Cars broken into in New Orleans

cruisinmeme

Passengers returning from 5 day cruise recently had their cars broken into at the whale parking lot in NOLA. The article I read the victim said it was obvious the thieves were looking for guns.

with NOLA being so full of crime I have wondered why they haven’t put a tall fence with barbed wire around the top around that lot. 
so you get off a cruise and it is below freezing. You have a bag for a window and a front seat full of glass. 

5 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I’m waiting with baited breath to see how people blame this on NCL.

Broken into by cruisers. With the recent increase in DSC, people are committing crimes out of desperation. “We are only stealing from people so we have enough to cover the increased costs on NCL.”

Thanks a lot, NCL. You can’t duck responsibility. This recent uptick in crime is on you, NCL. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Passengers returning from 5 day cruise recently had their cars broken into at the whale parking lot in NOLA. The article I read the victim said it was obvious the thieves were looking for guns.

with NOLA being so full of crime I have wondered why they haven’t put a tall fence with barbed wire around the top around that lot. 
so you get off a cruise and it is below freezing. You have a bag for a window and a front seat full of glass. 

Hearing lots of issues with crime in NOLA these days, unfortunately. Has definitely made us decide not to park in this lot for our upcoming cruise. Here is the actual news report:  

https://www.wdsu.com/article/travelers-come-back-to-downtown-nola-from-norwegian-cruise-to-find-their-vehicles-broken-into/42358631?fbclid=IwAR2AHBjgwXSvgte4pc23MKcMaKkhxeVACwtuTtqgUSPa9fm3dORNDMDhGxs

1 hour ago, Luvmypups said:

Hearing lots of issues with crime in NOLA these days, unfortunately. Has definitely made us decide not to park in this lot for our upcoming cruise. Here is the actual news report:  

https://www.wdsu.com/article/travelers-come-back-to-downtown-nola-from-norwegian-cruise-to-find-their-vehicles-broken-into/42358631?fbclid=IwAR2AHBjgwXSvgte4pc23MKcMaKkhxeVACwtuTtqgUSPa9fm3dORNDMDhGxs

Going on cruise January 8th and we will be dropped off. This was an impromptu cruise with daughter and granddaughter. Daughter said she wasn’t about to leave her new Lincoln in NOLA.. With the high crime in NOLA my husband and i actually cancelled a cruise we had booked. You run the risk of being car jacked on the interstate if traffic slows down. We live outside Baton Rouge (another crime capital) but being so close we are aware of how bad NOLA is. 

• Like 1

We parked at the port our first trip to NO.  After seeing the broken glass in the parking lot we have since used Machu Picchu Parking.  They have a walled lot with covered parking, shuttle service and good people. In fact, we are booked there next month.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, clackey said:

We parked at the port our first trip to NO.  After seeing the broken glass in the parking lot we have since used Machu Picchu Parking.  They have a walled lot with covered parking, shuttle service and good people. In fact, we are booked there next month.

Someone in another thread posted that their vehicle was taken for a joy ride 2 times in this lot. Got notifications that his vehicle was being driven on 2 different occasions and had 12 additional miles on it from when he left it. This made me wonder if you leave the keys with them at this lot?

3 hours ago, Luvmypups said:

Someone in another thread posted that their vehicle was taken for a joy ride 2 times in this lot. Got notifications that his vehicle was being driven on 2 different occasions and had 12 additional miles on it from when he left it. This made me wonder if you leave the keys with them at this lot?

We did not leave keys in March 2022 while parked in the Whale lot.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

We did not leave keys in March 2022 while parked in the Whale lot.

I know in the whale lot you just park and don’t leave keys. I was referring to the post where someone said they parked at Machu Picchu and someone took their car for a joy ride (implying someone working at the parking garage) when they parked there. Wasn’t sure if keys are left with an attendant there. 

36 minutes ago, Luvmypups said:

I know in the whale lot you just park and don’t leave keys. I was referring to the post where someone said they parked at Machu Picchu and someone took their car for a joy ride (implying someone working at the parking garage) when they parked there. Wasn’t sure if keys are left with an attendant there. 

I didn't notice that it was Machu Picchu.  

On 12/31/2022 at 8:06 AM, Luvmypups said:

Yes you do.

• Like 1

Lessons learned living in the suburbs of New Orleans: break-ins are often done by juveniles because they are rarely prosecuted. I never lock my car at night. I leave the glove compartment and center console open so that would-be thieves can see that there is nothing worth taking. My car has been rummaged through on at least two occasions. They left a mess, but did not break a window to get in. The Whale Lot is privately owned. Many signs posted saying they are not responsible for thefts (and legally they are not). Pay a few extra bucks and park at Fulton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweetpee_1993 said:

So if I’m reading this correctly the most secure parking for New Orleans port is Fulton?  Not the cruise terminal parking? First time sailing from NOLA in February.

No one is saying Fulton is the most secure, only that it is far more secure than the Whale Lot.  

Fulton is completely enclosed, multi-story, manned 24 hours, and has 64 security cameras.  The Whale lot is open to any one who wants to walk across the street.  We parked in the Whale lot last March and had no issues.  We're parking at Fulton this year.

Here's more information from St. Greg, a prolific poster here on CC:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No one is saying Fulton is the most secure, only that it is far more secure than the Whale Lot.  

Fulton is completely enclosed, multi-story, manned 24 hours, and has 64 security cameras.  The Whale lot is open to any one who wants to walk across the street.  We parked in the Whale lot last March and had no issues.  We're parking at Fulton this year.

Here's more information from St. Greg, a prolific poster here on CC:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

Thank you kindly! 

• 9 months later...

Any updates or info regarding current situation with parking in the whale lot?  I know there were issues with break-ins in early 2023. We ended up parking in the Fulton Garage in March 2023 but it was a nightmare getting into the garage on sail date, traffic was at a standstill due to all of the cars trying to get into the garage. The Whale lot is so much easier as long as it is safe. 

NOPD has been making efforts to stop break-ins at parking lots. It seems to be working. Break-ins around the Superdome during Saints games had gotten out of hand. When I park anywhere downtown I leave my doors unlocked and glove compartment and center console open, so the thieves can see that there is nothing to take. No problems.

• Like 2