Live from the Orion Auckland to Sydney Dec22 - Jan5

katlew

9 minutes ago, katlew said:

14 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Thanks for the info on Adelaide.  We'll be in the city in late January for three days as part of our 2-week whirl-wind land tour (self-scheduled) before our cruise.  Our TA is setting up details for our Barossa Valley wine tour, but the other 1 1/2 days are open right now.  Hoping to soak in the atmosphere of the city while there!

Maybe you might consider an overnight in the Barossa then? There are some fabulous places to stay. 

7 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Out of curiosity, what sort of snails are they? Is the problem that they are indigenous to NZ not Australia? 

I’m not sure what kind, but the issue is NZ doesn’t want us in certain areas with them on our hull. They found them on a routine dive check. They couldn’t get someone to clean them off here which is why we are heading to Adelaide where a company can. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Out of curiosity, what sort of snails are they? Is the problem that they are indigenous to NZ not Australia? 

This article gives a quick explanation of the issues: https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/130847298/cruise-ship-too-dirty-for-milford-sound-after-sea-snails-found

The problem is that because they have snails clinging to the hull they cannot enter the waters of New Zealand's Milford Sound (by laws, to protect the environment of the sound). The snails are picked up in open waters, with no way to prevent it.  It's all in the article.

Edited by Peregrina651

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

This article gives a quick explanation of the issues: https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/130847298/cruise-ship-too-dirty-for-milford-sound-after-sea-snails-found

The problem is that because they have snails clinging to the hull they cannot enter the waters of New Zealand's Milford Sound (by laws, to protect the environment of the sound). The snails are picked up in open waters, with no way to prevent it.  It's all in the article.

Except I don’t think we were going to the Milford Sound.

Hello from the Tasman Sea! 
Yesterday, was Wellington and our last NZ port. We booked a private tour at Zealandia through their website. It was about 1/3 the cost of Viking’s tour, we just had to get there ourselves. You have to take a shuttle or tour bus to get out of port, no walking into town. The shuttle had two stops in town, one near the cable car & one further down the main shopping street. We got off at the first stop & took a quick Uber to Zealandia. (We could have taken a free Zealandia shuttle from town, but the timing didn’t work.) 

Zealandia was beautiful & we saw & heard many rare birds. Our guide was very knowledgeable and interesting. We had expected a 2 hour tour & he spend 3 hours with us. We walked some trails best for more able bodied, but we did see some easier walks.

After our tour we caught a Zealandia shuttle back to town. It dropped off right across the street from where the cruise shuttle picked up. We were hungry for lunch, but other than fast food most restaurants were closed for Boxing Day around that area. We did end up at a great little kebab place. We had hoped to have time to go to the museums, but decided to shop for a few more warm weather clothes instead as it will be hotter in Australia than we expected.

Another part of our group didn’t go to Zealandia, but instead went along the waterfront & to the museums. She said there were plenty of restaurants open there & it was a really wonderful day. I wish we had had two days in Wellington to do both Zealandia & the museums. 

Shuttle service getting back to the boat was a little crazy. One of our group waited 40 minutes for a bus back. Three Princess shuttles came in that time but no Viking. When we got our bus back, they put all the Viking folks on a bus marked Princess & told us just to ignore the sign. That meant we didn’t wait & another Viking shuttle was also right behind. It seems the person working the shuttle stops made the difference in organizing which boat a shuttle should go to. We also heard there is a bus driver shortage & Princess had to cancel at least one Zealandia excursion because if it. I haven’t heard that for Viking.

A beautiful sail out we watched with cocktails from the back deck & then another great dinner in the restaurant. We ended to night playing cards in the Explorers Lounge. We are enjoying Laurence the guitar player & selection of songs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, katlew said:

Yesterday, was Wellington and our last NZ port. We booked a private tour at Zealandia through their website. It was about 1/3 the cost of Viking’s tour, we just had to get there ourselves. You have to take a shuttle or tour bus to get out of port, no walking into town. The shuttle had two stops in town, one near the cable car & one further down the main shopping street. We got off at the first stop & took a quick Uber to Zealandia. (We could have taken a free Zealandia shuttle from town, but the timing didn’t work.) 

Zealandia was beautiful & we saw & heard many rare birds. Our guide was very knowledgeable and interesting. We had expected a 2 hour tour & he spend 3 hours with us. We walked some trails best for more able bodied, but we did see some easier walks.

After our tour we caught a Zealandia shuttle back to town. It dropped off right across the street from where the cruise shuttle picked up. We were hungry for lunch, but other than fast food most restaurants were closed for Boxing Day around that area. We did end up at a great little kebab place. We had hoped to have time to go to the museums, but decided to shop for a few more warm weather clothes instead as it will be hotter in Australia than we expected.

Another part of our group didn’t go to Zealandia, but instead went along the waterfront & to the museums. She said there were plenty of restaurants open there & it was a really wonderful day. I wish we had had two days in Wellington to do both Zealandia & the museums. 

