A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

23 hours ago, mysty said:

Mysty does not mind! 😁

There has been no public announcement to date of what the problem is or that we even have a problem. Yesterday there were over 30 passengers quarantined, apparently for 24 hours. But most have largely, or partly, recovered after 24 hours. I'm not too unhappy about the lack of an announcement as everyone is aware of the precautions to take eg all food in La Terrazza served by crew, handwashing before entering etc. Silversea appears to have had a plan and have quickly implemented it. I'll leave it there and let mysty get back to her great thread.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

There has been no public announcement to date of what the problem is or that we even have a problem. Yesterday there were over 30 passengers quarantined, apparently for 24 hours. But most have largely, or partly, recovered after 24 hours. I'm not too unhappy about the lack of an announcement as everyone is aware of the precautions to take eg all food in La Terrazza served by crew, handwashing before entering etc. Silversea appears to have had a plan and have quickly implemented it. I'll leave it there and let mysty get back to her great thread.

Thank you for your update Turtle!  I hope the worst is over!  And thank you for your kind words! 🥰

• Like 1

One of the things we missed having on our first big adventure was binoculars.  We decided it would be a good idea to purchase some.  We used Air Miles points and ordered a pair of Nikon PROSTAFF 7S 8X30.  They are small and light weight and they made a welcome addition to our gear.  They will be included for this adventure.

61E6atJzsbL._SX425_.jpg.ba4e9408f529c0299de8a88f46993134.jpg

• Like 1

One of the things I like to do when I'm researching is to look for festivals in the places we would visit.  I found one for Aomori, Japan.  We would be there on April 29, 2024.  The Cherry Blossom festival there runs every year between  April 23rd and May 5th.

Hirosaki Sakura Matsuri 
Where: Hirosaki Park, Aomori Prefecture 
Summary: Cherry Blossom Festival featuring 2,600 cherry trees on the grounds of Hirosaki Castle and along the castle's moat in Hirosaki Park. 

https://aomori-tourism.com/en/event/detail_3624.html

"Near the end of April every year Aomori Prefecture becomes pink with the blossoms of cherry trees. As one of Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Viewing Sites and one of Japan’s Top 100 Sights of People and Nature, the cherry blossoms at Hirosaki Park are famed as one of the best cherry blossom sights in Japan. Hirosaki Park is a home to 2600 trees with over 50 different types of cherry including Somei Yoshino cherry blossoms, Shidarezakura (Weeping Cherry), and Yaezakura (Double Layer Cherry). Over 2,000,000 visitors visit the park during the Hirosaki Cherry Blossom Festival, which is held annually between April 23rd and May 5th.

Starting with the Sakura Tunnel (cherry blossom tunnel) on the west moat, the cherry blossoms of Hirosaki Park enchant visitors with a variety of displays throughout the viewing season. Visitors can paddle a small boat to view blossoms reflecting off the moat, come at night to see the trees illuminated, or see the grounds carpeted in falling blossoms. "

Here are links to the schedule for 2023 (2024 is not yet available):

https://www.hirosakipark.jp/sakura/

https://www.hirosakipark.jp/sakura/cherryblossomfestival/

The websites are in Japanese.  Use Google translate.

Here is a photo provided by Hirosaki Sakura Festival information site:

hirosakipark_2022_05829.jpg.99b191e356ec438b55cdc4532bca8d5d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mysty said:

One of the things I like to do when I'm researching is to look for festivals in the places we would visit.  I found one for Aomori, Japan.  We would be there on April 29, 2024.  The Cherry Blossom festival there runs every year between  April 23rd and May 5th.

Hirosaki Sakura Matsuri 
Summary: Cherry Blossom Festival featuring 2,600 cherry trees on the grounds of Hirosaki Castle and along the castle's moat in Hirosaki Park. 

"Near the end of April every year Aomori Prefecture becomes pink with the blossoms of cherry trees. As one of Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Viewing Sites and one of Japan’s Top 100 Sights of People and Nature, the cherry blossoms at Hirosaki Park are famed as one of the best cherry blossom sights in Japan. Hirosaki Park is a home to 2600 trees with over 50 different types of cherry including Somei Yoshino cherry blossoms, Shidarezakura (Weeping Cherry), and Yaezakura (Double Layer Cherry). Over 2,000,000 visitors visit the park during the Hirosaki Cherry Blossom Festival, which is held annually between April 23rd and May 5th.

