Live from the Orion Auckland to Sydney Dec22 - Jan5

katlew

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

This is the issue! It will be interesting to see what Viking offers. We have missed ports before on Viking and have been given some OBC but this is completely different.

We were on the Viking Star in it's inaugural year when there was a "mechanical" issue. We made it to Tallinn but the problem could not be resolved so everyone was off loaded. We missed 6 of the scheduled 11 ports. Viking originally said they would only reimburse us 50% but there was a furor since more than half the ports were missed. We were finally reimbursed 65% plus a 50% voucher. I am curious as well as to how Viking will handle this. 

• Like 1

Geez, flying to NZ and OZ from the USA is very costly and takes lots of planning due to length of flights. We did this cruise with X a few years ago and so happy to have done the part of the World. If we had to float around on the ship and miss what we basically paid for, we would be livid. Many of you are much more easy going than I would be. That is a good thing. Best of luck.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Maybe we should be responding in the spirit of the traveller actually impacted here, which is @katlew who has been most gracious in the face of a rather difficult cruise. 

Yes, that was what I was alluding to when I made my post. They are handling their disappointment quite graciously. I do hope they have the opportunity in the future to return to both OZ and NZ. I enjoyed my time in both places immensely and happy to have "completed" that part of the World I had always wanted to visit.

🙂

It is a very long flight and no  plans to return but wonderful memories.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Like 4

Perhaps those on Orion should be aiming for something along the lines of the compensation those on Sky got. 

Perhaps not the free invitational cruise, but at least a full refund and vouchers so the cruise/holiday could be rebooked at no financial loss, including flights etc 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, that was what I was alluding to when I made my post. They are handling their disappointment quite graciously. I do hope they have the opportunity in the future to return to both OZ and NZ. I enjoyed my time in both places immensely and happy to have "completed" that part of the World I had always wanted to visit.

🙂

It is a very long flight and no  plans to return but wonderful memories.

Yes, it took a lot to get here & we are very sad & disappointed to miss things we planned & so looked forward too. We keep reminding ourselves we are lucky, as we are safe and it wasn’t a scary issue like the Polaris. Also we are in a situation where we can probably visit NZ/Australia again. I know there are many people on this ship that might not be able to do that & I really feel bad they lost this experience. I understand their anger, though we have no idea who is really to blame here or just a fluke. I think this happening over the holidays really added to the issue too. Imagine finding a diving crew willing to do this work over this past week! Our divers work all day NYE and New Year’s Day.

I overheard a great conversation at guest services yesterday. A couple was asking if they could just stay on the boat & sail back to Auckland. It’s the same itinerary plus Napier, so they’d see all the ports. The rep was calling to see if it was possible. I tried to tempt my husband into it, but silly work needs him back.

I will say we are very glad we booked extra days in Auckland & Sydney on either end of the cruise. We are looking forward to exploring Sydney & a trip to the Blue Mountains.

On another note, we really feel like Viking did not expect this as we are seeing things run out or low, this is just something we are guessing based on what we see. It’s nothing major we know of but the wasabi peas are gone, spring salad greens are looking a little sad, tomato & lime slices are a little smaller, and there are fewer & fewer types of beer. The breakfast buffet felt less full this morning. There are no more benedicts premade ready to take and less fruit variety. The bartender last night said they hope a lot will be restocked at our technical stop today in Melbourne.

Wish us luck it’s smooth sailing into Sydney!

Edited by katlew
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Perhaps those on Orion should be aiming for something along the lines of the compensation those on Sky got. 

Perhaps not the free invitational cruise, but at least a full refund and vouchers so the cruise/holiday could be rebooked at no financial loss, including flights etc 

I think we’ll be well compensated, but won’t know until we get home. 

5 hours ago, TERRIER1 said:

We were on the Viking Star in it's inaugural year when there was a "mechanical" issue. We made it to Tallinn but the problem could not be resolved so everyone was off loaded. We missed 6 of the scheduled 11 ports. Viking originally said they would only reimburse us 50% but there was a furor since more than half the ports were missed. We were finally reimbursed 65% plus a 50% voucher. I am curious as well as to how Viking will handle this. 

We were originally told 50% voucher, but that quickly changed to approximate compensation after more issues. We are expecting at least 100% in some refund/voucher form.

Ok, we get to get off the boat in Melbourne! Well, we get to get off, go through immigration and get right back on. It’s very late with the first two floors going at 10:15pm and the last at 11:30pm. Guess we better watch those after dinner drinks 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, katlew said:

Ok, we get to get off the boat in Melbourne! Well, we get to get off, go through immigration and get right back on. It’s very late with the first two floors going at 10:15pm and the last at 11:30pm. Guess we better watch those after dinner drinks 😉

Groan to be in that last group. Or even the first group.  I guess Sydney doesn't want to process Immigration. 

16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Groan to be in that last group. Or even the first group.  I guess Sydney doesn't want to process Immigration. 

It also means we don’t have to waste time in Sydney doing immigration & can go on tours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, katlew said:

It also means we don’t have to waste time in Sydney doing immigration & can go on tours.

Good to hear there is a positive then. Enjoy Sydney and hope you berth in the Harbour. The sail in is wonderful. But usually very early in the morning.  Even if it's White Bay you will get to go under the Bridge. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Good to hear there is a positive then. Enjoy Sydney and hope you berth in the Harbour. The sail in is wonderful. But usually very early in the morning.  Even if it's White Bay you will get to go under the Bridge. 

Yes!  Set your alarm for the sail in. It is worth it. Hope you dock in the Harbour too. Perfect place.

On 12/31/2022 at 10:03 PM, Serendiptydesign said:

Please do visit Nz it is a lovely place well I am biased we live there. May be fly in and rent a car. If you pm privately we  live 20 minutes from Martinborough wine district and offer accommodation. 

What a kind offer! We would love to see New Zealand some day. (Though not, I think, on a cruise.) It’s on the bucket list. If we do, we will get in touch! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

They’ll be heart broken I’m sure

Do you really think NZ should not protect its environment from contamination by foreign pests?

Not at all. But thanks to this eye-opening thread, this foreign pest will travel there overland rather than by ship, if we ever do get to go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

We don’t get in until 1pm, do hopefully a good sail in. Thank you for all you great posts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Not at all. But thanks to this eye-opening thread, this foreign pest will travel there overland rather than by ship, if we ever do get to go. 

Don't discard the marine approach totally, as it's a wonderful way to see the country. The problems encountered in this thread, while extremely unfortunate, are unique in my experience. Hopefully they will lead to better precautions by the cruise lines going forward - nobody wants this to happen! 🍺🥌

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TERRIER1 said:

We were on the Viking Star in it's inaugural year when there was a "mechanical" issue. We made it to Tallinn but the problem could not be resolved so everyone was off loaded.

I remember this well. We were docked right next to you on the RCL Serenade during our Baltic cruise. 

The issue is now on main page BBC in the UK today.  It will be interesting to see how Viking deal with UK guests who will have very particular consumer rights protections in relation to this cruise. 

Viking Orion: Cruise passengers stranded after marine growth halts ship https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64138743

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, uktog said:

The issue is now on main page BBC in the UK today.  It will be interesting to see how Viking deal with UK guests who will have very particular consumer rights protections in relation to this cruise. 

Viking Orion: Cruise passengers stranded after marine growth halts ship https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64138743

Why mention Adelaide? If NZ hadn't prevented the cruise from porting then Adelaide wasn't even on the itinerary.