Shuttle service getting back to the boat was a little crazy. One of our group waited 40 minutes for a bus back. Three Princess shuttles came in that time but no Viking. When we got our bus back, they put all the Viking folks on a bus marked Princess & told us just to ignore the sign. That meant we didn’t wait & another Viking shuttle was also right behind. It seems the person working the shuttle stops made the difference in organizing which boat a shuttle should go to. We also heard there is a bus driver shortage & Princess had to cancel at least one Zealandia excursion because if it. I haven’t heard that for Viking.

A beautiful sail out we watched with cocktails from the back deck & then another great dinner in the restaurant. We ended to night playing cards in the Explorers Lounge. We are enjoying Laurence the guitar player & selection of songs.

Enjoying your travel log. We were in NZ in 2009, and my husband has been three times. It’s a shame you didn’t have more time in Wellington—the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa is fabulous—I remember it well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, katlew said:

Thanks for sharing your Wellington experience.  I'm curious how far the cruise port is from the city - how long was the shuttle bus ride?

9 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Thanks for sharing your Wellington experience.  I'm curious how far the cruise port is from the city - how long was the shuttle bus ride?

The ride to the first stop was like 5 minutes. According to the port website it’s about a 20 minute walk to the CBD, but you can’t just walk to the port entrance as it’s a working port. We were surrounded by piles of lumber waiting to be shipped to China. 

1 hour ago, katlew said:

The ride to the first stop was like 5 minutes. According to the port website it’s about a 20 minute walk to the CBD, but you can’t just walk to the port entrance as it’s a working port. We were surrounded by piles of lumber waiting to be shipped to China. 

Ah - that's why I asked.  I was wondering if it was walkable, but apparently not.

Adelaide was super hot yesterday at 41c but have had a cool change overnight. Arriving on 31st will see a lovely sunny NYE of 30 centigrade. You may experience some lumpy seas tomorrow though. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Adelaide was super hot yesterday at 41c but have had a cool change overnight. Arriving on 31st will see a lovely sunny NYE of 30 centigrade. You may experience some lumpy seas tomorrow though. 

We’ve had some bumpy seas yesterday & today too. The ginger candy & green apples are out at guest services!

• Like 1

It’s the end of day two of our four unexpected sea days in a row. The sea got a bit rolly yesterday afternoon and has gotten rougher throughout today. Our 4th floor windows are all wet and some of the outdoor spaces are closed. I really feel for all the people using canes and walkers on board, there are quite a few.

Days go much quicker than you’d expect. We sleep in until about 8 and have breakfast around 9. There are many scheduled talks, scavenger hunts, trivia, movies, and so on… Our family also likes to meet for card games in the Winter Garden which is almost empty except at tea time or it’s being used for a private function. It’s bright, comfortable, & doesn’t seem to roll as much a the Explorer’s Lounge. The boat felt fuller today than other days for some reason, there wasn’t a seat in the Atrium/Living Room this morning for example. I think it’s because outside isn’t super comfortable so everyone is searching for indoor space. 

Food and service continue to be very good. The employees are having to deal with this schedule change as well as us, plus try to keep us happy. Poor guest services is getting quite beat up I’m afraid.

I will admit today I got a little down with all these missed ports, plus we realized today that we aren’t getting into Melbourne until 1:00pm instead of in the morning. We are there until 10pm, but our tour was scheduled to leave at 10am & part of it was lunch at a vineyard. Guest services says that tours will just be pushed back & they’ll let us know. I know cruising can be full of issues like these, I’ve missed a port due to weather before, & Viking is compensating us for what has happened, it’s just we’ve travel so far & spend so much it’s hard not to feel disappointed about what we will miss. We’re all doing our best to be positive & have a good time with the trip that has been dealt to us though. 

• Like 6

Our sea days continue…yesterday was calmer, but overcast. We fill our time with games, reading, and lots of food. We saw our first land since leaving Wellington yesterday before dinner when we sailed by Wilson’s Promontory Lighthouse. We ask saw dolphins playing in the boats waves the other day. Some said they saw a penguin at lunch, but I’m not sure about that.

we had a lovely Asian Panorama dinner at the Chef’s Table. I have to say we were worried based on some posts here on CC, but we have enjoyed most of the food & the service has been great in all the restaurants. (I say most of the food, because not everything everyone orders is exactly to their tastes, not that anything had been bad or prepared badly.)

We get at Adelaide early tomorrow, but there are still no shore excursions options. We heard from others on the boat who were looking for private tours that everything was sold out. We may just end up exploring on our own, though are not sure how far port is to town. Hopefully, there will be ample shuttles if it is a distance or it is a port we can walk out of & take an Uber. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, katlew said:

Our sea days continue…yesterday was calmer, but overcast. We fill our time with games, reading, and lots of food. We saw our first land since leaving Wellington yesterday before dinner when we sailed by Wilson’s Promontory Lighthouse. We ask saw dolphins playing in the boats waves the other day. Some said they saw a penguin at lunch, but I’m not sure about that.

we had a lovely Asian Panorama dinner at the Chef’s Table. I have to say we were worried based on some posts here on CC, but we have enjoyed most of the food & the service has been great in all the restaurants. (I say most of the food, because not everything everyone orders is exactly to their tastes, not that anything had been bad or prepared badly.)

