richwmn Goes around the world in a daze

richwmn

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for sharing your live experience with us here at Cruise Critic!"

richwmn was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

For the past few years I have started a thread on Cruise Critics for each of my cruises, generally just before joining the ship. For this cruise I have not been able to decide if I really wanted to do the same thing. Part of the reason, there will be several people doing live threads and blogs and I’m not sure another one is necessary. However, I’m going to start it. This will be from the standpoint of a first time World Cruiser. We will just see how long it lasts.

I started traveling at 5pm on Monday, December 19th with a short drive to an Airport Area hotel. We did not hit the same traffic as we did in October and arrived safely and I got checked in without any problems.

Tuesday morning the shuttle to the airport was on time, and getting into the airport and thru TSA was uneventful. I had plenty of time to get a quick bite, then get to the gate prior to boarding the plane. After a quick flight to Fort Lauderdale I got my luggage (without any problems this time) and proceeded to the shuttle pickup. I called the hotel and was given an eta of 30 minutes so I settled in. Just a very short time later the shuttle arrived. Seems he was at the other terminal and had room so he just came over. After an easy trip to the hotel I checked in without any problems.

I didn’t really have any plans for Fort Lauderdale, I just wanted to be sure I had plenty of time.

Thursday morning there was a shuttle available to the port, so I took that rather than an Uber or Lyft. Easy ride to the port, arriving about 11:40. I thought I would have a long wait, but there was almost no line and I progressed thru check in and embarkation very easily, taking about 30 minutes from arrival to being in my cabin.

So I am now settled in for an extended period.

• Like 57
  • Thanks 8

As I mentioned, embarkation went without any hassle and I was in my cabin quickly. Both my cabin attendants were able to stop by and introduce themselves. I have Deny and Pita. Deny is a repeat, he was my mother’s attendant on my first cruise in 2000, and my attendant several years ago on Prinsendam. Pita is my first female attendant and seems very nice.

I didn’t grab the meals yesterday, but here are the activities.

Dec22-2.thumb.png.2492e6755eb42109401e78486065499d.png

Dec22-1.thumb.png.f1006bf21f54bdc74d4ec8de1d883ac9.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I also thank you Rich for taking the time to write this thread. I look forward to reading your views. I am another who will not get to do a world cruise so I will live vicariously through you. Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy each day to its fullest. And have a croissant for me at least one time !

• Like 7

Enjoy, Rich.  HAL's World Cruises always were a little too long for me but I've done  a Crystal World Cruise and a Grand South America and started out never believing either would be possible.  It's a fantastic experience.

Roy

• Like 14

I guess I should point out that the World Cruise does not actually start until January 3rd.

Along with several others I am on the preceding 12 day holiday cruise. We will be picking up a few more World Cruisers on December 29th for New Years, then on to the World.

I had a chance to meet @Scrapnana yesterday. She mentioned on the sailaway thread that she would be on the promenade deck near the outside elevators, so I went out there. We then played trivia twice last evening.

On this holiday cruise all cabins are filled, many with passengers in the 3rd and 4th bunks, meaning quite a few kids. So far they have been well behaved but they are evident everywhere.

Today was a beach day at Half Moon Cay. Although they announced that everyone needed tender tickets there wasn’t an early crowd. I got an announcement last night that 4 & 5 star Mariners could pick up tickets at Rolling Stone Rock Room. When I got there no one was waiting, I was given a ticket and directed to go immediately to the tender. When I got to the staircase to deck A, someone asked the attendant where to get tickets and he directed them to go to the tender.

I walked around HMC for a bit and had a nice conversation with the Assistant Beverage Manager. HMC has been built up a bunch since the first time I saw it, and I think it is over built.

Back on board, I went to Guest Relations to sort out a couple of things. We will see tomorrow how those things shake out.

Today’s Dec23Lido.thumb.png.ceec7c10a0952b2249dfc6823643fa46.png

Dec23MDR-1.thumb.png.3562ab3987915fb0b5f0cfcdead7919e.png

Dec23MDR-2.thumb.png.6b4d1bc5f27f5f50d86b0442aed91689.png meals:

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I. Am guessing that about 100 plus  will be on board  pre W.C and are going to join us on the World Cruise 

We'll be there next Thursday as well. Great to get some early reports.

• Like 2