Starting with the Sakura Tunnel (cherry blossom tunnel) on the west moat, the cherry blossoms of Hirosaki Park enchant visitors with a variety of displays throughout the viewing season. Visitors can paddle a small boat to view blossoms reflecting off the moat, come at night to see the trees illuminated, or see the grounds carpeted in falling blossoms. "

Mysty, if you plan a private excursion to the Cherry Blossom festival and have room for one more participant,  please let me know. Maxine 

11 hours ago, mysty said:

Hirosaki Sakura Matsuri 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Mysty, if you plan a private excursion to the Cherry Blossom festival and have room for one more participant,  please let me know. Maxine 

I'll definitely keep you posted! 😁

24 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

I'm hoping that Silversea will organize something for this festival to replace one of the 2 World Cruise events that disappeared along with the 2 ports in Russia.   In 2019 Silversea arranged for the World Cruisers to attend the Festival in Sevilla while we were in port.

Feria de Abril: The festival week of Seville, with flamenco, horses and many food stalls and wine. The festival week takes place every year two weeks after the Semana Santa. The Feria de Abril takes place on the site of the Los Remedios festival, southwest of the city, near the Guadalquivir River.

Edited by mysty

31 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Mysty, where are you finding the WC special events? Thank you.

They are on the web page for the 2024 World Cruise. There is a horizontal menu bar and Events is one of the items.   The listed Events now stand at 4.

AN EVENING ON THE USS MISSOURI - Honolulu

A UNIQUE NIGHT OF MAGIC AT ULURU (an overnight) - from Darwin 

WHERE MAJESTIC TEMPLES MEET (an overnight) - from Semarang

THE PAST AND FUTURE IN COLOUR - Shanghai 

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/world-cruise/world-cruise-2024.html

Edited by mysty

9 minutes ago, Captainlyle said:

Wow what great photos you have posted.Are you up loading on shore or using ships Wi-Fi.If so must be STARLINK I hope it is that would be a tremendous advancement and improvement from the old system.Thanks keep enjoying your cruise all the best enjoy.

Thanks Captain!   We are not on this journey yet.   The 2024 World Cruise departs on January 15th 2024.   What I'm posting relates to research in preparation for the cruise.  😁

Approximately a year from today (2024 being a leap year) on April 1 we would be in Chan May (Hue/Danang), Vietnam.  We have booked a full day included excursion (one of the few full day excursions booked).

ANCIENT HUE & PERFUME RIVER
START: 08:00
DURATION: 8 HOURS
DIFFICULTY: EXTENSIVE ACTIVITY

Relive Vietnam's royal grandeur and become immersed in her culture as you visit the imperial city of Hue (pronounced 'whay'), with a cruise on the Perfume River. Adding to your experience is a stop at a lively marketplace and a visit to the magnificent tomb of Emperor Minh Mang.

Begin your day at the pier in Chan May, where you board an air-conditioned coach for the approximate 1.5-hour journey to Hue.

HUE

Located eight miles (thirteen kilometers) from the coast and close to the Laos border, Hue has long been known as the 'Imperial City of the Nguyen Emperors'. The Emperors rose to glory during their reign from 1802 to 1945 and were the last ruling family of Vietnam. The city's fascinating treasures include the Imperial Citadel, Kings' Tomb, temples, and pagodas.

ROYAL CITADEL

Functioning as the center of imperial activity for 13 emperors of the Nguyen Dynasty, the city boasts impressive buildings and a sense of history. Gain an appreciation of that history with an exploration of the Royal Citadel. Built by Emperor Gia Long in 1804, the citadel features what is called the Noon Gate, or 'Ngo Mon'. This is the spot where kings announced the yearly calendar and the names of new doctors of philosophy.

The Palace of Supreme Harmony and adjoining Esplanade of Great Salutation were equally important in imperial life, hosting coronations, emperors' birthday parties, and court proceedings. Having been restored, the early-19th-century palace retains much of its original grandeur.