We get at Adelaide early tomorrow, but there are still no shore excursions options. We heard from others on the boat who were looking for private tours that everything was sold out. We may just end up exploring on our own, though are not sure how far port is to town. Hopefully, there will be ample shuttles if it is a distance or it is a port we can walk out of & take an Uber. 

That's disappointing about the excursions. 

It is Saturday here and a normal day. There should be bus shuttles to get you into the city but there is also a train station about five minutes walk. Will take maybe 30-40 minutes into the CBD. It will be a lovely warm day. Once in the city there are the usual shops etc. Walk down North Terrace Promenade. Quite a walk but in a couple of kilometres you will reach our Botanical Gardens which are excellent. Could walk through to the Wine Exhibition buildings and then Rose Gardens. On the other side of Gardens is the zoo. I'll put a post on our Tourism Ministers FB page just in case they can put on a Volunteer service for all the questions you will have when you arrive. Once in the city you could also take the tram to Glenelg. One of our main tourist beaches. You can get on the tram from just outside the city station or just near the shuttle drop off, assuming there is one. Our central market, also on the tram stop on the way to Glenelg, is also open for full business and will be bustling. 

You can also get the usual taxi and ride share options - maybe cost $40aud, or maybe $28 USD to the city. They will take you anywhere. Eg Cleland Park but will be more expensive as a longer trip. 

No need to tip - anywhere. Also don't bring food off the ship. 

• Like 2

So I've contacted the Tourism Ministers office by email and they have already responded which surprised me. They are getting their media people onto it now. I don't know if it will help with excursions or shuttles but am keeping my fingers crossed for you. It will be a cracker of a day here weather wise and if you get into the city just ask for help. We are mostly a friendly bunch here and everyone will be in a good mood. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

So I've contacted the Tourism Ministers office by email and they have already responded which surprised me. They are getting their media people onto it now. I don't know if it will help with excursions or shuttles but am keeping my fingers crossed for you. It will be a cracker of a day here weather wise and if you get into the city just ask for help. We are mostly a friendly bunch here and everyone will be in a good mood. 

Unfortunately we aren’t being allowed in Adelaide now either. See below 

Another day another disappointment on the Viking Orion! There will be no docking in Adelaide for hull cleaning. It must be done 17 nm out to sea. Many guests are perplexed and the questions are many. The Orion should have been aware of the Coral Princess situation. The CP was covered in the media. Is this just poor planning or gross incompetence on the part of Viking Cruises. Passengers deserve an answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, we are the cruise to nowhere now. Australia won’t let us get the hull cleaned at port in Adelaide, we have to do it off shore & can’t go into port… so another sea day. We’ll be at sea for 6 & 1/2 days straight. They say we will get calls about compensation when we get home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'd have expected marine laws to be well known. I see it has dropped off our port list now.   Cleaning it that far offshore will be quite treacherous in these waters tbh. 

Edited by Pushka

Hmmm. So the Ministers office advised that it was because Border Force couldn't operate with such short notice. This stop meant that Adelaide became the first port after international travel and so likely needed extra clearance and staff to manage. May not have been Vikings fault.  She did mention that cleaning would be done 12 nautical miles out of Australia's international waters. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Hmmm. So the Ministers office advised that it was because Border Force couldn't operate with such short notice. This stop meant that Adelaide became the first port after international travel and so likely needed extra clearance and staff to manage. May not have been Vikings fault.  She did mention that cleaning would be done 12 nautical miles out of Australia's international waters. 🤷‍♀️

Interesting! So many moving pieces.

2 hours ago, katlew said:

Well, we are the cruise to nowhere now. Australia won’t let us get the hull cleaned at port in Adelaide, we have to do it off shore & can’t go into port… so another sea day. We’ll be at sea for 6 & 1/2 days straight. They say we will get calls about compensation when we get home.

katlew - So sorry to hear about your experience, we are on the Mars end of Feb. Sydney to Auckland so following your thread closely. In addition to partial reimbursement through Viking, not sure if you might have coverage through any Travel Insurance. I realize that it is not a substitute for missing the ports and experiences you spent so much time planning, but thought I would share just in case it might help. Sounds like Viking should have been well aware of this issue for this itinerary and taken presumptive measures. I do hope that you can enjoy the remainder of your trip.

So, we had an interesting talk with the General Manager today. He tells us the boat was inspected many times along the way here in many countries & was passed as clean until the New Zealand stop. Even Australia had passed the boat for a clean hull. It seems like this was a surprise. He has assured us Melbourne will not be an issue & we may actually get in earlier.

• Thanks 1