Turn Down to be reduced to once a day 2023!

ulster-cruiser

10 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

almost every other tip we pay out in the world is not per person, but per table/room/ride, etc. DSC is per person. Unless you are traveling solo, you have to double it at least (I know fare is doubled for solo unless you get a rare solo room. but not sure about DSC). We're paying over $600 in DSC for 4 of us on a 10 day cruise, and that's under the rates when we booked before even the previous price increase.

Now you're just conflating numbers to attempt to skew the result. You HAVE to break it down to a pp, or a pp/pd, level so we have an apples-to-apples comparison. You tip $20 after dinner for two, that is $10 per person...easy to figure out.

"over $600 in DSC" just sounds so bad, but ONLY because you are multiplying it to make it seem bigger. It is still just $16pp/pd or $160pp for the cruise. You also left out the fare so we really don't see the true tip percentage. Share ALL of the numbers, not just some of them.

$16 pp for one day? If all you had were your three meals and the room cleaning, that is just a $4 tip per service. 

41 minutes ago, BugsyCruiser said:

It's the fact that NCL is raising the gratuities but in the article it says they're reducing the salaries of the attendants

Actually that's not accurate . Any attendant with the current job title of Junior Stateroom Steward will be receiving an increase in salary under the new system.

I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I suspect a very high percentage...who knows...perhaps even the majority of NCL's stateroom attendants carry the "Junior" title because there's been a huge turnover in crew associated with the long pandemic shutdown.

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Actually that's not accurate . Any attendant with the current job title of Junior Stateroom Steward will be receiving an increase in salary under the new system.

I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I suspect a very high percentage...who knows...perhaps even the majority of NCL's stateroom attendants carry the "Junior" title because there's been a huge turnover in crew associated with the long pandemic shutdown.

Then the articles I'm reading are reporting it wrong. Again I'm just giving my opinion and feelings on the matter. 

3 minutes ago, BugsyCruiser said:

Then the articles I'm reading are reporting it wrong. Again I'm just giving my opinion and feelings on the matter. 

I don't know what you're reading but I'm quoting the original article in crew-center.com. Subsequently cruiseindustrynews.com obtained the same letter that crew center was quoting and did not dispute anything said in the Crew Center article.

You were not just giving an opinion, you were misstating a fact . Are you familiar with the saying "Everyone's entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"?... stated by Senator Daniel Patrick in 1983. There other well-known figures who have made similar statements .

https://crew-center.com/norwegian-cruise-line-reduce-stateroom-cleaning-services

"With this change the crew holding the position of Junior Stateroom Steward will see an increase in salary, however, this will scale down the salary for the current Stateroom Stewards."

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't know what you're reading but I'm quoting the original article in crew-center.com. Subsequently cruiseindustrynews.com obtained the same letter that crew center was quoting and did not dispute anything said in the Crew Center article.

You were not just giving an opinion, you were misstating a fact . Are you familiar with the saying "Everyone's entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"?... stated by Senator Daniel Patrick in 1983. There other well-known figures who have made similar statements .

https://crew-center.com/norwegian-cruise-line-reduce-stateroom-cleaning-services

"With this change the crew holding the position of Junior Stateroom Steward will see an increase in salary, however, this will scale down the salary for the current Stateroom Stewards."

Are you familiar with the concept of not having to be hostile towards someone you don't agree with?

With this change the crew holding the position of Junior Stateroom Steward will see an increase in salary, however, this will scale down the salary for the current Stateroom Stewards."

That sounds like a decrease in salaries for current Stateroom Stewards but yes I'm somehow I'm making up my own facts. 😉

Have a good day. 

Edited by BugsyCruiser
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, BugsyCruiser said:

Are you familiar with the concept of not having to be hostile towards someone you don't agree with?

With this change the crew holding the position of Junior Stateroom Steward will see an increase in salary, however, this will scale down the salary for the current Stateroom Stewards."

That sounds like a decrease in salaries for current Stateroom Stewards but yes I'm somehow I'm making up my own facts. 😉

Have a good day. 

