richwmn Goes around the world in a daze

richwmn

Hi Rich,

Noticed the ship is scheduled for Ocho Rios today.  We are due to be there in a couple of weeks, having Grand Cayman just being cancelled.  Lots of people posting that they plan to stay on the ship due to personal safety concerns.  Are you or anyone you know planning to get off the ship?  Would love to hear about the day/port.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi Rich,

Noticed the ship is scheduled for Ocho Rios today.  We are due to be there in a couple of weeks, having Grand Cayman just being cancelled.  Lots of people posting that they plan to stay on the ship due to personal safety concerns.  Are you or anyone you know planning to get off the ship?  Would love to hear about the day/port.

We are docked at the industrial port, not the tourist port. As such there is nothing to do right at the ship. This is also where I docked 20 years ago the first time I visited Ocho Rios. My plans to stay on the ship have nothing to do with personal safety, more like 'been there, done that' several times. If we were at the tourist dock I might get off and check out the shops, but that is a 30 minute walk or short cab ride away.

I talked to one CC member this morning that is doing a HAL tour to Dunn's River Falls, but have not talked to anyone else yet.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I took a couple of pictures to show the industrial port we are docked at and how close it is to the tourist port. It is interesting that the port information we were given last night is about the tourist port.

20221225_084736.thumb.jpg.57d33184da0dfdc911938eddb7c2f458.jpg

20221225_084742.thumb.jpg.a0a2f641a0d20e46e73fce24723a7706.jpg

20221225_084811.thumb.jpg.ed7251c654e62384f34f07e4cea700ca.jpg

20221225_084849.thumb.jpg.4d142dc8a765707a9f18fcf645366dc5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I took a couple of pictures to show the industrial port we are docked at and how close it is to the tourist port. It is interesting that the port information we were given last night is about the tourist port.

20221225_084736.thumb.jpg.57d33184da0dfdc911938eddb7c2f458.jpg

20221225_084742.thumb.jpg.a0a2f641a0d20e46e73fce24723a7706.jpg

20221225_084811.thumb.jpg.ed7251c654e62384f34f07e4cea700ca.jpg

20221225_084849.thumb.jpg.4d142dc8a765707a9f18fcf645366dc5.jpg

The only thing that you can do here is to take a tour to Dunn's River Falls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

No mention of Number 4, but they are to do another show, so he might be available then.

Me thinks he got sick and/or injured and therefore unable to perform. Those are usually the reasons they're a no-show for a or more than one performance(s) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

We are docked at the industrial port, not the tourist port. As such there is nothing to do right at the ship. This is also where I docked 20 years ago the first time I visited Ocho Rios. My plans to stay on the ship have nothing to do with personal safety, more like 'been there, done that' several times. If we were at the tourist dock I might get off and check out the shops, but that is a 30 minute walk or short cab ride away.

I talked to one CC member this morning that is doing a HAL tour to Dunn's River Falls, but have not talked to anyone else yet.

Smart. We were there several weeks ago off NS and was not good. Did Bamboo Beach Resort Tour and it was terrible. Not close to being a resort. Then once we got back on ship heard that the government declared state of emergency due to violence on island. Prior visits to the island had been good..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Today’s Activities “What’s Happening” I find  the feature Hotel General Manager Mailbox odd.  In your experience,  is writing a note more effective than using the Navigator App?    

I hope you are enjoying the warm weather and had a Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 0106 said:

From Today’s Activities “What’s Happening” I find  the feature Hotel General Manager Mailbox odd.  In your experience,  is writing a note more effective than using the Navigator App

NO. Mailbox goes to specific person and may not be seen by more than one person (if any 😁 ) I believe the app ("Let Us know") gets more attention, faster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

NO. Mailbox goes to specific person and may not be seen by more than one person (if any 😁 ) I believe the app ("Let Us know") gets more attention, faster. 

Assistant to the Hotel General Manager picks up the contents of the box. I have seen this happen on 3 ships this year. No idea what actually happens then.  

I would like to know how the Navigator APP contact form is handled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Assistant to the Hotel General Manager picks up the contents of the box. I have seen this happen on 3 ships this year. No idea what actually happens then.  

I would like to know how the Navigator APP contact form is handled.

