A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

One of the delights we enjoyed at World Cruise events were the lunches or dinners.  Here's a glimpse from 2019.....

From a restaurant lunch in Kyoto....

DSC06310.JPG.179ee9bd2f6e4a7512d28d650280fac3.JPG

DSC06312.JPG.4076624f63a4de6519b4a554331acfae.JPG

From a lunch at Cathedral Cellars in Cape Town.....

DSC07412.JPG.7fe878eb0fbe779dca9c36245dcd2d31.JPG

DSC07416a.jpg.38b1bbdcc88b7e578956ad87042e2454.jpg

From the Farewell dinner at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.....

DSC08175.JPG.7be66286dda15a6a29f9e8d846d79ca0.JPG

DSC08177.JPG.2fc8e29c3caa5d4b80867277f89c83ca.JPG

It will be interesting to see what the creative minds come up with for the next big adventure.

• Like 2

Hirosaki Castle is a most fantastic spot in cherry blossom time in Japan. We spent a whole day there and I even rowed the beautiful Rojaan around the lake. You will definitely enjoy it.

As to Hue we did a private tour to the Royal Palace compound. Our guide had been a pilot in the South Vietnamese President's squadron and had to serve 3 years in North Vietnam at a re education camp. Fortunately for us the re education failed and so he was able to show why the official version of damage during the Vietnam War by the Americans was wrong. The physical evidence does not support the official version.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Hirosaki Castle is a most fantastic spot in cherry blossom time in Japan. We spent a whole day there and I even rowed the beautiful Rojaan around the lake. You will definitely enjoy it.

As to Hue we did a private tour to the Royal Palace compound. Our guide had been a pilot in the South Vietnamese President's squadron and had to serve 3 years in North Vietnam at a re education camp. Fortunately for us the re education failed and so he was able to show why the official version of damage during the Vietnam War by the Americans was wrong. The physical evidence does not support the official version.

Thank you drron!  You are a romantic lad!  Rowing around the lake sounds magical!

You also seem to find very interesting and unusual tours.   Your Royal Palace compound tour sounded very enlightening!

I did some research on Fraser Island.  We have an included excursion booked here.... BUSH TUCKER & MEDICINE WALK WITH A RANGER.

For the Fraser Island port ships anchor in the strait about 500 meters off the island on the sheltered western side, at the same point on the island as the biggest accommodation provider, Kingfisher Bay Resort. Passengers are tendered to a jetty that extends for several hundred meters into Kingfisher Bay.

I found this interesting tidbit https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lake-mckenzie .

"LOCATED 100 METERS ABOVE SEA level, Lake McKenzie on Fraser Island is one of the most beautiful and well-known freshwater lakes in Australia. The lake is a “perched lake” meaning it exists well above the water table and is thus comprised of pure rainwater only. 

This unique environment, along with the high levels of acidity in the lake, makes the water unsuitable for nearly all forms of plant and fish life. Without natural waste from plant and animal life, the lake is extremely pure. Strangely enough, the lake is too pure to sustain natural life that would otherwise inhabit its waters. Along with the clean water, the sand around Lake McKenzie is pure silica, giving the beach a shimmering white color. The famous heart-shaped-tree adds to the already pretty landscape."

9a1f439e7c73cbf11d18afb7b7c6c413.jpeg.691f5a5c4a8bb5fb23e913cf13a69c4b.jpeg

Lake Mckenzie seems to be about 1/2 hour from Kingfisher Bay Resort.

Capture.JPG.574789a3960986fbcbfc4a290c6a1213.JPG

Silversea offers a selected excursion that included Lake Mckenzie for $199 USD.

FRASER ISLAND EXPLORATION WITH A RANGER (FRA-A)
Fraser Island, Australia
Escape into the World Heritage-listed wilderness of Fraser Island and discover ancient rainforest growing in seemingly impossible conditions. Guided by experienced Ranger, learn about Australia's most stunning freshwater lake, freshwater streams over sand, and the history of Central Station. Points of interest seen on this excursion may include: Scenic Views, Central Station Rainforest, Wanggoolba Creek, Lake McKenzie.

We are consider this option now.

• Thanks 1

It seems the tours available to Lake Mckenzie leave from the mainland and are typically full day tours.  There is an option to rent a 4WD at a location close to the pier where we would get off the tenders.

https://www.fraserisland4wd.com.au/4wd-hire-at-kingfisher-bay/

Capture2.JPG.baf5a6518744b66130c4eb37921cd62e.JPG

The company did get reasonable reviews.  Not sure we would be that adventuresome.

One of the things we enjoy doing on our adventures is trying new foods. Some interesting nibbles that can be enjoyed by visiting the markets in Kota Kinabalu, the capital of the Sabah state.  We would be there on March 27, 2024.

How about ........Lemang Periuk Kera

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/lemang-periuk-kera-pitcher-plant-rice

58a1d70e-82ea-4e29-b8b1-39a151668499f919b9acd9be7d2ddd_35507983_420443271754906_5750541320456241152_n.jpg.72437387af8c7b9c47b2eb54ff1cd29d.jpg

"The dull wrappers that sheath sticky rice aren’t much to look at. But locals know these unassuming pouches are the traps of carnivorous pitcher plants. Chefs prepare this dish by stuffing the ferocious flora with glutinous rice, then packing them in a steamer and covering them in coconut milk. After steaming for an hour, compact, coconut-scented packages of rice emerge."

