have a few questions about wifi - interested in basic "check e-mail" level.  We did not purchase the Have It All Option which includes wifi.  

How much does wifi cost? 

Is there a discount if you purchase wifi for the entire cruise?

Is there a discount for Mariners? 

Can OBC be used to purchase wifi?

Thanks.

If you do a search, you will see a number o threads with a chart of pricing. You only get a discount on the Premium plan by booking in advance. There isn't a discount for Mariners. Yes, OBC can be applied to Wifi plans.

The cost is based upon the length of your cruise.

Chart attached. There is a discount of 20% (to anyone) on Premium only, if purchased before sailing by at least a day I think. You can find that in your booking on line. This makes Premium for the whole cruise only a little more than Surf, but pre-cruise it must be bought with credit card and not OBC. 

Just to be clear: it is the same internet, same speed and "bandwidth" only fewer sites/apps are blocked and the data cap is higher before it goes into crippled mode.

Wifi.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Haven't been on HAL in ages so have a few questions about wifi - interested in basic "check e-mail" level. 

Note: to be able to 'check e-mail' you will need Surf package minimum. "Social" is confined to:

"Message your friends and family on popular social messaging apps*, such as Facebook Messenger and others. Messaging Apps (audio/video features not supported)."

If we pre-purchase the premium do we get the $30 internet 5 Star benefit taken off our account when we board the ship?   Also,  has anyone tried done a MS video conference when on board?    We will be on the Rotterdam in Aruba in the evening when I have a video conference that I might need to participate in.

19 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

If we pre-purchase the premium do we get the $30 internet 5 Star benefit taken off our account when we board the ship?   Also,  has anyone tried done a MS video conference when on board?    We will be on the Rotterdam in Aruba in the evening when I have a video conference that I might need to participate in.

Regarding video conferencing, or even basic email, unfortunately it is not predictable. Across multiple cruise lines and around the world, I have experienced everything from excellent  video calls (sometimes even on the 'Surf' types of package no) to zero connectivity and the inability to load simple websites or do emails. 

So much depends on your location, weather, and overall usage by pax and crew. My rule of thumb is to never expect that I will have connectivity at any point. If you have a mandatory call, I'd look to a cellular data-based connection. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
Correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:
2 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Regarding video conferencing, or even basic email, unfortunately it is not predictable. Across multiple cruise lines and around the world, I have experienced everything from excellent  video calls (sometimes even on the 'Surf' types of package no) to zero connectivity and the inability to load simple websites or do emails. 

So much depends on your location, weather, and overall usage by pax and crew. My rule of thumb is to never expect that I will have connectivity at any point. If you have a mandatory call, I'd look to a cellular data-based connection. 🍺🥌

HAL's premium level internet is stated as offering:

Access all the sites and apps* in the other two cruise WiFi plans, plus make audio and video calls.

Audio & Video Streaming
    Web surfing, Sports, Emails & News
    Messaging Apps (audio/video features are supported)

Although it says you can make video calls, you may find your access blocked if you need to go through a VPN.  HAL appears to block most VPNs.  That said, even if your video conference isn't blocked, you likely will find the service very slow in the evening when your conference takes place.  The more users on the ship sharing the same internet bandwidth, the slower it is for all.  Evening can be a very high use time.

I have found the the $30 discount benefit is only available for onboard internet purchases.  Generally we purchase the medium level (SURF) plan onboard and use the $30 discount.  We've found the internet to be adequate for our needs which includes keeping a daily blog updated.

• Like 1

Reliability can depend on where you are on the ship; our cabin isn't always a good location; sometimes by guest services or up in the Lido is better.  For sure early mornings are usually good.  I have used, tried to use, internet at various times and I agree with comments above, you cannot depend on availability or access at any time.  If I had work to do, there would have to be another way that is more reliable.  We paid $179 for premium plan purchased in advance for 14 days last month on the NA.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, OBC can be applied to Wifi plans.

I've got a question about this.  I've yet to sign up for my internet plan and will have $250 OBC when my cruise begins in a few weeks.  To apply my OBC toward internet, can I do so on the automated sign-up screens or would I have to stand in line at customer service to do so?  How might this work?  TIA

Once connected to HAL's intranet (Navigator), there's an option to sign up for Internet. The cost will be billed to your onboard account, just like any other purchase. Your OBC will automatically be used to offset the cost.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1