Low salt preference

zitsky

This is a preference, not a requirement.  Is there any way to indicate a preference for low sodium meals, or should we just mention at each meal?  Basically we’re trying to avoid the salt shaker emptied over our food in the kitchen.

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is a preference, not a requirement.  Is there any way to indicate a preference for low sodium meals, or should we just mention at each meal?  Basically we’re trying to avoid the salt shaker emptied over our food in the kitchen.

For this you can do this once onboard.... that will be best...

bon appetit and bon voyage

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Food is cooked in batches, so any special requests need to be made separately...May be a long wait

Or I could break into the kitchen and steal the salt shakers.  Insert evil laugh here.

For me, meals prepared low sodium are a medical requirement not just a preference.  I always make note of it when we book the cruise.  Then, I discuss it with the maitre d' on the first day.  The first night is always iffy, but usually something can be arranged.  After that, your waiter or maitre d' will bring you the next night's menu so your meal can be prepared separately without adding salt.  Surprisingly, this routine even worked well recently on the Apex where we had dinner in each of the separate dining rooms.  And I never had a long wait as longer as I ordered my meal the night before.

Be forewarned, most food in the Oceanview Cafe (any meal) has salt added to it.  I found it more difficult to make good choices so I tried to eat in the dining rooms as much as possible.

10 minutes ago, baggal said:

For me, meals prepared low sodium are a medical requirement not just a preference.  I always make note of it when we book the cruise.  Then, I discuss it with the maitre d' on the first day.  The first night is always iffy, but usually something can be arranged.  After that, your waiter or maitre d' will bring you the next night's menu so your meal can be prepared separately without adding salt. 

I did this on Anthem of the Seas (it was the waiter that came by and had me look at the next day menu) and it worked out sort of OK.  I think there are some dishes where they just can't do this, for example cheese usually has a lot of salt so if you want the cheese you have to accept the salt.

I mention Anthem because Royal is a sister company.

We were just on Princess and we found the food very salty in the dining room as Celebrity so not sure if its just a dining room issue on these cruises. We found the food in Blu to be less salty so If you can do Aqua its worth it for that (our opinion).

My husband has serious dairy allergies and we always discuss it with the Mairtre’D who assigns us to a waiter that can manage it. If we don’t feel like the waiter gets it, we have a chat with the Maitre’D and usually get the waiter we stay with. Ordering in advance is the best. My husband isn’t the best at that and they usually make it work. Good Luck.