Try reading your original post. You said NCL was reducing the salary of "the attendants"...you did not say NCL was reducing the salary of "Stateroom Stewards ".

The position of "Attendant" currently is  occupied by two job titles, Junior Stateroom Steward and Stateroom Steward.

Those with the current job title of Junior Stateroom Steward will in fact be receiving a salary in increase. You're definitely making up your own facts by failing to recognize that there are two different current job titles . And you're trying to cover your misstatements by using different job titles in your most recent post than you used in your original post .

On 12/29/2022 at 7:02 AM, luv2kroooz said:

Educate yourselves! There are so many great vacations out there right now outside of the cruise space. I am typing this from a land based resort where we just spent three nights. Live entertainment every night including comedy, dealing pianos, singers. Christmas decorations everywhere. Indoor pool and hot tubs. No surcharges, surcharges, etc. It is wonderful and compares very favorably from a pricing perspective.

We have enjoyed cruising in the past. I can't see us booking a cruise on any cruise ship in the near term. Someone else will have to subsidize their COVID losses. It ain't going to be us.

I always love these kinds of educational posts. First and foremost, the conversation stemmed from a lack of 2nd turndown. We already know for a fact that the grass is greener on the other side solution doesn't offer it either. We also didn't get much details of where this cruise package without a cruise (and a lot of the other things) even exists. In the US, it is very difficult to find a place outside of Vegas that has consistent entertainment. Adding in dining doesn't exist.

Cruising always gets a bad rap because it's easy and fun to compare like items. Someone gets shot near a crappy hotel? Crickets. An idiot jumps off a ship? SHIP SAFETY?! Hotels have increased fares and fees without service to match, but we all complain about DSC. When literally everything, everywhere has gone up in price. Are is the total value of cruising really that much different now? Or are we comparing a familiar baseline? 

Everyone wants to blame the cruise lines. What is the solution for their large debt, cost of goods and labor increases? I know, not your problem. You're the poor victim that can't have towels replaced twice per day. Now it won't feel special! Go pay for it if you want it. If you want to be mad at someone, educate yourself and be mad at those who truly destroyed the economy. There was no reason to put cruise ships into billions of debt. Now they are fighting for survival. A lot of you whiners would change your tune if the industry suddenly stopped.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I always love these kinds of educational posts. First and foremost, the conversation stemmed from a lack of 2nd turndown. We already know for a fact that the grass is greener on the other side solution doesn't offer it either. We also didn't get much details of where this cruise package without a cruise (and a lot of the other things) even exists. In the US, it is very difficult to find a place outside of Vegas that has consistent entertainment. Adding in dining doesn't exist.

Cruising always gets a bad rap because it's easy and fun to compare like items. Someone gets shot near a crappy hotel? Crickets. An idiot jumps off a ship? SHIP SAFETY?! Hotels have increased fares and fees without service to match, but we all complain about DSC. When literally everything, everywhere has gone up in price. Are is the total value of cruising really that much different now? Or are we comparing a familiar baseline? 

Everyone wants to blame the cruise lines. What is the solution for their large debt, cost of goods and labor increases? I know, not your problem. You're the poor victim that can't have towels replaced twice per day. Now it won't feel special! Go pay for it if you want it. If you want to be mad at someone, educate yourself and be mad at those who truly destroyed the economy. There was no reason to put cruise ships into billions of debt. Now they are fighting for survival. A lot of you whiners would change your tune if the industry suddenly stopped.

Thank you for sharing your opinions about my post, Joebucks. Happy New Year.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Try reading your original post. You said NCL was reducing the salary of "the attendants"...you did not say NCL was reducing the salary of "Stateroom Stewards ".

The position of "Attendant" currently is  occupied by two job titles, Junior Stateroom Steward and Stateroom Steward.

Those with the current job title of Junior Stateroom Steward will in fact be receiving a salary in increase. You're definitely making up your own facts by failing to recognize that there are two different current job titles . And you're trying to cover your misstatements by using different job titles in your most recent post than you used in your original post .

