music on Viking cruises

Diveloonie

I had this discussion with my mother who has done many more cruises than I, that one of her pet peeves on cruise ships (she has done several different lines) is that they pipe music throughout the whole ship, even in the library and she finds it annoying.  

My questions is since we want to do a future WC on Viking, but have actually not taken a Viking cruise yet, is there music that is played throughout the ship (hoping not)! 

We too hate piped in music!  Music is such an individual thing and what someone likes, someone else dislikes. I am happy to say Viking does not have piped in music. You will hear live music in the evenings at different places, but you can always find a quiet place if that does not suit your taste. 

• Like 1

The piped "music" we love is the bird calls and other animal / nature noises in the public bathrooms.

Now, the above member states that Viking does NOT have piped music?  I beg to differ that some areas do in fact?  There have been many discussions on CC about this and it is quite a contentious issue.

Have Viking stopped the piped music?

I do believe that all the chairs areas on deck 7 around the pool and the WinterGarden have piped music.  I do believe also that piped music is in the elevators?

I may be wrong with this...

I stand corrected, I forgot about the lovely tweeting birdies in the restrooms. 

We've spent a fair amount of time on Viking and never heard piped in music. CDNPolar we have somehow missed it if it is there. I'd be interested to know if others have experienced that. Somehow I've also missed the discussions on CC, but certainly don't want to get a heated discussion started. 

2 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

It’s birds tweeting but very softly - I could never go to the Ladies room without smiling. 

You will also hear frogs croaking... which I always thought were pigs, but apparently they are frogs!

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We've spent a fair amount of time on Viking and never heard piped in music. CDNPolar we have somehow missed it if it is there. I'd be interested to know if others have experienced that. Somehow I've also missed the discussions on CC, but certainly don't want to get a heated discussion started. 

No, I don't think that you will get a heated discussion going, but there have been many conversations about this topic.  

I personally don't mind music anywhere anytime and I am quite able to block it out if it does not meet my mood or needs.

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I recall hearing the birds in the bathrooms, especially early morning,  but like you, don't recall hearing piped music. I just assumed my selective hearing blocked out the background noise.😁

• Like 1

I seem to recall  it just birds but on occasion waves in the toilets. And I also recall piped music everywhere but it’s very low and really is only noticible when a space is empty. Certainly never interfered with conversation…or concentration though admittedly I don’t do much of that anymore 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just home from Neptune TA & can report that there is no piped music played outdoors by the two pools. This is absolutely GLORIOUS & creates a very calming experience. Only the ambient sounds of the pool sloshing, other passengers talking, & of course the wake if you're at the Infinity Pool. 

On this cruise, the piped music in Explorers Lounge was on an extremely short loop, repeating about every 20 minutes. Irritating for those of us who like to spend extended time there.

Also IMHO, the live music by the pianist, classical duo, & guitarist was overkill. Each had several sessions very night. How about one set of each a night? That's enough. The guitarist playing in Explorers Lounge was amped, the volume making it too loud to hold a conversation. Unplugged would create a more relaxing cocktail hour. 

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

I have a differing opinion. Being a musician, my ears are very attuned to any music that is taking place in pretty much any situation. During the Chairman's cruise awhile back, there was definitely music playing most of the time around the ship. Surely noticed it in World Cafe and the dining room. However, it was all very 'new agey', subdued, and totally unobtrusive - totally unlike the brash and loud arrangements of pop tunes that I've often cringed at when on RCCL. I remember hearing music on Viking very well because certain pieces really caught my interest and was even considering contacting Viking to find out what some of the playlists are that they might be using. I'll have to give a listen next month and see what's playing. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I too often hear the music in the background that no one else notices. I am just off the Mars Bali to Sydney and I do not remember hearing the usual background music, at least in most places on the ship.  When I read, music often is too distracting for me - I think that I would have noticed as I was reading in many places on the ship. 

The fitness center music was really loud on my previous Viking Ocean cruises, but with regular earbuds, I could just make my music louder to cover their music.  I was worried about this, since I now have to use bone conduction earphones (not in the ear). The really good news for me was that they no longer had piped in music in the fitness center.  I was very pleased with this change!

There were still forest noises in the bathrooms.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, minka34 said:

I too often hear the music in the background that no one else notices.

Yes...on Viking it was very subdued and, I thought, had a calming effect moreso than being a distraction. I suspect they're drawing from the new age category to arrive at their playlists.