Continue your walking introduction of the Citadel with a look at the Imperial Enclosure. The Citadel's comparison to China's Forbidden City will be apparent as you observe this intriguing citadel within a citadel.

THIEN MU PAGODA

Next, visit Thien Mu Pagoda, located a short drive from the Citadel. Founded in 1601 by Lord Nguyen Hoang, the governor of Thuan Hoa Province, Thien Mu is the symbol of the city and one of the holiest pagodas in all of Vietnam. With its days as a hot-bed for anti-government protests long past, the pagoda today is a serene place where novice gardeners tend bonsai and monks deliver incantations.

DRAGON BOAT CRUISE

Awaiting you in front of the pagoda is your dragon boat. Climb aboard and cruise on the Perfume River in a similar manner to that of the kings who travelled this route before you. Take in the sights and savour tranquillity as you relax. Afterwards, travel to the lunch venue, where Vietnamese cuisine is offered.

EMPEROR'S TOMB

There is one more stop on your comprehensive itinerary: a visit to the magnificent tomb of Emperor Minh Mang. Considered the most brilliant emperor of the Nguyen Dynasty, Minh Mang had his tomb built on the west bank of the river. The tomb features unique green and yellow tiles.

From this picturesque spot, begin your return journey to Chan May.

I'm really hoping that the Extensive Activity difficulty designation is overstated.  If anyone out there has taken this tour I would appreciate your feedback.  Thank You!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Mysty, thank you for all your informative posts. Do you want to post your current tour schedule?  I was on Wc2022, but have other travels before WC2024.

The only other cruise we have booked is the Holiday season cruise on the Shadow departing December 18th 2023 from Bridgetown.   It ends in San Francisco on January 15th which is the start of the World Cruise.   It is a long wait.   This thread has allowed me to whittle away the time by exploring and sharing.   Makes the wait more fun! 😁

Mysty, thank you for all your informative posts. Do you want to post your current tour schedule?  I was on Wc2022, but have other travels before WC2024.

Does your holiday cruise, before WC2024 stop in San Diego? I'm studying Spanish near Sevilla currently. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Does your holiday cruise, before WC2024 stop in San Diego? I'm studying Spanish near Sevilla currently. 

It stops in LA before it arrives in San Francisco on January 14th for an overnight.   We're hoping to arrange transport from the ship to whichever hotel will be used for the World Cruise pre-sail night.   We want to attend the Gala dinner on the 14th.

1 hour ago, mysty said:

It stops in LA before it arrives in San Francisco on January 14th for an overnight.   We're hoping to arrange transport from the ship to whichever hotel will be used for the World Cruise pre-sail night.   We want to attend the Gala dinner on the 14th.

We live part time in LA, (Marina Del Ray which is not far from LAX) while we will not be there in December I am happy to help you sort out transportation should you need assistance. Jean. 

22 minutes ago, JSR said:

We live part time in LA, (Marina Del Ray which is not far from LAX) while we will not be there in December I am happy to help you sort out transportation should you need assistance. Jean. 

Thank you JSR!  The Gala dinner would be held in San Francisco.  If we need help with transportation options in LA I will gratefully ask for your advice!  🥰

Just now, mysty said:

Thank you JSR!  The Gala dinner would be held in San Francisco.  If we need help with transportation options in LA I will gratefully ask for your advice!  🥰

Ahh. Replying before coffee always leads to confusion on my part. 😂

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, JSR said:

Ahh. Replying before coffee always leads to confusion on my part. 😂

I don't have that excuse for my bouts of confusion JSR!  🤣  Sometimes confusion reigns supreme in my life!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JoGay said:

We are doing the same tour in DaNang.  We also hope the activity level isn’t too extensive!

Great news JoGay!  The tour did sound like we would see a lot of interesting places.  I'll probably fall asleep on the way back to the port. 😅

6 hours ago, mysty said:

I'm really hoping that the Extensive Activity difficulty designation is overstated.  If anyone out there has taken this tour I would appreciate your feedback.

It’s less strenuous than your walk to Black Tartan in mid-winter.

• Haha 3