You really need to stop. I'm moving on. Seriously go berate someone else

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Thank you for saying what I and many others were thinking. If the value of the total price of cruising, including all costs such as taxes, fees, service charges, etc, are higher than you will value the experience: you have to option to find another vacation to suit your wishes. 

If you are so upset by this announcement that you want to never spend your money with NCL again, please spend your money elsewhere. And take your drama with you. Buh-Bye.

Edited by newbe dave
  • Like 3

So I didn't read every page, but I can tell everyone that if you have a Pullman, couch or drop bed that they will be opened and closed 2x per day unless YOU tell them not to.

It is a safety hazard!

They will still save money and time though. If 1 in 3 rooms need it done and it take 5 minutes(a stretch) verse 15 minutes for normal service.

I'm sure the experts will say I'm wrong, but this will happen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So I didn't read every page, but I can tell everyone that if you have a Pullman, couch or drop bed that they will be opened and closed 2x per day unless YOU tell them not to.

It is a safety hazard!

They will still save money and time though. If 1 in 3 rooms need it done and it take 5 minutes(a stretch) verse 15 minutes for normal service.

I'm sure the experts will say I'm wrong, but this will happen!

I really hope this is correct.  It is hard to believe they would want to risk damages to the bedding/equipment or injuries to a passenger who doesn’t know how to put away or get out the Pullman bed or sofa beds.

7 minutes ago, PNWMomma said:

I really hope this is correct.  It is hard to believe they would want to risk damages to the bedding/equipment or injuries to a passenger who doesn’t know how to put away or get out the Pullman bed or sofa beds.

It would seem to be this. I’ll find out in 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, BugsyCruiser said:

Let me clarify what I meant with my post. It's the fact that NCL is raising the gratuities but in the article it says they're reducing the salaries of the attendants. The once a day housekeeping doesn't bother me at all. 

I know cruise lines all do nickel and diming to a certain extent but, again just my opinion, NCL is ridiculous with it. 

If you read the industry insider background, they also are reducing staff in housekeeping as contracts expire.  Less service + higher cost - staff = a less pleasant experience. IMHO

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

does one really need nightly turn down service?  if for some reason ( x-rated thought), you can call the steward to freshen up the room when you are out.

Not me.  I get my ice water in the OL/buffet and am perfectly capable of pulling the sheets and blanket down to get in bed.  Even after taking full advantage of the PBP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, newbe dave said:

Thank you for saying what I and many others were thinking. If the value of the total price of cruising, including all costs such as taxes, fees, service charges, etc, are higher than you will value the experience: you have to option to find another vacation to suit your wishes. 

If you are so upset by this announcement that you want to never spend your money with NCL again, please spend your money elsewhere. And take your drama with you. Buh-Bye.

We have followed your advice!! Thanks for giving us that option. I didn't use the words anger, never, or drama to describe my state of mind. Did you?

Happy New Year!!

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

does one really need nightly turn down service?  if for some reason ( x-rated thought), you can call the steward to freshen up the room when you are out.

Not sure that is the point.  No one really needs to take a cruise for that matter.  It’s a luxury.  

It’s more about dumbing down the experience and charging more for less.  Cruises have been so successful because of the value and overall experience.  So much more than a hotel.  Start to make it more and more like a hotel and continue to erode the value, and the industry could be in for a continued rocky road.  

Of course there will always be apologists that don’t care what the cruise line does (blind loyalty) and tell the “whiners” to move on.  Like sheep in a heard.  Followers.  Doesn’t really help anything.  Most of us complain because we actually care about the product and experience and want it to thrive.  We are invested in it.  I want it to evolve in a positive way, not erode down the toilet.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This may come as a shock, but I've been around sheep, and most of them seem to be quite happy!  Dumb?  Absolutely.  But they do have a way of enjoying the pasture that other beasts might be able to learn from.

If you’re happy paying more for less then good on you. 

• Like 2