More bad publicity for P&O

Host Sharon

Just had an email from my friend who is on Arvia. She says to ignore all the bad press, they are having a lovely time, minor issues with waiting for a table but nothing terrible and they would recommend it to anyone. They have not seen any bad behaviour, as usual the minority who are causing problems get in the press. We are on Iona in 7 weeks, my friend has been on that and says it’s a lovely ship and she knows we will enjoy it. I trust her views as she knows us very well. 

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Just had an email from my friend who is on Arvia. She says to ignore all the bad press, they are having a lovely time, minor issues with waiting for a table but nothing terrible and they would recommend it to anyone. They have not seen any bad behaviour, as usual the minority who are causing problems get in the press. We are on Iona in 7 weeks, my friend has been on that and says it’s a lovely ship and she knows we will enjoy it. I trust her views as she knows us very well. 

A couple go for the bad report=compensation tactic and folk jump on the band wagon. No proof just jump on board.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

The one couple who complained to the papers. Saying it’s the worst holiday. Photos from Twitter shows them enjoying themselves. Quite funny what people will do for attention 

Yes exactly: craving that bit of “fame” to spread around family get togethers and work mates so they can feel special. Plus milking it for all they can get.

And sadly many readers of papers, esp. the gutter press such as the Mail etc…will happily believe anything they read and tut like mad. There are times I think mankind is doomed…

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

The biggest shock for me in all of this is the fact that “P&O has major IT problems” is deemed to be a national news story. P&O’s IT system hasn’t been fit for purpose for the last 10 years at least. This is hardly ‘new’ news 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 4
  • Haha 10

17 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Yes exactly: craving that bit of “fame” to spread around family get togethers and work mates so they can feel special. Plus milking it for all they can get.

And sadly many readers of papers, esp. the gutter press such as the Mail etc…will happily believe anything they read and tut like mad. There are times I think mankind is doomed…

And similarly people will believe there is nothing wrong and everything is wonderful.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The biggest shock for me in all of this is the fact that “P&O has major IT problems” is deemed to be a national news story. P&O’s IT system hasn’t been fit for purpose for the last 10 years at least. This is hardly ‘new’ news 😂 

Like everytime British Airways systems go down or even another Airline

41 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

And similarly people will believe there is nothing wrong and everything is wonderful.

We take about 6 holidays a year. Things seldom go 100% to plan. As long as it is fairly minor  we deal with it and just get on with enjoying ourselves. Things often go wrong, but running to guest services for a complaint form is far from wonderful.  We won't be sailing with P&O again. At least not till February. Will it be wonderful?, probably not. Will we enjoy our holiday?. ....you bet 🤣

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We take about 6 holidays a year. Things seldom go 100% to plan. As long as it is fairly minor  we deal with it and just get on with enjoying ourselves. Things often go wrong, but running to guest services for a complaint form is far from wonderful.  We won't be sailing with P&O again. At least not till February. Will it be wonderful?, probably not. Will we enjoy our holiday?. ....you bet 🤣

We’ve never had any reason to complain in 13 years of cruising, and can easily dismiss minor issues. But in the past 3-4 years, I have had my eyes opened to the problems faced by people with limited mobility. When you’re in constant pain, when you’ve had new hips and knees and when your spine is crumbling, excessive queueing and standing about is very very hard. Now my parents would never dream of complaining, but in such situations, the enjoyment disappears. Nobody expects wonderful 100% of the time, but it’s quite reasonable to expect a professional product, akin to what is advertised. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We’ve never had any reason to complain in 13 years of cruising, and can easily dismiss minor issues. But in the past 3-4 years, I have had my eyes opened to the problems faced by people with limited mobility. When you’re in constant pain, when you’ve had new hips and knees and when your spine is crumbling, excessive queueing and standing about is very very hard. Now my parents would never dream of complaining, but in such situations, the enjoyment disappears. Nobody expects wonderful 100% of the time, but it’s quite reasonable to expect a professional product, akin to what is advertised. 