I've heard it's digitally documented (and Seattle can see it but not sure if that is true). But I've tried to get responses by speaking with different people onboard and get crickets (or slow responses) but when I've put things in the app, the cabin phone rings by end of day saying it's in the works. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Monday December 26th, 2022 from Grand Cayman Island.

I look out my cabin window and the first thing I see is a mouse. Actually what I see is Disney Dream. She is close to us and fills the horizon.

It appears to be a nice day. Tendering is supposed to start in a few minutes but no announcement yet. Again I got a notice that 4 & 5 star Mariners could pick up priority tickets. I guess I’ll go ashore for a little bit. I generally enjoy the tender ride so it might be a nice diversion.

I was a bit remiss last evening in not talking about the entertainment. Along with @scrap the trivia was fun. On the 6:30 trivia (Christmas Trivia) we tied and lost the tiebreaker. The question was to guess the number of guests below the age of 18. We guessed 450, the answer was 319 and another team guessed 301. We talked a minute about it and it sure seems like more than 319, but they are all well behaved.

Elliot Finkel was the Main Stage entertainment again. I watched a bit of his Christmas show and enjoyed it. I particularly liked the mention of his brother and father.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Rich

Dec-26.thumb.png.68166abd0d67b34b21be35da76efcc9b.png

Dec26-2.thumb.png.331bf094a7526614748e454ca9e62f43.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for taking us along. I doubt if I'll ever get to a World Cruise, but at least I can travel with you vicariously.  The "mouse" freaked out my wife for a bit. She was relieved it was a Disney cruise ship. 

Happy sailing.

• Like 6

Disney_Dream.thumb.png.d350117e907b7a7bf91062f9eb024bc7.png

The Captain just announced that the weather conditions are to poor to tender into Georgetown. Thru the window it just looks overcast, but when I walked out on the aft Lido Deck a few minutes ago it was a steady rain and I could see a lot of motion on the tenders for Dream.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, REOVA said:

I've heard it's digitally documented (and Seattle can see it but not sure if that is true). But I've tried to get responses by speaking with different people onboard and get crickets (or slow responses) but when I've put things in the app, the cabin phone rings by end of day saying it's in the works. 

I have used the Let us know on the app and have gotten replies via phone within 24 hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As was mentioned earlier, we pulled away from Grand Cayman shortly after we arrived. So today has been a very lazy day at sea. A bunch of activities were added and showed up on Navigator very quickly.

20221226_142728.thumb.jpg.7f413a9eeec32ede134e888b525a6ab2.jpg

One of the added activities was an EXC talk: Islands of the Mind, which talked about the influence three people have had on the perception of the Caribbean. It was a very entertaining 40 minute multimedia presentation on Jimmy Buffett, Earnest Hemingway, and Ian Fleming.

Once we got a little way from Grand Cayman the weather became nice.

This evening’s menus

Dec26Lido.thumb.png.07d374b00e573da5ce477f67480d5b2d.png

Dec26MDR1.thumb.png.227146ced6ec095fdc188a1cddaa820b.png

Dec26MDR2.thumb.png.f72a9c2246760ab5bcd817e04d300b3d.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, richwmn said:

One of the added activities was an EXC talk: Islands of the Mind, which talked about the influence three people have had on the perception of the Caribbean. It was a very entertaining 40 minute multimedia presentation on Jimmy Buffett, Earnest Hemingway, and Ian Fleming.

Once we got a little way from Grand Cayman the weather became nice. 

Is it too late to turn back? 🤣

We had the same EXC presentation last month and enjoyed it. Hopefully they won't repeat it on the GWC. 😉

• Like 2

Once we got away from Grand Cayman the ship settled into a sea day routing. Aboard ship, the weather became nice so lots of people around the pools, and the roof was open.

Tonight we had the the Jukebox Rouges again, this time doing “Masters of the Musicals”, another good show but again missing a member. The show is high energy and well done.

We didn’t do well with trivia today, no where near enough to win but it was still fun. Trivia has been in the Billboard area and one nice thing is that the questions have been displayed on the various screens around the area so that if you can’t hear above the noise, a screen is nearby. The answers were displayed on the screens as well.

Music Walk will be starting up shortly with a pub crawl and 9pm and the Orange Party starting at 9:45 in the Rolling Stone Lounge. I’m sure a lot of Orange will be displayed and everyone will have a good time.

• Like 15