Might be worth a taste.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yikes Mysty!

I hope they clean out those pitcher plants really well before you eat them. Decomposing insects might not go very well with your scrumptious rice filling!

I consider myself quite adventurous but my word for the day is "pass"!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yikes Mysty!

I hope they clean out those pitcher plants really well before you eat them. Decomposing insects might not go very well with your scrumptious rice filling!

29 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I consider myself quite adventurous but my word for the day is "pass"!

Okay lads!  I've noted your words of wisdom.  I have been known to try edibles that cross the line in terms of culinary delights.   We'll see how brave I feel.  🤣

M, it's not the pitcher plant flesh itself that gives me the willies. It's the contents therein.

Pitcher plants have a liquid in the bottom that they use to digest insects that fall into the pitcher. Thus, I hope they wash all the little half-digested bug parts out really well before they serve it! Otherwise, a few insect parts in your rice might make for some extra protein.

Maybe you'll be ahead of the curve though; I hear we'll all be eating insects soon enough!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

M, it's not the pitcher plant flesh itself that gives me the willies. It's the contents therein.

Pitcher plants have a liquid in the bottom that they use to digest insects that fall into the pitcher. Thus, I hope they wash all the little half-digested bug parts out really well before they serve it! Otherwise, a few insect parts in your rice might make for some extra protein.

Maybe you'll be ahead of the curve though; I hear we'll all be eating insects soon enough!

10 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Reading the last few posts - Little Shop of Horrors comes to mind.

JP  I knew you were talking about the potential for semi-digested bugs  in the pitcher plant.  😁  I drank the snake wine in Vietnam on the Mekong Delta cruise.   Sometimes I venture into potentially unsafe culinary territory.   I'm not sure about this particular exploration though.   I just found it interesting.  😁

Cruzin...you are obviously a film buff!  That particular reference was spot on for me.   I don't knowingly explore horrors.   We'll see! 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mysty said:

Sometimes I venture into potentially unsafe culinary territory.

A couple of my friends did a land tour to Asia about 15 years ago and visited one of the many herbal medicine shops in Bangkok.  Not sure what they took, but he was confined to his hotel bathroom for three days afterwards and he swore it was something from the medicine shop that got him.  He jokingly told me it was the worst three days of his life he's ever wasted.  Its good to be adventurous but not at the expense of missing precious days in your voyage.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

A couple of my friends did a land tour to Asia about 15 years ago and visited one of the many herbal medicine shops in Bangkok.  Not sure what they took, but he was confined to his hotel bathroom for three days afterwards and he swore it was something from the medicine shop that got him.  He jokingly told me it was the worst three days of his life he's ever wasted.  Its good to be adventurous but not at the expense of missing precious days in your voyage.

Wise advice Cruzin!  I will be careful! I do have to consider Myster!  He's very accommodating but bathroom access must be available! 😁

Edited by mysty
  • Haha 1

We would be in Singapore March 22nd and 23rd 2024.  We have an evening excursion booked for the 22nd and a morning excursion booked for the 23rd.  I did a little recon to find something interesting to do for the morning or afternoon of the 22nd.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/house-of-tan-teng-niah

House of Tan Teng Niah - 37 Kerbau Rd 219168 Singapore

"This vividly colorful house was constructed in 1900 by a local businessman named Tan Teng Niah. At the time, the neighborhood was an industrial zone (Tan’s candy and rubber factories were located nearby) and many of Singapore’s ethnic-Chinese businessmen lived in similar villas.

Believed to be the last such house in existence, it’s now preserved under landmark status from the National Heritage Board.

Although the house’s historical background is interesting, the key to its popularity among locals and visitors is its current appearance. The exterior is painted in a rainbow riot of vivid colors, with every element—each individual slat, molding, panel, and pilaster—in a different hue than its neighbor. An array of sky blue, avocado green, traffic-cone orange, highlighter yellow, and nail-polish pink shades adorns the house. Further embellishments beyond the psychedelic color-palette include gilded Chinese calligraphy, intricate floral lunettes, and a bamboo-tiled roof."

e46c3681-f51f-4541-8e30-a56d1e10415b81bb0f171ced0ad4c2_image0.jpg.f7795aee6a6e3facbc62fcac240d06a4.jpg

It's about 15 minutes away from the Harbourfront Terminal by car.

House.JPG.c9649363db4454e5a4dc4d8139b722dc.JPG

I am fascinated by cemeteries.  Here is an interesting one.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/bukit-brown-cemetery

Bukit Brown Cemetery - 6 Lor Halwa Singapore

"While exact numbers are not available, an estimated 100,000 people lie buried within the 0.86 square kilometers (212 acres) that comprise Bukit Brown Cemetery. However, final resting places are not so final in this crowded city-state, and now this unique cemetery set aside for Singapore’s Chinese residents faces disruption to meet the relentless demands of development.

Originally owned by private Chinese clans for burials, the site became an official municipal cemetery in 1922. However, the new plots sat dormant for months despite the pressing need for burial grounds, as the Europeans that laid out the cemetery did not take into account the feng shui requirements of Chinese burial plots and thus had to re-plot much of the land."

txvng089l9mdbuuq54c4709b6524ca6280_IMG_5958.jpg.a84b4a3764fe64e79147a15461979d74.jpg

It is about 15 to 20 minutes away from Harbourfront Terminal by car.

cemetery.JPG.5775b9f8ca028dace3e020d2a8b7b15b.JPG