You right, of course. Genuine issues should be reported and dealt with

In the buffet on Britannia in October a Lady was ,arms outstretched, uttering in a very loud voice...no coops, there are no coops( the waiter was just putting 2 new trays out......they're behind you....oh! a minute ago there were no blooming coops. 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Just a little concerned on how people like myself who don’t have a mobile phone or tablet are expected to cope.  I go on holiday to leave computer issues at home.

You will be fine just head to Reception or designated area they will be more than happy to book you things etc.

2 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

You will be fine just head to Reception or designated area they will be more than happy to book you things etc.

Since the " app " we have carried our phones, before that they stayed in the safe.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I take it you can no longer attend after dinner entertainment unless you have been to reception and booked. (More queuing) I Have no phone or tablet.

You can still head to the theatre and they will get you in. They may ask you to wait right till the show starts just encase it does fill up. In March they started asking for details on entrance to the theatre then stopped, In October they asked most times for details. I believe not all shows can be bookable anyway.

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Had to complain on at least 4 occasions, wasn’t looking for compensation, the vast majority don’t, they just want what has gone wrong to be fixed.

We had to complain twice on an Oceana Cruise when our bathroom flooded twice, the second time at 3:00 am in the morning, I has sense of humour failure at this point and we were moved to an empty cabin.

The third complaint related to our obnoxious table companions on the Azura, after 2 nights of enduring racial slurs against the waiters and anyone of a different race, we insisted that a different table be found for us for the rest of the cruise. 

The 4th complaint related to obvious broken furniture on the balcony on the Aurora, why this hadn’t been picked up at change over in port no one seemed to know. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Everyday we hear reports now, I feel since this is the first proper Christmas cruise/s with nearly full ships the lack of staff also contributing with other factors to it, it didn't run smoothly as they had hoped. Their is definitely people going all out hoping to win big or what ever. For me I feel people have forgotten the ships have had no passengers for 2-3 years then they started reintroducing the ships to paying guests even then ships were say 50% full maybe 70% I can't remember the figures they were adhering to at the time, now all restrictions are lifting they are having to adapt again which can take time unfortunately. 

I really don’t know what you mean by ‘hoping to win big or what ever’. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Had to complain on at least 4 occasions, wasn’t looking for compensation, the vast majority don’t, they just want what has gone wrong to be fixed.

We had to complain twice on an Oceana Cruise when our bathroom flooded twice, the second time at 3:00 am in the morning, I has sense of humour failure at this point and we were moved to an empty cabin.

The third complaint related to our obnoxious table companions on the Azura, after 2 nights of enduring racial slurs against the waiters and anyone of a different race, we insisted that a different table be found for us for the rest of the cruise. 

The 4th complaint related to obvious broken furniture on the balcony on the Aurora, why this hadn’t been picked up at change over in port no one seemed to know. 

We visited guest services on Iona when we couldn't get a table in Epicurian. We told them we knew Graham and Pauline.  We got the booking we wanted straight away.

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 15

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

They were all genuine complaints. 

And I fully agree with your opening paragraph. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I really don’t know what you mean by ‘hoping to win big or what ever’. 🤷‍♀️

Hoping to win big by getting as much compo as possible for instance they think by going to the news companies they think we will get even more than what is offered.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Really? On what do you base that theory? 

I've had people say it directly to me and others. People just shout what they are planning to do. I wish I could go into more detail but some of the complaints we have dealt with and we literally put down everything word for word. 

5 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

I've had people say it directly to me and others. People just shout what they are planning to do. I wish I could go into more detail but some of the complaints we have dealt with and we literally put down everything word for word. 

Interesting. Could you provide more context regarding the ‘we have dealt with’? You make it sound as if you work for P&O! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Interesting. Could you provide more context regarding the ‘we have dealt with’? You make it sound as if you work for P&O! 

Maybe I have. I won't go into detail like I said but some of the things people say to try and get what they want is unbelievable